Jaguars headed back to NAIA Opening Round
May 7, 2014 at 12:07 a.m.
NAIA SOFTBALL OPENING ROUND
• Game 1: UHV vs. Indiana University-Southeast
• Game 2: Auburn Montgomery vs. Bryan (Tenn.)
• Game 3: Winner Game 1 vs. Winner Game 2
• Game 4: Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2 (loser eliminated)
• Game 5: Loser Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4 (loser eliminated)
• Game 6: Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 5
• Game 7, if necessary: repeat of Game 6
UHV's dream of repeating as the Association of Independent Institutions champions didn't come to fruition, but the season isn't over just yet.
For the third straight season, the Jaguars (33-13) are headed back to the NAIA National Championship Opening Round. The Jaguars will head to Montgomery, Ala., for the four-team double-elimination tournament. The Jaguars will enter the tournament as the No. 2 seed and will face No. 3-seeded Indiana University-Southeast (44-10). Auburn Montgomery (38-6) is the top seed, and Bryan (Tenn.) is the fourth seed after finishing 29-22.
The winner of the opening round tournament will advance to the 34th annual NAIA Softball World Series in Columbus, Ga., from May 23 to 29.
The Jaguars traveled to Lubbock for last year's opening round, where they advanced to the final and lost to host Lubbock Christian in the second of two games to decide the tournament winner. They had beaten Lubbock Christian 5-1 earlier in the day to force the decisive final game.
The trip to Montgomery, Ala., will mark the fourth time in the last seven seasons the team has advanced to the NAIA national softball championship tournament.