Comments

• My life is too busy to waste on ignorance. However, there is a young, intelligent, beautiful girl who has put her time, money, and heart into this benefit concert so I feel the need to comment on a few things.
    First of all, my education on Darfur and other genocides comes from genocide scholars. Those who say it can’t be stopped are ill-informed. Those who say these benefit concerts never help the people obviously haven’t worked on any issues to help others or personally talked to those who have been a recipient of that help.
    It’s interesting how these negative comments all have something in common, but I don’t want to stereotype.
    Like I said, my time is too valuable to waste on ignorance. I know this genocide can be stopped based on information provided by well educated people and history. I know events like these are beneficial based on knowledge from refugees and personal experience.
    My guess, and this is just a guess, is that those who make comments like this have never lent a hand because if you had then you would have a changed heart and would never, ever, ever discourage any act of kindness, regardless of the challenge.
    You are completely wrong. Every single act of kindness is worth something. This is who we are. We will do works like this and will die serving others. You may choose to try to bring us down by hateful words or negative comments, but as a brilliant person recently said, “You can’t hurt us anymore.” These are my last words for people like you. You are a waste of my time.

November 13, 2008 at 7:24 a.m.

• Dontsleep...When have any of these benefit concerts EVER helped the people for whom the help was intended?  There are armed gangs in the region who will not allow help to the people they are killing.  The help you are so passionate about will be used by the warlords and those suffering won't even know about the help you tried to send.  As VBB said, it's a noble idea, but ultimately useless.  The only way to stop the raping and killing in the area would be to send in troops to kill every last one of the bad guys.  Are you willing to send American troops to a place that makes Iraq look like paradise on Earth?  I'm not.  Any politician who advocates such will soon find him/herself out of office, and properly so.  We don't have a dog in that fight.  Alton is correct.  It is a demonstration of what happens to people when they are unarmed and unable to fight back.

November 12, 2008 at 5:20 p.m.

• One of the many things you can do is make a simple phone call to Kay Bailey Hutchinson, one of our Texas senators. The phone number for her Austin location is 512-916-5834. All you have to do is tell her that you're concerned about the terrible atrocitys being commited in Darfur, Sudan and would like her to do everything in her power to help put an end to it or pay special attention to bills that concern Darfur. It takes less than a minute and you would help put an end to the crisis.
    The choice is yours.

November 11, 2008 at 10:02 p.m.

• Actually BigJ, I could care less about Iraqs resources or Darfurs either.  My point is...........we Americans spend a whole lot of time & money on other countries when we have a lot of the same problems HERE in our country that we turn a blind eye to.  Celebrities adopting foreign kids when we have more than our fair share of kids who need good loving homes.  We really need to focus inward right now instead of out.

November 11, 2008 at 6:44 p.m.

• You know, every day a family becomes homeless, children go to bed hungry, women & children are being raped & murdered.  People are being shot dead in the streets over turf.  This is in America, we should put America & Americans first.  I'm sorry, that's my belief.
    Until Darfur gets it's politics situated, there is nothing WE can do to save them.  It sounds mean, but it's the truth.  Who will be the recipient of these donations?  How do you know they will get to the people who truly are in need & not to the people who are doing the killing & tormenting ?  It's a noble idea, but we have very needy people here in America too.

November 11, 2008 at 5:42 p.m.

• In Darfur villages have been destroyed.
    Mass killings are taking place.
    Women and children raped or gang raped, mutilated and slaughtered.
    Millions have been displaced and are starving and homeless.
    Why should you care?
    How can you not care?

November 11, 2008 at 5:11 p.m.

• I should care about Darfur why?

November 11, 2008 at 12:13 a.m.

• Darfur is another country that proves genocide occurs in countries in which the citizens do not have easy access to firearms and ammo.  They are like sheep waiting for slaughter.  We must never, never let our government take away our right to bear arms in any form.  It is indeed the fourth balance of power.  It is our duty to protect ourselves and family.  There are not enough police officers to ensure our safety or stop an aggressive individual determine to harm us.

November 10, 2008 at 9:55 p.m.