Comments

• Malaise, I'm not stupid. Jhnsn, Thank you for answering his comment. : )

Speechfree, as far as you post goes, been there, done that, was no help at all, left the bastard all by myself. See I do have choices.

September 30, 2009 at 6:53 p.m.

• Malaise - Yes you are right...it still is a government run insurance (obviously) Military = Government. I think she knows that, but may have thought it was better and she posed the question why leave it! And so, I answered her with many reasons and the government having control over it was one of the many also. You DID NOT get a choice in the military back when we were in, in '01 ! You saw the on base docs and if you went off base and it wasn't an emergency they did not pay. Now, I hear they have more options. I hope they are better.

I wish I had a choice where I could of had our first child. It was a horrific experience having her on base. And even before giving birth the OBGYN I saw was far from a REAL doc in my eyes. Every time we would go see her especially in my last few weeks of pregnancy all she talked about was her trip she was taking to The Bahamas. She was so wrapped up in herself that she got my DUE DATE wrong on the paper work. I went in one afternoon. It was supposed to be my 2nd to last visit. ( they happen once a week the last month) Anyway, went in and thank the original doc was on her trip So,the on call doc immediately rushed me to the Delivery room because I had sever preeclampsia ( my blood pressure was 200/ 110)! (because I was almost a MONTH PAST DUE)! My horror did not stop there.

After the docs up there insisted I push for 4 hours they decide they have to do an emergency C-Section. All that went fine until I got home and the very next evening I was rushed back to the ER because I got a staff infection in my cut from UN SANITARY condition's from the surgery! (IT HAPPENS ALL TOO OFTEN IN THE MILITARY. So, that meant I had to be cut back open and have mut cut packed for over a month until all the infection was gone(THE WORSE PAIN I HAVE EVER GONE THROUGH)

What most don't understand about military docs is they don't not get paid what we know docs in the civilian world get paid. They get a base pay. There college and experience for the most part is far from a typical doc you would find in the civilian world.

SO, yes, just because it was the Military and they offer all these BENEFITS. NO, not all of them are what they are MADE out to be. I think the only wonderful thing that comes from being in the military is the GI bill. Simple as that.

September 30, 2009 at 8:37 a.m.

• victorian by birth, military medical insurance is ***gasp*** government-run healthcare! And some times the military does "layoff" employees. I've known plenty over the years. Maybe he left the military because he'd already been shot at enough. Or didn't want another long deployment with a sick wife and children at home. Sometimes you have to accept that people make the best decisions they can for themselves at the time, so criticizing that is out of line, IMO. Hindsight is 20-20.

Wow! 87 million people already covered by government insurance! Personally, I'm tired of my premiums going to line the pockets of insurance company CEOs and stockholders.

Health Insurance Coverage
    Overview

The number of people with health insurance increased from 253.4 million in 2007 to 255.1 million in 2008.

The number of people without health insurance coverage rose from 45.7 million in 2007 to 46.3 million in 2008.

Between 2007 and 2008, the number of people covered by private health insurance decreased from 202.0 million to 201.0 million, while the number covered by government health insurance climbed from 83.0 million to 87.4 million. The number covered by employment-based health insurance declined from 177.4 million to 176.3 million.

September 29, 2009 at 8:02 p.m.

• Birth
    operator: 911 what is your emergency ?
    Victim : my abusive boyfriend is out of control and hurting me !
    operator: has he done this before ?
    victim : yes but what does that have to do with it ?
    operator: Afterwards did you have a chance to leave ?
    Victim: yes we decided to try again.
    Operator: well you have made bad choices. You need to take personnel responsibility. How often do you expect government to rescue you ? If i apply certain blogger measures you brought this on yourself. Lay in it !!!

See by Birth humans make mistakes. We are flawed. But as a christian nation the police will rescue her again and again. We will rescue the drunk driver from the wreckage of a car wreck, and treat the diabetic on assistance that had the second piece of pie. America the Beautiful.

September 29, 2009 at 6:24 a.m.

• Okay, I had typed up this long response, got interrupted & my train left the station. I guess the bottom line is this, where is the line between societys responsibility & the individuals responsibility. That is the invisible fine line that I don't think anyone will agree with 100%. I wish the powers that be could find some middle ground to agree upon to help those that need it, without forcing it upon those that don't want it/don't need it & it costing a fortune with the burden of payment on those that are already paying so much.

