Who. What. Wear.: Blast from the past - An '80s tribute
If you go
• WHAT: "Back to the '80s" musical
• WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday
• WHERE: Victoria West High School Auditorium, 307 W. Tropical Drive
• COST: $5 (no reserved seating)
• CONTACT: 361-788-2830, ext. 39118
Rock the Look
• Chelsea & Violet sequin skirt mini in tribal, $52.80 (Dillard's)
• Aeropostale pocket woven Hi-Lo tank in olive, $14 (Victoria Mall)
• Steve Madden Troopa lace-up boots in stone, $99.99 (Dillard's)
• BCBGeneration affirmation bracelet, $18 (Dillard's)
Fashion in the '80s was awful, from MC Hammer-inspired parachute pants to hyper-colored everything - and let us not forget the holy grail of hideous, the scrunchie. It's obvious why many refer to it as the ugliest decade ever.
Which is why I threw a toddler-sized fit last year when Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga tried to perpetuate shoulder pads, and girls began wearing the mom-jean short-shorts.
Luckily, designers bypassed that wretched era and continued into the '90s this season.
This fashion triumph would have been the perfect segue into a column highlighting a few of my favorite things: grunge, slip dresses and crop tops; instead, I was inspired to revisit my gnarly awkward years when I saw a poster announcing "Back to the '80s," a musical being presented by the Victoria West High School fine arts department.
So, here goes nothing: My humble pursuit to rejuvenate what, thankfully, Instagram never captured: the '80s.