Comments

• This comment was removed by the user.

March 16, 2010 at 5:20 p.m.

• I'm all for downloads of single songs but as an artist I respect Pink Floyd's position. The only album of theirs I ever owned was "The Wall". The work as a whole, and any of their albums for that matter, are true works of art. They inspire us and take us on mental journeys like few artist can.

The first and only concert I ever had the pleasure of attending was Ozzy Osbournes ultimate sin tour. Metallica opened and at the end of Ozzys' set everybody was screaming for more of the mighty Metallica! Metallica! Metalica!!!

March 16, 2010 at 5:08 p.m.

• U2 is a great band to see . I have seen them 3 times. I saw them on their first tour in Austin at a small club-Club Foot(it's now a parking lot). Boy, have they come a long way. I would like to see them on this tour, the stage is suppose to be incredible!

March 16, 2010 at 12:49 p.m.

• You guys have some cool first concert memories!

Don't laugh at mine. I was four or five-years-old and it was some sort of fiddlers contest/concert at the Yoakum Community Center, think it was during the Tom Tom Festival. I was excited to hear the music, watch the performers. (I was a huge Charlie Daniels Band fan back then! Johnny Cash, too.)

But maybe it was too much excitement because I fell asleep about halfway through the event and my dad had to carry me to the car after it was over. Later on when I grew up the next concert I went to was to see U2. I didn't fall asleep at that one.

March 16, 2010 at 11:45 a.m.

• I would have liked to have seen Hawkwind live. I did get to see Motorhead open for Ozzy in Houston though.

March 16, 2010 at 6:54 a.m.

• Mine was Wishbone Ash playing in Portsmouth (UK) back in godidontremember... I also remember seeing Hawkwind (dunno if anyone over here in the US would know them but Lemmy from Motorhead used to play with them, and then the Moody Blues was a good one too.

March 15, 2010 at 10:53 p.m.

• I remember when the Animals and the Zombies played in the Victoria High Auditorium. I wanted to go but I think I might have been to young. Or at least someone thought I was.

March 15, 2010 at 10:32 p.m.

• And what was your first concert codearchitect?

March 15, 2010 at 3:47 p.m.

• freethinker: That sounds like an awesome line up.

I walk on gilded splinters

March 15, 2010 at 11:42 a.m.

• legion,my first rock concert was in San Antonio too except it was at the Municipal Auditorium. I think it was 1973. Opening band was King Crimson then Dr. John and headliners-Procol Harum.

March 15, 2010 at 10:20 a.m.

• Jethro Tull was the hit of the show for a couple of reasons..

1. In the middle of one song Ian was of course playing the flute on one leg, stopped playing, waved to the rest of the band to stop, scratched his head, and, (acted like or did?), throw what he pulled out of his hair on the stage and stomp on it. He then exclaimed "Bloody bugs they itch like hell." lol

2. Led Zepplin had recently released their second album, LZ II, but they did not play one song from it, that kinda upset everyone.

March 14, 2010 at 3:58 p.m.

• I forget Yes too, especially their album Tale from Topographic Oceans. Also anything by Tangerine Dream, long ass 40 minutes tracks of theirs.

On a slight subject change I wish I could find the 30 minute live version of Nantucket Sleigh-ride by Mountain from the early 70's - an amazing piece of music

March 14, 2010 at 2:57 p.m.

• Yes, sorry, Ian Anderson. That's like me saying I dated Pink Floyd's sister ;-)

James Anderson is his son that I used to hang out with when I lived in London

March 14, 2010 at 2:38 p.m.

• Jehtro Tull, they where the middle band at the first concert I went to. It was in late 69 or early 70, at Hemisphere Arena in San Antonio. Sweet Smoke 1st.,Jehro Tull 2nd., Led Zepplin headliner.

March 14, 2010 at 1:50 p.m.

• I'm late to the party, but this sort of thing is not without precedent. AC/DC also has strict rules in place to keep their music from being sold as single tracks, to the extent that they won't allow their songs to be made as single downloads for video games such as Rock Band. Instead, developers of the game had to create a AC/DC expansion pack that people bought at the store, much like they would a physical CD.

March 14, 2010 at 1:13 p.m.

• I think you probably mean Ian Anderson's son since Jethro Tull is the name of the band not a person in the band. Seen them a few times in concert and they are very good live.

March 13, 2010 at 1:40 a.m.

• Flounder is right on the mark with this one.

BTW I was friends with Jethro Tull's son a few years back, nice family

March 12, 2010 at 11:25 p.m.

• Yeah Sgt. Peppers was not my favorite Beatles album save for a couple of tracks. I think Abbey Road had a little mini-concept stuff going on from Mean Mr. Mustard, Polythene Pam through to She Came in Through the Bathroom Window...

I always preferred George Harrison's contributions to the Beatles anyway - While my guitar gently weeps and Here comes the sun etc

March 12, 2010 at 2:10 p.m.

• Good comments here. Yes, I agree on The Who's Tommy. Was trying to think of any Beatles albums that may have a theme. How about Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? Although after the first two songs, the rest don't really go along with the Sgt. Pepper concept, John didn't want to do that (from what I read). But you have to admit, with the transitions between the songs there is sort of a theme happening. Ok, sorry for geeking out Beatles there. I'm a fan.

March 12, 2010 at 1:38 p.m.

• Well Green Day's American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are both concept albums and modern and they sold very well around the world. So it's not completly a thing of the past.

March 12, 2010 at 10:17 a.m.

• Best themed albums? Hmmm. Well I liked Roger Waters solo albums like Pros & Cons of Hitchhiking, Radio Kaos and Amused to Death. Kate Bush - Hounds of Love album, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, Kraftwerk's Autobahn, The Who's Tommy & Quadrophenia, The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld.

Man I sound like an old fart but it seems like the concept album is a thing of the past!

March 12, 2010 at 10:10 a.m.

• Tommy by the Who

March 12, 2010 at 10:08 a.m.

• I'm a fan of Floyd as well, and I see where they are coming from here. However, would I buy a complete album from another band when all I want is one of their songs? Not sure. I can see both sides of the issue here.

What are some other themed albums you can think of that really are best listened to in their entirety?

March 12, 2010 at 9:39 a.m.

• LOL

March 12, 2010 at 1:32 a.m.

• I am a big Floyd fan since I saw them in concert back in the mid 80's in London, UK. Amazing group but I have to say my gut feeling on this is that while I understand their albums are conceptual in style and weave a narrative from start to finish I think the people who want to buy single tracks already know what the rest of the album sounds like and are just completing collections or dying to hear a snippet of the album.

Move with the times

March 11, 2010 at 9:27 p.m.

• CJ, You are absolutely right. My favorite band..The Cult, has decided not to do anymore full length albums, because of iTunes. This individual track thing will ultimately ruin the industry, because Artists will not want to produce themed albums.

March 11, 2010 at 6:58 p.m.

• Arrgh, I expect a notice of a "pull down" from AMI entertainment now :(

March 11, 2010 at 6:58 p.m.