AnonymousUser

game05

Comment history

  • game05 

    boy, i feel so much safer knowing that a handful of people aren't going to be sitting at home, getting high and eating Doritos.

    i certainly understand that the police have to do their jobs, and that to them, a law is a law and a violator is a violator. however, it seems like such an irresponsible waste of time and resources to be focusing so much on a crime that really doesn't improve the safety and security of the citizens at large. i don't know anything about cocaine, but you're talking about less than an ounce of marijuana per person, which is an amount solely for personal use and not at all an amount that would go toward distribution.

    what's really sad about marijuana laws right now is what it does to those convicted. the young people arrested, maybe they were headed off to college or otherwise had skills that they could have taken into jobs to really benefit the community. but now, with this criminal record, they will be very hard-pressed to find anyone willing to hire them, a problem they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

    fortunately, more and more younger police offers recognize this (from conversations with officers and secondhand experiences) and employ more of a "let's destroy your pot and pretend i never saw it" technique of enforcement. unfortunately, too many higher-up police offers still treat marijuana as a dangerous and disturbing drug, and are too quick to bring up criminal charges to someone with an amount for personal use.

    what's also mystifying is that it took these officers 14 months to find not even a pound of marijuana? 14 months? i could seriously get you the same amount within a couple of hours, and i'm not even a user. the average high school kid could do the same in even less time.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    i'm not referring to anyone specifically, but i think the whole of Southern Texas is a pretty racist area of the US (homophobic, too).

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    i've spent a good number of years in sales, and the most successful ones aren't so much the "listener" types, but the ones who subtly tell you what to do. so many people out there are just passive and indecisive or just don't know what they want, that they really crave someone who will just tell them what to do and that everything will be ok.

    most people would agree that Lincoln was a great leader, and it's hard to look at his history and say that he was a great listener, so much as he just told the country what was best, and he succeeded on that. any George Bush Jr. fans would say the same thing.

    listening is great, but it doesn't necessarily precede action.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    why people decide to ruin a grilled cheese sandwich by adding a tomato i'll never understand.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    the same people who tell us that people shouldn't be saying mean things about Barack Obama were the same ones, four years ago, who were telling us that George Bush Jr. was evil and the worst murderer on earth.

    hypocrisy at its finest.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    This comment was removed by the user.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    financial institutions? so all the honeys party at the bank now? i didn't realize that women didn't hang out anymore and apparently was still under an antiquated impression that they were still social creatures, too.

    if a person is hoping for any socializing, just hanging out where other people are hanging out, i think you just have to do what everyone else in Victoria does on the weekends--leave town. go to the RiverWalk in San Antonio or the beaches of Corpus. not that community classes and such shouldn't be ruled out, but they're not always an option for people with difficult schedules.

    Victoria is the most unique town i've ever lived in. when i first moved here i thought that for a town of about 80,000 people there would at least be some little area where people hung out or bounced around from place to place, but there isn't (or maybe i'm missing something?). the City works and acts like a town of 5,000 people (which isn't necessarily bad), but i think it means that socialization requires either an existing group of old high-school friends to hang out with, or you just have to go farther afield to be around people.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    the most-used password is "password1"

    haven't had an account hacked, but once got a trojan that changed the password to my facebook and email account. i was able to create a new facebook account and have the other one deleted, but i never did get the email account back.

    what's surprising is just how many people we know where the only way we have of contacting them is through email. i actually lost four or five acquaintences that way because i just could never email them back.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    don't quote me exactly on the numbers, but if couples get married in their 20s, they have something like a 75% chance of divorce. but in the 30s it's more like 25%. again, not exact numbers, but there is a considerable difference when people don't rush into marriage and allow themselves to get a little older and wiser, and most importantly, to have the time to define yourself as an individual instead of marrying early and defining yourself based on another person.

    Flag this comment

  • game05 

    i was never really sure where the ladies hung out in Victoria. the bars have always been really sparse, not like that's a great place to meet chicks, anyway. i've been told Target is actually the best place to meet people in Victoria. but it's probably like every other small town that you have to know somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who will introduce you.

    Flag this comment

Previous