Comments

• I was considering options when I travel outside the U.S. I know AT&T; offers an internation data plan you can sign up for then cancel when you return, but I am not sure if I want to pay for that.

I'll probably just take my iPhone and find a wifi spot. I can keep in touch with my family via e-mails and if I need to call will use Skype and Fring to make a phone call, as seen here on this Lifehacker.com post:

Make Skype calls with Fringe on your iPhone

March 2, 2009 at 11:45 a.m.

• Frank-I don't know who your carrier is, but I've not had that problem. Even when south of the border a few miles. I'd suggest having your carrier block those rogue cell systems.
    Years ago, I used one of the old bag phones to call home from the deer lease in Berclair. Somehow my phone jumped (remember those old analog units had about 9 x the power of a handheld) to a tower out of Floresville. When I got the bill a 5 minute call was charged about $75. I called ATT to complain, and they stated they were required to bill whatever charge, from what ever company, at whatever the rate. They agreed the charge was excessive, and gave me the number of the company claiming the charge. Their call center sounded like on of those "prison" work centers, especially when the man on the line told me to "go f--- youself and pay the bill" when I persited. I notified ATT that I did not intend to pay the charge, never did, and they reversed the charge off my bill. About two years later, I got a call trying to collect the fee and offering to put me "up for collection and report" me. I volunteered the same courtesy of their convict, and to my knowledge it never showed on a credit report. Or least it never affected my credit.
    You never are screwed until they have your money. They are only trying to screw you. Keep your check book in your pocket. Another reason I trouble myself in writing checks and not allowing direct billing to credit cards, fyi.

February 28, 2009 at 2:05 p.m.

• Same thing happens in the Rio Grande Valley. You're in the US but the towers in Mexico just miles away are stronger and if you don't switch connections your making an international call. Bada bing, bada boom!

February 28, 2009 at 11:51 a.m.

• They"d play hell collecting even the "reduced" amount of $6000. I'd risk the credit ding before paying ATT or whatever foreign thieves (as opposed to the domestic ones).
    A business friend of mine went to Europe last fall and called ATT to have his phone active during the trip. I understand it cost in the range of $500 for the transaction, and I suppose he feels he is that important as to stay in touch. I'd enjoy the peace and quiet of being away from the damned thing.

February 28, 2009 at 9:56 a.m.

• That was his bad. I've taken cruises before and I remember seeing it clearly stated that there was something like $1.50 per minute charge for internet use on the boat. If he was connected by WiFi, he should be more careful of who's internet he's using.

February 28, 2009 at 7:03 a.m.

• CJ: That sounds like the Victoria guy who got an internet hookup that had only one or two local dialup lines and several alternate numbers from Corpus Christi. His first month's phone bill was over $1,000.

February 27, 2009 at 11:46 p.m.

• Outrageous, glad he got it reduced.

February 27, 2009 at 5:46 p.m.