I do understand where you are coming from Jhnsn, I don't think we are too far apart in how we think. I do think this is a bad method of communicting as so much is lost in translation. Too much comes out as black & white, where grey exists, grey is just harder to communicate.

September 28, 2009 at 10:04 p.m.

• MEANT TO SAY "ROOF'S" NOT ROVES....ERROR ON MY PART!!!!! GOOD EVENING!

September 28, 2009 at 8:59 p.m.

• I understand where you are coming from in regards to the Choices we made as well as others make. And believe me just because I wrote this blog does not mean I am for Obama and his crazy ideas of what health care should be. I am far from it. But, I think most need to understand that whether it is his plan..which I Pray doesn't make it in! Hopefully there will be a better revised plan and we can all live a lot better standard of life. But, what I am saying is most likely it will all have to come out of our pockets somehow. It's just always the question, at what cost?! When is too much too much etc! Money unfortunately is what make EVERYTHING go round in this world and...to keep everyone HEALTHY and have decent roves over there heads...it will have to come from somewhere.

For the record! I am an independent..used to be Republican,( I didn't vote in this last election for MANY reasons). A lot has made me sway from any political party. I would rather be on the sidelines taking it all in and working with others like myself to make a difference. I don't like to be tied down to a particular WAY...just because of my Political views...there is much more to it all than your Political views...bottom line!

September 28, 2009 at 8:56 p.m.

• YES...YES...YES....AGREED!!! it all starts within the community. I myself have given a lot of my time and effort to every community I have lived in. I always make sure my children are a part of most of the things I do to give and help the less fortunate. Every year we donate toys and clothes, FOOD! I give help to homeless person's when I see they obviously could obviously use something, anything. I don't wonder what they will do with the money, etc. I just give what I can. I WISH I could do more in many ways!!! It's those little things that help in such a bigger way. Imagine if we could all be able to do those things. And I agree with you also in regard s to the ones who take advantage. But, that all goes back us as a community to look out for those things and let others know whats happening so hopefully it doesn't happen again. Yes, it ALL goes back to us being together as a whole in this community and as well as in general society!

September 28, 2009 at 8:44 p.m.

• I never questioned his loyalty to the country. I applaud anyone who sacrifices themselves for our country. I was just wondering why he got out. My friends hubby is also a Marine & I know they are not getting rich by any means. The BAQ he gets for off base housing, depending on where you are stationed, is either adequate or not enough, but better than nothing, luckily for them it was more than enough for housing. The insurance they have is better than mine as far as choices & cost. That's my point as well, I see the MCR D plans & the choices they have vs cost & the fact that it is mandatory & I don't like what I see. I don't wish to be forced into one of those plans, I would prefer to keep the one I have, but that option will most likely not be an option. If you thought Champus was lacking, you would really not like what MCR D has to offer. Again, it's about perspective.

Bottom line though, your husband made a choice, nobody made that choice for him. This government healthcare will not give people a choice, we will all be forced into it wether we like it or not, to please a few. The uninsured are the minority of the population, not the majority. We are looking at taking away choices from many for a few, how is that fair? This shouldn't be all or none, there should be middle ground.

September 28, 2009 at 8:37 p.m.

• jhnsn, I do believe that every situation should be considered case by case. Some people get caught between the cracks & then there are those that make choices that put themselves in those situations. I have much sympathy for those that are homeless not by choice. It is impossible to get a job when one does not have an address, a place to clean up or proper clothes to wear to attain said job. These are very difficult issues to handle. The government cannot be in the place to help everybody all the time for all of eternity. It is up to us as individuals to help those less fortunate in whatever way we can. It is also up to us as individuals to look out for our family, if we started out with that mindset then many people wouldn't be out on the streets, unless it was their choice.

The politicians are looking out for themselves & their job security. Homeless people don't vote so why should they care about them. We need to make sure our politicians care about everybody as a whole instead of only those with their beliefs. We need to disengage from class warfare that they have instilled, pitting us against each other & come together as communities to help those within our communities to help themselves. The only way we can truley help those that most need it is to do it locally.

