Comments

• Redbull,

Ssssshhhh!

June 16, 2012 at 12:12 p.m.

• Another nail in the coffin.
    good luck.
    woof

June 16, 2012 at 12:11 p.m.

• oh and btw, since my family knows my Facebook name, I will not use it here. There are just some things that I "think" that I do not want known in my "extended" family, so I won't be posting here anymore, unless I create a new FB account "incognito"

June 16, 2012 at 11:49 a.m.

• I have a Facebook account, but do not use my real information and I would never post anything on the net using my real name and information. I'm not stupid.
    Data mining is a real threat.

June 16, 2012 at 11:31 a.m.

• Just make a fake Facebook profile geeeee ....

June 16, 2012 at 11:13 a.m.

• I've never been on Facebook and don't see it happening in the future. However, I am uncomfortable regarding the Advocate's (lack of) privacy issues. For the most part, I agree that if it's worth posting, it's worth signing. BUT! This is a small town and being anonymous has its advantages. For example, I'm not particularly anxious for certain other posters to KNOW my name. I have been told to SHUT UP and told I HATE YOU and THIS IS WHY I HATE YOU; I've been called a bigot and racist because of opinions I've posted. The Advocate has shown no willingness to put a stop to such and I don't particularly want people like that to be able to look in the phone book and get my phone number AND address. When people show the kind of anger and rage I've seen in posts on this forum, I don't know what they might be willing to do if they know where to throw an egg or worse. Phone calls in the wee hours are never welcome. This is one of the times when the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems to apply. My wife has seen some of the rants directed at me and has been concerned about them. I've always told her to not worry because the Advocate only prints the user names and won't publish real names unless the poster him/herself used it. Guess I was wrong. I don't worry about anyone entering the house because of certain appliances I own that go "bang" when the situation arises, but I am concerned about the exterior of my home and my car. My wife also insists that I not allow my name printed and, while the forum is fun and educational, I have to live with her and even though it's been almost 40 years, I still like her. I can probably expect a certain amount of derision from some people about this decision, but that's the way it is.

June 16, 2012 at 8:55 a.m.

• For whatever reason, I did not receive the email. Regardless, as Victoria Advocate already knows who I am-- I don't need to do anything?
    I do not and will not use Facebook.

I am pleased to see VA addressing this issue. I seldom blog here much, largely due to inaccurate and unwarranted character assassination with in comments sections.

Keep up the good work- and thanks for your contribution to community.

June 16, 2012 at 5:44 a.m.

• It is about time. I really want to know who is saying what to and and me. But I have a question. What made Victoria Adovcate decided to go this route at this time? I mean is it based on the criticism of what certain local leaders are getting, a certain local off site blog getting more important stories than this paper, or it is a legit way to weed out the trash since I asked yall to do this for months?
    Just asking.

Mr. J. Williams

June 15, 2012 at 4:22 p.m.

• Chris - I took a look at the AdvoSports site and I like it. I assumed that would be the overall look of it.

I've read other online newspapers and some of them have implemented this as well. I love the feature, but it isn't a surprise as I have always been a proponent of this kind of commenting. If you can't say it with your real name on it, it probably shouldn't be said!

PatB - I only infect the Democrats that haven't paid their dues! You slipped through my grips once again! :)

June 15, 2012 at 12:42 p.m.

• Maybe exposure will be a beneficial aspect to this feature of the Victoria Advocate. There have been a few occasions where exchanges went from rude to uncivil to over the top cyber bullying. I am on Facebook at the demand of my kids but not a huge fan. It has some commercial aspects that I find uncomfortable regarding privacy so I would counsel its use with caution.

June 15, 2012 at 10:54 a.m.

• Good move VicAd. In my opinion. I believe anyone who post blogs should have to use their real name, as well as those who choose to make comments.

June 15, 2012 at 10:11 a.m.

• I don't think that the VA Blogasphere will survive if peopel have to "expose" themselves!LOL
    Patrick Barnes
    P.S.
    Toni,
    I think that since I've paid up my dues with the Victoria Democrats Club I have some immunity against your infectious opinions!LOL

June 15, 2012 at 10:10 a.m.

• If this is in fact going to take place, I would appreciate an example or two of what these changes would be. Thanks in advance.

June 14, 2012 at 9:59 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

June 14, 2012 at 5:04 p.m.