Comments

• Seriously people? Why was it killed? Well my guess would be because it's an 800 pound alligator swimming in a creek where lots of people (including CHILDREN) swim! And it's amazing how ignorant some people can be!

Carpenter, you say "I don't think he filled his belly with humans up to this point so why kill him now?" Well by all means, lets wait until we have a victim count before we do anything about it. Would you liked to have been his first human snack? I highly doubt it!

And Sportsaholic, that's nice that your experience with them has been a good one, and you feel safe swimming 20 feet from them. However, I'm sure the rest of the members of the community were not willing to wager their lives or the lives of their loved ones on your notion of thinking that the alligators are more afraid of you than you are of them. And the alligators you encountered didn't show signs of aggression towards you because you weren't trying to capture and move them. It could not stay in that creek, and I don't believe he could have safely moved it, so he didn't really have any other options. I'm sure if Mr. Janik felt that he could have safely removed & relocated the animal without himself or anyone else being harmed, then he would have chosen that route. I'm all about animal rights, but if sparing an alligator's life puts even ONE person's life at risk, then I believe Mr. Janik made the right decision.

September 22, 2010 at 10:51 p.m.

• Meh, big, but not a monster. Heck, when I lived in Splashus, there was an 11 1/2 footer in the turning basin across the field from my house. Of course, the 5 1/2 footer that lived under the boat dock at the local beach caused a bigger commotion.

July 20, 2009 at 9:59 a.m.

• The reason this gator was killed rather than relocated is because it did not show a fear of humans, which it demonstrated by lurking around the boat ramp/swimming area of Coleto. I don't like the idea of killing an animal either, but I also recognize that in some cases it's the only choice. A difficult one, at that, because of the inevitable public outcry. I agree that Mr. Janik made the right call in this case, as relocation (to another waterbody or to a zoo) was simply not an option.

July 19, 2009 at 6:57 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 19, 2009 at 1:55 p.m.

• I am ALL for keeping everyone safe but, this gator should of been moved to a different location or sent to the zoo.

July 19, 2009 at 10:02 a.m.

• OldRustyBucket1 wrote: "My guess is that he did what he was hired to do."

EXACTLY!

July 18, 2009 at 8:21 p.m.

• With no intention of entering this kidney activating contest, here is something to ponder. However many of you who've tried to work a two year old wild pony up to a snubbin' post probably remember how much power the animal had. Comparing that to the power of an eight foot gator on a rope, for my money I thought they were about equal. Two of us were able to pack that big (8')lizard to the skinnin' table. It took four of us to pack a ten footer. Do YOU think you'd have what it takes to get that Coleto critter, alive, in the back of a pickup?
    BTW,I believe Mr.Janik is the licensed gator trapper used by the LNRA and probably TPWD to either relocate and/or harvest nuisance gators. He should know what's prudent for cases such as this. My guess is that he did what he was hired to do.

July 18, 2009 at 12:37 a.m.

• Couple of thngs.
    Very poor choice of words by the Advocate. Monster? C'mon! Is a prize buck a monster? After all, deer kill more people in this country every year than do alligators.
    Croykies? Give me a break. Steve Irwin would do the death roll in his grave if he saw this disgrace.
    When I was a kid water skiing on Garcitas Creek, I passed withn 10 feet of dozens of bigger "monsters" than this as they lay sunning on the bank. I often swam within 20 yards of these "monsters" and they never showed any aggression. Many times they would swim far away in fear.
    The "Bubba element" of our society will marvel at this while those who have spent much time near these animals and have learned to respect them will shake their heads in shame and wonder who the real "monsters" are.

July 17, 2009 at 9:14 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 17, 2009 at 9:11 p.m.

• Pilot when you hit those alligators where you trying to , must of happen when you where young. I am 45 years old had a flat bottom at the age of 15 and never been with out a boat and i never hit a alligator.Sounds like you are a killer too. Then you talk about staying a night in jail for taking a deer , what spot lighting for deer. Sounds like to me your father should of insteeled in better hunting edicate, that right you dont need that any more you dont hunt . Have you sent a letter to the paper and ask them not to put pictures like this in the paper.I spend about 6 months on the lake , iam glad for my kids it is gone. I bet the TPWD would take your money and pay for a contractor to capture the alligator, put your money where your mouth is . If you need there number i get for you .

July 17, 2009 at 7:08 p.m.

• pilot wrote: "The last time I shot a deer with a gun, it cost me a night in the old Victoria county jail. Are you telling me that teenage boys don't engage is such behavior anymore?"

I can tell you that I did not, and I can tell you that our oldest son (17) does not. And I expect the same from our young twin boys, who will be 6 in November.

They were brought up with guns, taught to respect them, understand what they are for, what they do and the consequences of a gun being fired. They were taught to respect the game they hunt, just as I was.

Also, if the reason you spent a night in the jail was for a game violation, then I must state that you were not a hunter. At that point, you were a poacher. There is a TREMENDOUS difference between the two.

July 17, 2009 at 6:43 p.m.

• i would buy a pair of boots made from that gator

July 17, 2009 at 6:14 p.m.

• MMmmmmmm.....taste like chicken. Someone pass the picante.

July 17, 2009 at 5:37 p.m.

