Comments

• I win, I think I had the first gizmo-Pong-anybody out there know what I am talking about? What game was played on this gizmo??

January 16, 2009 at 10:47 p.m.

• BeaAmaya - Awesome. I admire people who go out and write their own code. I wish I could be better at it.

December 12, 2008 at 1:22 p.m.

• BeaAmaya - The TRS-80 Color Computer 2 (with Extended Basic) was my first PC.  I remember the days of fast-forwarding and rewinding cassettes to get to my programs.  Like you I wound up writing a lot of my own programs, too.  Ah, the good old days...

December 12, 2008 at 7:50 a.m.

• TRS-80 was the first gadget I bought for myself. I could not afford a disk drive with it though; I used a standard CASSETTE recorder to store my programs on! Also, I couldn't afford software (there weren't a lot of choices anyway), so I bought a good GW-BASIC book and learned to write my own. Now that I'm a geeky grandmother, I still make my living writing code. My first "gadget" was definitely a LIFE CHANGER!

December 12, 2008 at 6:44 a.m.

• The Acer netbook suits it's purpose and surprisingly the keyboard works fine but I make use of all three USB ports for a mouse,printer,and scanner for now.....A normal keyboard & monitor can be hooked up ,but that would defeat it's purpose....No DVD/CD so applications would have to be downloaded on line or buy an external burner.....I read an article that the netbooks caught the laptop makers by surprise, because more people are buying the netbooks than their sister notebooks.

December 11, 2008 at 12:06 p.m.

• Mike, how do you like that Acer? We have an Asus EEE, and I still can't get used to typing on the little keyboard, hehe. But it sure is nice and lightweight.

I found this pic of a Tandy 2000, that guy look familiar?  Tandy 2000 pic

Here are some more old computer ads:

Tandy 1000

Portable computer

December 11, 2008 at 10:42 a.m.

• It seems like I made the full circle from the Tandy TRS- 80, which was basically a word processor with a coupler for modem use….. Bulletin boards were the websites of the 1980s.
    Then it was RadioShack's version of the IBM; Tandy 1000 that used two 5.25 floppy drives.
    A month ago I purchased a $349 Acer net book which weighs 2 pounds and has an 8.9 in. screen, and a 120 GB hard drive with Wi-Fi…. I used to lug my heavy laptop on out-of-town trips; no more.

December 11, 2008 at 9:25 a.m.

• dohbahma, legion357 - I liked watching episodes of the Jetsons as well. I thought those food pills were cool. Oh, and thanks for the Ascii art link!

victorianbybirth - We had an electric typewriter at home, I would type up my homework with it. I hated having to use that carbon copy paper and then correcting my mistakes with the liquid paper. There was no backspace or delete key back then! Haha.

bighorn - The Vic-20 looks cool! Looked it up here on Wikipedia - Vic-20 entry

Dan - Yes! I remember those. Back in the day I picked one up at a garage sale once, and the baseball one too!

StarDotStar - When I was a kid I wanted all the coolest gadgets. I found a large part of my collection back then at garage sales. I guess kids quickly got tired of their games. How could you get tired of a flashing dot moving around on a screen? Haha. I looked up that video game I mentioned, Zap, on eBay. It costs about $45. I wish I could find one cheaper. I liked it, but not enough to pay that much!

CF - Wow, that must have been cool. I remember trying to spell out words for my Speak & Spell to say, it did NOT speak and spell everything! Oh, and looking at that ad you posted, what's up with the kid with the gray hair and mustache? Is that Rip Taylor's kid or something?

December 11, 2008 at 8:19 a.m.

• Remember the Computron, from Sears?

My brother had one of the talking ones, with the orange and yellow buttons; that thing was the shiz-nit!  We LOVED that thing; it would say any word that you spelled.  And I'm guessing you can imagine what kinds of words an 8-year old and a 6-year old would make it say, hee hee hee hee!

December 11, 2008 at 8:01 a.m.

• I remember the Odyssey and while the C-64 wasn't my first computer, it was very nearly my favorite (just edged out by my Amiga 500).  I love looking at old tech ads and remembering how amazed I was as a kid and how I wished that one day I'd have the money to buy more of it.  Now I'm in my 30's and am still amazed by the tech ads and still wish I had the money to buy more of it ;)

December 11, 2008 at 7:54 a.m.

• A topic near and dear to my heart CJ....
    Remember this?

Does anyone remember the Odyssey?  My friend down the street had one.  I don't remember which one he had, but we used to play some game where you shot flying saucers...  I bet we spent 1000 hours on that thing.
    For those closet geeks of yore, (OK... I guess I'm officially out of the closet), check this out...

December 11, 2008 at 7:07 a.m.

• If you had computer lab in elementary school, you are not old.  I don't think we had a computer lab when I was in highschool.  Typing class, on electric typewriters maybe.

December 10, 2008 at 9:51 p.m.

• Hey! I had a Vic-20!

December 10, 2008 at 8:04 p.m.

• ascii, still a part of some web sites, and still being created.

December 10, 2008 at 8:01 p.m.

• I remember when I thought the Commodore 64 was hot stuff. That was in elementary school, computer lab. All I ever did in that class was create ASCII art. I was horrible at it, pure torture for a dyslexic like me. All my ASCII art ended up looking like a poor man's Picasso. I did like playing Oregon Trail though.

December 10, 2008 at 7:16 p.m.

• Yep we would be all George Jetson and Dick Tracy style.
     lol

December 10, 2008 at 7:15 p.m.

• You are not old. I always thought by year 2000 we would commute to work in our flying cars that folded up into breifcase when we arrived. Influenced by the Jetsons cartoon of course. The first electronic toy I remember was a chicken that laid a plastic egg and clucked if you hit the right spot with a little suction-cup type dart. I wanted a GI Joe. It was the first or second year they came out I think. I was 5-y.o.
    That is old!

December 10, 2008 at 6:43 p.m.