Comments

• BigJ - Thanks for the response. I am working on my next blog post, with some more suggestions and ideas as to how we can clarify these online policies.

November 12, 2008 at 1:29 p.m.

• Cleric - That hurts, it really does. I may have to ban you just to feel better about myself. Kidding!!!  :)

Everyone - I thank you for your comments.

As I've stated before in my post and comments, we are not able to sit in front of the computer and read every comment that comes in. Yes, some comments that should not remain have stayed up for a while, until we receive a notification that it has been flagged due to inappropriate content (content in violation of our online policy). Members of our online community are encouraged to report comments that are in violation of our policies (click on the Report Violation link next to the comment).

November 12, 2008 at 10:55 a.m.

• And now for a personal attack on you CJ:

You are a HORRIBLE AND MEAN person for making me choke on my rootbeer when the pic of the angry kitteh loaded!

HA! Hope that stung and you lose sleep tonight over it.  ;-)

November 12, 2008 at 10:34 a.m.

• Sugar - Haha, no I won't delete it. We can say it's on topic because my cat Mango sometimes likes to go online. And by online, I mean she just likes sitting on my keyboard, while I'm typing!

doBahma - Thanks for your comments, I don't see any typos, and you should see some of my writing before it goes through spell check and various re-reads.

BigJ - Do you think that is always necessary though, to get a point across?

dig - You know many have compared this anger and anonymity on the Internet to road rage. Think of it this way, when we are driving and get cut-off by a driver, how many of us would go as far to chase them down and try to confront them face-to-face? We hear of it happening, but not everyone does it. With that in mind, how many people would say the things they write about someone online (the attacks, name-calling, etc.), to that same person in real life?

November 11, 2008 at 11:07 p.m.

• BTW, cj, love the pic of the "wildcat". It looks like my Sunny on a GOOD day. Hope this post isn't deleted because it's off topic.......

November 11, 2008 at 10:29 p.m.

• Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back, it would be impossible for you to hurt my feelings.  Your apparent lack of comprehension is what I found vaguely annoying, and your pompous approach.  I was making a point, I still believe it was lost on you.
    Tribute?  Whatever, at least my name is original & not politically offensive.

November 11, 2008 at 9:03 p.m.

• Screen name is a tribute. I'll bet you can figure it out. I admit not nearly as classy as victorianbybirth; bwahahaha!
    You seem to be one of the folks CJ wrote of in her blog.  Having some anger issues there partner? Unable to express yourself sans profanity? Maybe a nice quiet drive through beautiful Riverside Park will calm the nerves. Don't take Navarro, it has medians and we all know what a problem Victorians have with medians.
    A nyway I really just clicked over to read CJ's blog and once read I wanted to give her some kudos on a great job about a topic really needed. Then I saw your comments and thought the point was made with "...sometimes we have to say fool or heartless..." but you wanted to stir the pot a little by adding some measure of your IQ.  OK, I bit and hurt your little feelings. Get over it.

November 11, 2008 at 8:53 p.m.

• Did you NOT read my post?  Or did you just not COMPREHEND what I was saying?  Basically, my point was, for the slow ones in the back.....there is a difference between what could be percieved as offensive name calling & what really is offensive name calling.
    BTW...really classy screen name you got yourself there....real couth.  LOL

November 11, 2008 at 8:30 p.m.

• Not over my head, under my feet.  And I only stated that I thought one should be able to make the point without using such gutteral words.  I'm no prude but the rules are plainly presented right in front of you when you post comments.  In an effort to keep it civil we can leave it at that.

November 11, 2008 at 8:23 p.m.

• DOH....bama.....ummmmmmm.....was making a point about words such as heartless & fool not being quite the same as those others.  Sorry it went over your head.

November 11, 2008 at 8:06 p.m.

• Good blog. Well written and on point. Hope everyone does a better job of following the few simple rules than victorianbybirth. I don't understand why anyone would choose to use such guttural language on a public forum. I read the reason the person gives but view that as a cop out. If one would like to relay their emotions via the written word then one should attempt to improve writing skills. The answer is not to reveal ones lack of training, education, or couth by using such foul language. Now I know there are errors in my small post here. Technically fragmented sentences and probably some spelling but chalk it up to typos and style.

November 11, 2008 at 7:01 p.m.

• vbb - Regarding that, we did delete the other comment in question, and as I mentioned, we do our best to keep up with all the comments, but we also appreciate the help we receive from our online community when it comes to flagging comments that go against our online policy.

Also, I am not the only one able to delete comments, and those of us who do delete, usually check with each other to make sure we are not going overboard and just deleting willy nilly (is that how you spell it?). I agree that certain words are better than those alternatives you mentioned, and this is a learning experience for all. You are right, it is tough to know exactly what a person is trying to express since you can't see them and read their facial expressions.

Thanks for your comments.

November 11, 2008 at 6:49 p.m.

• LOL....,it didn't censor all my words!!!  OOps...sorry

November 11, 2008 at 6:37 p.m.

• Ok, CJ,  poor wondering, bless her heart, called the person who was speeding in the wreck heartless & you deleted it.  The very same day, just a few posts away another poster called one person a cracked pot & wm paul tasin all kinds of horrible names, yet her posts stood.  Wondering is not one of the posters who tends to get out of line & I really felt sorry for her & I too didn't understand why.  When I get deleted, mostly I know why, though I think lately you have been a tad sensitive. I have been unsure lately how to express my discontent, differing view, or anger without getting deleted.  This is a computer & we can't show tone, facial expression or body language so how do we respond?  Miss Manners gentle reminding & such gets old & boring, sometimes we have to say fool or heartless, but hey, thats better than c***sucking, motherf*****g, son of a bitch, wouldn't you agree?

November 11, 2008 at 6:36 p.m.