• I am always amazed at the illogical and emotional outcries from those who have scanty knowledge -- at best -- of the subject at hand.

What were they supposed to do, put a leash on 800 pounds of muscle, walk it into a new area and say "OK, you stay here now and don't bother anyone else,"???

And did any of you geniuses volunteer for that duty?

The gator was deemed to pose an imminent threat to park visitors, and THAT is why it was removed. Period.

As to pilot writing: "You are probably in a lot more danger from the multitude of young and old wannabe crocodile hunters that will be packing everything from shotguns to street gang Saturday night specials and a twelve pack, that will be out there day and night the rest of the summer."

Here we go again. Did you realize that there is a season for alligator hunting? And NO, it does not run all summer long. And NO, they are not pursued by folks with rifles, shotguns or whatever else in hand but instead generally trapped and then humanely dispatched. And go ahead, pilot, and take a firearm to Coleto and see what the legal repercussions for such an activity actually are.

July 17, 2009 at 4:59 p.m.

• for the person that said it should of been captured. do you understand how much time it might taken to capture the alligator, or how much of our tax dollars would have been spent . then call up the texas parks and wildlife and tell them they can drag you behine a boat and when it gets close to the bank they will toss a net and capture it.as for had anyone been attacked , looks like to me the texas parks and wildlife is doing there job . like PaPa Ted says Kill it and grill it . Yes there needs to be no waste of the meat!!.thank you TPWL for all that you do .

July 17, 2009 at 4:58 p.m.

• Remember folks, this "Man-Eater" was 11.5 ft long and 800 lbs and as far as I know there has been NO reported missing persons from the Lake.
    I don't think he filled his belly with humans up to this point so why kill him now? Kill what you fear I guess. And by the way, I am a hunter, but eat all of what I Kill/Harvest.

July 17, 2009 at 4:29 p.m.

• I saw a gator like that at Lake Texana years ago it was upriver from the boatramp! I wonder if those guys from Okla. that catch fish with their hands would be scared if they saw this gator?

July 17, 2009 at 4:24 p.m.

• GABE: You might be interested in my VicAd AMBLIN' ABE column about the night the EPA could've charged me with an unauthorized discharge in the swamp. It should've been in a Saturday or Sunday sports section in 2005 or '06. You're welcome to use the story. They'd taken a 13'8" bull gator near my cypress knee harvest area.

July 17, 2009 at 4:17 p.m.

• I wonder how old the gator was? it's a shame that it was killed!

July 17, 2009 at 4:12 p.m.

• I like alligator boots as much as the next Texan. I hate the killing of innocent children as much as the next father. That said, unless this animal simply could not be trapped without risk of the trapper's lives it should have been live trapped and relocated. Hell, Brazos Bend State Park could have been a nice home for this brute.

We don't have to kill everything just because we can.

I have to go. I have Tbones on the grill.

July 17, 2009 at 4 p.m.

• Hmmm,

And I always thought coleto reservoir was man made, and had not always been there. I guess at one time I walked on water or underwater.

July 17, 2009 at 3:48 p.m.

• to everyone who is ignorant enough to believe that this animal shouldve been killed should realize that alligators live in lakes.. and everyone who swims there knows this and takes a chance everytime they get in the water. i do believe that it shouldve been captured and set free somewhere else because i swim there as well but if no one was attacked before the killing there was no reason for it. and no im not a vegetarian i just believe that this animal has a right to live in its natural habitat and we were the ones that took over it.. you dont have to be a vegetarian to know that.

July 17, 2009 at 2:14 p.m.

• Why couldn't it have been relocated? Do we have to kill everything?

July 17, 2009 at 1:11 p.m.

• THE ALLIGATOR COULD HAVE BEEN TRAPPED AND RELEASED AT ANOTHER LOCATION OR A ZOO.

July 17, 2009 at 12:40 p.m.

• When they measured the gator on the beach it measured 11.5 ft
    It was located between the boat dock and the swimming area.

July 17, 2009 at 12:39 p.m.

• Momof2,
    Compare the mouth to some of the children. I was just there on Sunday and saw little kids and adults swimming. Had thought about it myself. Whew!

My parents had a home on the Guadalupe, let me tell you those creatures can pop up out of the water and move quickly and grab a duck, chicken, dog, or child that is near the water. Our neighbor lost all his ducks one by one. Dad finally shot the creature. We had about 6 little ones that would run around on the weekends. Need I say more.

Reptiles are not pets. They DO NOT have any sort of reasoning despite what a reptile owner may try to say. They see us as breakfast, lunch, or dinner --depending when they ate last. That is why boas are not a pet to keep either. Never around a child. If it gets you the adult--well you deserve it for being so dumb. You should no better. But if your child is killed, you should be charged with first degree murder -- the snake came over the welfare of the child and it was premeditated.

Thank you to Janik Alligators for saving the community for any horror story this summer from this creature.

July 17, 2009 at 12:03 p.m.

• I'm glad they killed it. We were just there swimming and kayaking on the 4th, very SCARY!! I would like more info...what was it's length and where exactly did they find it? Coleto is a big lake?

July 17, 2009 at 11:52 a.m.

• Why was it killed? Endangering people's lives is one BIG reason.

July 17, 2009 at 11:41 a.m.

• Why was it killed?????

July 17, 2009 at 11:20 a.m.