Comments

• Great conversation here, love it. And props to the use of lolcats.

Cleric - As the weeks lead up to the launch of our new site, I will share screen shots of the different sections of the Web site. We have discussed categorizing the blogs by topic, and I know for sure there will be different categories for the reader blogs and staff blogs. As soon as we have the section with the blogs ready, I'll post that for you to see.

During the visual journalism workshop I attended last month at Texas State University we primarily discussed the features of a web site, but did touch on design. For example, how to use Twitter and include that on your site, video, photographs, etc. One of the things I remember from the workshop was what Zach Ryall, Internet managing editor for the Austin-American Statesman said during his presentation. I'll post a tweet sent out by Kym Fox, professor at Texas State, who was also in attendance, and her tweet reflects what Ryall said.

kymfox: Your newspaper Web site is not your newspaper. Think about them differently. Think differently online. #APIvisJ

You can read more about that workshop I attended on this blog post:
    Online newspaper readership on the rise

February 19, 2009 at 4:09 p.m.

• I think I like it....gonna have to take it on a trial run, but it appears functional and pleasing to the eye.

February 19, 2009 at 4:07 p.m.

• Pilot, that is probably the point.  If you want to be; as you say, "old fashioned" and read the paper.... pay for and read the paper.  If you want to read news online, then read it online and have it look like other thriving news blog communities.

If you don't make like REO Speedwagon and 'Roll with the Changes' then you will fail.

February 19, 2009 at 3:18 p.m.

• First off, the SEVERE lack of lolcats is just disturbing.  Newspapers are dying left and right in today's market for this reason alone.  You should get on that STAT!  :-P

The new design is cleaner, easier to see the different areas.  Good stuff.  Did they talk about redesign a lot at that conference?  I ask because recently the Rockport Pilot did just that which had been pretty much the same for as long as I can remember.  Nothing really new to Vicad as far as their additions.

Besides the design, what else is new?  What about the ability to classify blogs to a main topic (sports, family, politics, etc.) with the ability to filter out the stuff you don't want to see?

Until the first point I made is changed, I will just say:

February 19, 2009 at 12:37 p.m.

• Thanks for the comments!

I'd like to thank our web team for their hard work on this design, Terry Owen, digital director, Shawn Willmon, lead web developer and Bob Zavala, web designer.

February 19, 2009 at 11:31 a.m.

• I like it,and kudos for not remaining stagnant.

February 19, 2009 at 11:23 a.m.

• Looks good. Hey, I have never seen that poll before though. ha ha

February 19, 2009 at 8:47 a.m.