September 28, 2009 at 8:25 p.m.

• victorianbybirth - another good ? My husband had already done 8 years. The last 3 years of those 8 years he served I was married to him in the Marines. It was a wonderful time. To be honest though..The insurance isn't all it may be made out to be. You don't get a lot of options and to be REALLY honest they practically KILLED me while I was having my baby.(that's another story to be told at a later date)! And, unless the wife/husband of the military spouse has a GOOD PAYING job it's no place to raise a family. He was a SSGT and got paid like $20,000 a year. And no,FREE housing is never guaranteed. We had to live off base and they paid $400 for housing the rest was out of our own pockets. There is not enough room for everyone to live on base. Anyway, He was up for reenlistment and with me just having our first child and I had many complications with the birth and on top of all that 9/11 had just happened. "HE" made the decision to get out to be with us. Otherwise he would of gone right in the middle of the STILL ONGOING WAR. And that is something he felt like he didn't want to do. Being with us was more important. it had nothing to do with not wanting to serve his COUNTRY..he is and always will be a proud Veteran of this great nation. He just choose to serve us in a greater way. Now, yes, our struggles were not easy when we got out. The military doesn't do anything for you when you get out. You are on your own. So, we did the best we could. We NEVER applied for government assistance. We did the best we could. And we still do. It's not as easy at it may seem on the outside looking in. Just because it's the military life doesn't mean the grass is greener it had it's struggles and downfalls as many things do.!!!

September 28, 2009 at 8:09 p.m.

• victorianbybirth - ABSOLUTELY, you have a very VALID point. That is also something I am very passionate about. The Homeless population in America is very Saddening to me. I don't want to get too personal with it, but I will say this. There are MANY other things as I have stated in regards to the medical aspect of where money is being spent in America that's NOT necessary. That would be a BIG start...as well as all of us coming together with this homeless situation. American's have really lost sight of what is most important in this world. LIFE AND LIVING LIFE WELL AND HAPPY. Being an honest, caring, compassionate SOUL....not being so quick to pass judgment"(help others as much as you can rather than kick them to the curb w/o any reason other than you just don't CARE)....help each other come to a solution together. That is where it all begins. Am I wrong?!

September 28, 2009 at 7:52 p.m.

• I have another question for you. Why did your husband get out of the military? Seems like choices were made without thought of the consequences. You had insurance when he was active military, you both could have gone to school with tuition assistance fronm the military, guaranteed employment, housing, insurance is a good thing. Unles he was discharged against his will it does seems like this was y'alls choice. My friends hubby is fixing to have his 20 in & able to retire with benefits. He started out as a PVT and is now a Master Seargant. Benefits outweighing risks, something one must always take into consideration when making a major life decision.

I'm sure the homeless population think that those with a roof over their heads, gainful employment & food in their bellys should be grateful for what they have as well. It's all about perspective.

September 28, 2009 at 7:37 p.m.

• I see this is a very personal subject for you, but I pose this question....What good is health insurance to someone who has no home? What is most important, having a roof over your head or affordable insurance?

September 28, 2009 at 7:30 p.m.

• speechfree - that was very well put. Thank you for that. There are just SOME things we should do as a whole in this society we live in and not complain about it. After all it would be to benefit another human life. What better thing on God's green Earth could you do to match that. I don't know how just yet to battle this fight for the right for ALL of us to have just as an equal opportunity as others to have decent health care and to not be labeled anything just because one person may be sicker than the other(WE ARE ALL EQUAL,WE ALL BLEED THE SAME COLOR) ... I do know this fight will involve ALL OF US that's for sure...and I'm ready to do what it takes. How about YOU...and YOU..and YOU....ALL OF YOU............ Good evening to all!!!

September 28, 2009 at 7:17 p.m.

• I have harped on this point but I will again-we depend on one another for a great many things and if any one really believes they are self made such ignorance is pathetic. Why should I be forced to pay for the school your kids use, or the ball parks they use? Why do I have to pay for a military to keep you safe? There are things that we need but could save a life time and not afford like a transplant. Stop blaming the victim for being sick and poor. God does not like ugly. Karma is a heck of a way to learn humility and generosity and I pray God grant you a reprieve long enough to come to this yourself before it has to happen to someone you love to unhardened your hearts.

