Comments

• Bighorn,

Although a couple of the comments were tamer than the others, they were responding to the first off-topic posts. It was clear the conversation was going to be about illegal immigration when the article was not on that subject. Some might contend that any story containing Spanish-speakers is an invitation to debate illegal immigration, but we don't think so.

Again, the discussion about illegal immigration and about moderation is better suited to blogs and articles on that subject. We think we can allow for a free-flowing exchange of ideas without subjecting named individuals to personal attacks.

Your questions are perfectly appropriate here on CJ's blog. Thanks for raising the issue.

November 16, 2008 at 12:53 p.m.

• Thanks for addressing the point, Chris. As i said, I recall only 2 of the posts I read. Neither was of a particular "hot"┬áin my mind, but pointed none the less. Apparently the posts got uglier, or the censors tolerance much lower than mine.
    But ALL of the comments were DELETED!? HOLY COW! Was there no single comment in line with your guidelines? GEEZ!
    I would watch the use of your delete button, though. It could succeed in killing your forums.

November 16, 2008 at 10:58 a.m.

• Please permit me to jump in, Bighorn.

In our opinion, all of the comments were off the topic of the births and contained personal attacks against the subjects of the story. We will aggressively protect those willing to be named, quoted and photographed. Such people are not fair game for criticism by anonymous posters. We responded to a reader who flagged the comments.

If anyone wants to discuss topics such as illegal immigration, they have many opportunities to do so, such as through posting blogs or comments on articles about the subject.

Yes, our panel of editors who review comments has decided to be more aggressive in enforcing our longstanding policies. The policies, though, are the same and all aimed at fostering a constructive community conversation. We appreciate that you and many others routinely follow these policies. We don't consider them particularly onerous.

November 16, 2008 at 10:27 a.m.

• Ms. Castillo: I read three early posts. One questioned the legality of the imigration status of some family members since the interview was in spanish. Another questioned who was paying for the delivery costs of either child. The third doesn't come to mind.
    If you did not delete these comments, who did? The VicAd has taken a much more agressive censorship policy of late. I had one comment deleted regarding where I took issue with a hispanic posters constant "putting down" of the hispanic culture of our area. Are race topics now considered taboo by the VicAd. If so, I'd encourage your own staff to follow the same guidelines and avoid such potential "hot button" topics.
    And render both the paper and these forums irrelevant.

November 16, 2008 at 9:47 a.m.

• bighorn - I was still deep in slumber when that happened - I'm not an early morning person at all, :)... but that thread was locked and comments deleted because of the unsubstantiated facts and personal attacks posted against the subjects of the article. Also, by the time it was locked, it was more than three comments. We have a lot of early risers!

November 16, 2008 at 9:35 a.m.

• CJ: I'd be interested to know why 3 comments on todays lead story "Mother and Daughter......." were both deleted and then the comment board closed. I read the comments early this morning, then noted their absence a couple of hours later. Now the section is closed. An explanation would be appreciated.

November 15, 2008 at 6:38 p.m.

• Oh snap! I got lazy and didn't post a fifth one and forgot to edit my post, haha. I'll be sure to get five next week. Thanks for letting me know!

I really like the idea of that wand. It would go well with my sequined Dollywood jacket.

November 14, 2008 at 8:24 p.m.

• But there's only 4 comments here! You said there would be five! Man, I feel so jipped.
    LOVE the sparkly Rainbow Brite to go with Podunk's post! It fits perfectly. I think you need an honorary mod wand with a sparkly star tip and rainbow streamers now.

November 14, 2008 at 8:03 p.m.