Comments

• Sailor - all good points and things we plan to improve on. The current process we use to inform users is done manually (meaning it takes longer for me to look up e-mails, type them up and send them out), but hopefully in the future it will be automated, and will be a quicker way to send notifications.

Those letters to verify we are human are actually easier to read on this site than on others. Sometimes I have to keep refreshing just to make sense of what I'm looking at. I guess it's the price we pay to keep out the spammers.

November 12, 2008 at 7:56 p.m.

• southtexas - Yeah, that picture was from a few months ago. I just got tired of seeing my face every time I commented and posted a blog. I'm sure others got tired of it as well. I hope the cat is better, unless someone is a dog person.

I agree, there is no way to avoid going off-topic from time to time. But there have been cases when someone will come in and post something totally unrelated to the topic at hand (many times to start an argument) and then the conversation veers off from the main subject (the article being discussed). More than often, that off-topic convo turns into a flame war, where people are just attacking each other left and right.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the "heartless" comment. I still consider that as name-calling, as do others who help moderate this Web site. As I stated before, I'm not the only one responsible for deleting comments, and I do confer with our other online moderators when it comes to deleting comments or blogs.

The examples I used in my blog were way out there, used to try and make a point that even a good argument can be ruined by the inclusion of a personal attack. I don't see too many people calling each other nitwits and saying they smell of elderberries these days. Not unless they are in a Monty Python movie.

November 12, 2008 at 4:53 p.m.

• I think all of the other forum rules listed are more than fair and reasonable.

Maybe I didn't see it, but in none of them is there a rule which states postings will be deleted because they are off topic.....incoherent yes....abusive yes...but  every forum is going to get off topic on occasion and I think it should be allowed within reason, and I would assume that there is no such rule because the judgment of being "off topic" is debatable at best.

Comments deleted questioning why a comment was deleted should not be deleted because it is "off topic."  And deleting a post because someone states a driver driving 100 miles an hour in a 45 mph zone is "heartless"....is in no way "name calling".

I still maintain that many of the deletions in the accident story were unwarranted and were no where close to your own examples.

I realize you have a really crummy job making these decisions, but lighten up a little.  And the picture you had up made you look quite young......oops, off topic! :o)

November 12, 2008 at 4:34 p.m.

• Thanks RedRage, I really do appreciate that. I really am not a harsh person (or so says my therapist) and I want us all to have a good time here and enjoy some conversation. I enjoy a debate as well, and have seen some good examples of that here. I know it can happen.

I'm much rather spend my time blogging about iPhones, gadgets and my cat than talking about banning and deleting.

November 12, 2008 at 4:24 p.m.

• CF - Thanks. Yes, I agree, an update of our policies would serve well.

Vietnam Vet - Haha, that was one of my favorite episodes. I actually went by the real life soup place one time when I was in NYC. No sign of the soup nazi though.

November 12, 2008 at 3:34 p.m.

• No soup for you, CJ!  How about a chicken fried steak instead?

November 12, 2008 at 3:31 p.m.

• Well done, CJ.  After reading the policies of other online forums, the Vic Ad's actually seem kind of...tame.

November 12, 2008 at 3:31 p.m.