September 28, 2009 at 6:59 p.m.

• There are STILL income guidelines for the TV commercials that you are speaking of. And, disability is NOT easy to come by. Plain and simple. I can't even begin to explain the in depth struggle it takes to become qualified. Some, get LUCKY, but most do not. To get medicaid and medicare there still are guidelines that MANY do not qualify for. It just seems that most think it is soooo easy to get this program or that program or why not just get disability. It's just not that easy. And even if you did have disability or a medicare program, there still are many things that are just IMPOSSIBLE for some to afford. It's not the answer. Plain and simple. I don't know for sure what is...but they way it's going now surly isn't.

Another personal example I can give you.

One of my closest friend's Uncle died 3 years ago. He WAS LITERALLY as disabled as one can get! He fought for disability for over 5 years after getting in a bad car accident. Well, in the spring of '06 he died due to complications from his past car accident. He was never able to get the PROPER medical care!!!!!! A MONTH later he got a letter in the mail saying he was approved along with $2,000 in back pay...YOU TELL ME!!! WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THAT. 5 YEARS he waited.

September 28, 2009 at 1:41 p.m.

• Drug companies have commercials all over TV - if you can't afford your medication, contact us we will try to help, Medicaid, Medicare all help, then there is county hospitals. Actually people with little or no income have far better avenues for help. Those of us paying thorugh the nose for insurance get to go pick up prescriptions to be told that they are "nonpreferred" by our insurance so therefore it is a fourtune to get. That just about covers anyting doctors prescribe for sinus, flu, etc. So tell me, who do we whine to? If this person is in such bad shape, why doesn't her doctor get the process going for her to be on disability?

September 28, 2009 at 1:17 p.m.

• exresident- please tell me then where could my sister have gone?!?!?!?!? where(what other option did we miss out on and just let her die)...be a begger....beg hospital's to take her(done that)-marry some rich guy.....hummmm...lie and try and live off the government as many do (SAD)....GO TO THE ER EVERY FREAKIN' TIME (DONE THAT TILL THEY LITERALLY SAY NO MORE) let's see....use every bit of money her husband made,not feed there kids, and live on the streets....OR...OR....go to some foreign country( God knows with what money to get there on)

You talk as if people just give up...IT'S NOT GIVING IT UP..IT'S THE TRUTH...THE REALITY....SOME LITERALLY HAVE NO OTHER OPTIONS. WHY CAN'T YOU GET THAT.

September 28, 2009 at 12:25 p.m.

• Yes, I see your point, You have a wonderful soul about you to do such a thing. I myself have done many things as well. I don't want you to feel forced by me or anyone else to do something you choose not to. It should all be done together as a whole society to make the end result more than what it has been for a long time now.

I was being very blunt and honest. You don't owe me anything at all. But, with soooo much of this health care problem running as ramped as it is. We ALL need to stop and think about what is REALLY going on here. And if you don't want to then, more power to ya. But I want to live as long as I can just as Joe Smow would be able to regardless of how much money I have vs him! And I am done seeing others suffer as well as myself. Something has to change.

September 28, 2009 at 12:15 p.m.

• What I mean by (NO ONE) will be left behind is...to those who have the opportunity and take it. They use the gift of fair & equal health ins. as an advantage to better there way of life . The opportunity to walk into a clinic...not an ER and get a mammogram or a routine checkup without QUALIFYING for one. Being a living,breathing,person should qualify you! Plain and simple. And if someone has a medical condition if it is new or PRE existing should have it taken care of. Because no one should decide if you live or die in that regard except you and you alone.

And No, at this time I don't have a sure fire way of solving it all. I never said I was a/the solver for this particular problem. But, too me, it SHOULD all start with understanding and compassion and some guts to stand up and say NO MORE. And I HONESTLY don't get any of that from you other than TECHNICALLY RIGHT ways of saying it to make it sound right to YOU.

These are human lives we are talking about. Not, some story out of a book. It's all real and happening everyday to people. Why be so judgmental and only worried about what's happening to (YOU) like MOST ARE these day. Yes, you are important to yourself and others around you. But, so are other people and there families that have to live with this horrible reality of nowhere else to turn. Why not rather help be a fix to the problem as a whole. Most likely it will take a little out of everyone's pocket to fix the problem. But, if that means one more life saved. Then, to me it's all worth it. Yes, taxation is out of control. But, there are so many things we could be trying to stand up to and say NO MORE TO. And then maybe focus that prior attention to more important things. Like treating EVERYONE as the human beings we deserve to be and receiveing just as much quality care as anyone else would. We all want to live and breath just as much as the other person does. Just as much as YOU do!

September 28, 2009 at 12:06 p.m.

• exresident - Actually you did miss A LOT...cause I never said YOU have to pay for anything. I have paid for anything and everything that has to do with me health wise from the beginning to now. So ya, you missed that one. As for the other's I NEVER said YOU have to pay for them either. No, I don't not agree with the whole heath care plan Obama has offered and NO I don't think anyone should be forced to pay what they choose not to. But, that right there is the problem in this country. It's all about ME ME ME..what I WANT...and not what everyone deserves as a whole socity. NO, You should have to lose one ounce of anything at the cost of others(THAT IS YOUR RIGHT). BUT, would it hurt you that much to try and work together as American Citizens of this great NATION and see that NO one is left behind. Even if that costs you a few extra bucks out of your pocket each month. Just asking. You obviously think not. But, I myself don't like to see anyone have to suffer as I have on several occasion due to this SICK, TWISTED health care industry that our GREAT NATION has!!!

Let me ask you this. You may have already experienced something as this but from your comment I take it you haven't. So, I ask you this.

Let's just play What If for a sec, OK! What if, someone really close to you in your family unit has decent health ins. And lets say they have been really sick lately and they go to the doc and sadly they find out they have a very serious medical issue. Well ,unbeknown to them they proceed to get the help they need without even thinking for a sec that there insurance company would drop them because THEY feel it's not medically necessary. So, they denie them and there is nowhere else for them to turn. They can't get private insurance because private ins. doesn't cover PRE existing conditions. And they make just above the guideline to not qualify for government or state assistance. So, what do they do? How would that make you feel? to know you can do NOTHING. You have to live with your condition and afford what you can just to barley make it by. THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY. NO ONE SHOULD HAVEN'T O LIVE LIKE THAT. AND THAT'S WHY I DON'T HAVE A SISTER ANYMORE. SHE DIED FROM BREAST CANCER 2 YEARS AGO. BECAUSE THE INSURANCE COMPANY AS WELL AS MANY OTHER AVENUES FIGURED SHE WASN'T ""WORTHY"" ENOUGH FOR IT. AND THAT'S WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO..BEING WORHTY ENOUGH FOR IT.( KNOWING THE RIGHT PEOPLE, BEING OF A CERTAIN STATURE,BEING WEALTHY ENOUGH, ETC). IT'S SAD AND IT NEEDS TO STOP!

You don't owe me S**T but, would it kill you to have a little heart and try and understand that for SOME there is nowhere else to go other than to look for others as a means of help!!!!!!

September 28, 2009 at 11:12 a.m.

• Thank you SUZY!!!!!

September 28, 2009 at 9:20 a.m.

• RUKIDDINGME - Thank you..thank you very much. People are sooo quick to pass judgment from a picture or a few words that have been written rather than LOOKING at the BIG PICTURE of it all. Medical issues are everywhere. And the uninsured are EVERYWHERE. From young people such as myself to the elderly. There is or most likely will be something wrong with all of us at one point in our lives. I can't believe the heartless disregard that some have for others. WE ARE ALL HUMAN. AND MOST ARE JUST TRYING TO GET BY IN LIFE. SOME NOT SO FORTUNATE OTHERS. BUT, WERE ALL STILL HUMAN'S AND WE SHOULD BE TREATED WITH THE RESPECT WE DESERVE. Staying alive in this world today (due to the cost of staying alive) is the biggest battle that I feel people fight this day in age. That is sad! We should be fighting for other things, not stuff like this. We are ALL equal no matter what you do(YOUR TITLE) OR WHO YOU ARE. SOME JUST DON'T SEE IT THAT WAY. Again, SAD!

September 28, 2009 at 9:19 a.m.

• you go, girl. People cannot fathom that there are medical problems unfamiliar to them.

September 28, 2009 at 9:18 a.m.