Comments

• Great comments & great memories of playing records!
    I had a stack of 45's as a kid, including 2 VeeJay 45's of The Beatles, before they were on Capitol Records. Wish I still had 'em!

Years later I couldn't wait to bring home the White Album, and spent hours listening and poring over the included poster and photographs. I can still smell that new vinyl as I plunked it down on my plastic Sears portable.

In those days, listening to music was really an experience with great music and great artwork. I can hardly read a CD cover nowadays!

Thanks for the great memories, CJ!

March 23, 2010 at 12:28 a.m.

• Son had just called and wanted to know if I was interested in investing in some vinyl being sold on ebay. He is always coming up with ideas for spending his parents' money. I explained that he is welcome to a whole box of vinyl in one of the closets along with an antique record player. More power to him. I told my friend this over dinner during our gals getaway, and she reminded me of when we melted the vinyl into bowl shapes for a VBS project 25 years ago. The kids were so proud of their creations, and I know that true music collectors have just about recovered from their cringes after reading this. TEX who, Blue Suede what, parents who were so glad to get rid of the old folks's collections.....my mom still has hers...never would let me get close to them. Smart lady.

March 22, 2010 at 9:07 a.m.

• Just brush my teeth before you leave me....."Angel of the Morning" by Crystal Gayle.

March 20, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.

• Legion...I did the same thing for my sister for her birthday. I bought myself Adam Ants album but "gave" it to her....

March 20, 2010 at 3:48 p.m.

• I remember the neighbor teenager coming over to our house all excited telling my oldest brother "I got it!!!, I got it!!!"

It was the Meet the Beatles album, all of us listened to for what seemed the rest of the day on the big old console phonograph/radio we had at the time.

Later on after my brother had bought their own Beatles albums, I use to get in trouble for playing them when they weren't home. My friends and I use to act like we were the Beatles and air guitar/drum/sing along.lol

A few years later, my next to oldest brother gave me a album for Christmas, I forget exactly which title it was, but it was by the Animals. One of the conditions of me receiving it, was that I could only listen to it when my brother played it. He didn't buy it for me, he got the $$$ from my parents, bought it for himself, and gave it to me to cover his butt. lol

The good old days

March 20, 2010 at 2:22 p.m.

• "there's a bathroom on the right" The Original CCR.

March 20, 2010 at 2:07 p.m.

• You guys want to visit a 70s time capsule? There is a house that is decorated exactly like it was 30 years ago currently for sale. I almost cried when I walked in it. Not because it needed so much updating but because it brought back so many memories: the tile, the stove, the sink, the fixtures, the window, the floors, the ceiling... amazing! I want to go see it again.

March 20, 2010 at 2 p.m.

• We were riding to the boat ramp in his gold El Camino when I was listening to the song. Remember those pick-up truck cars? I was probably wearing something orange or bell-bottoms. =P

March 20, 2010 at 1:57 p.m.

• Sorry Free, my step-dad beat you to the correction over thirty years ago. =P

March 20, 2010 at 1:52 p.m.

• When I first heard Purple Haze by Hendrix I thought he said "excuse me while I kiss this guy"

March 20, 2010 at 12:25 p.m.

• No worries, Rebecca, when I was little I thought the line in "Lucille" said "four hundred children" too. I couldn't figure out why the guy had 400 kids when most families I knew had 2 or 3.

I also thought Johnny Paycheck's wife 'done left and took all the raisins he'd been working for.

March 20, 2010 at 12:12 p.m.

• It's "with four hungry children and a crop in the field" you picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.

March 20, 2010 at 12:01 p.m.

• I loved Kenny Rogers and especially the "...four hundred children and a crop in the field..." song. Poor guy!

March 20, 2010 at 10:28 a.m.

• When you talk records old memories flood back. I remember those little plastic portable record players with the handle. I had a bright red one and I would take it into my closet and play my mom's Beatles albums. My step-dad had a "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" album and I remember thinking the title odd. I also had a "show and tell" and I still have one of the photo strips - it's sitting right here on my night stand. I was thinking of using it as a book mark. Oh! I also have a "weeble woble" from when I was a kid but I seemed to have misplaced the little man in the brown polyester suit. D=

March 20, 2010 at 10:23 a.m.

• I remember watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan with my two older sisters at their friends house. I was hooked. My one sister had every pop 45 I think. She literally had a couple of drawers full. I listened to all of them probably more than her. She also had a few albums. My parents always had country records but I was more into pop and rock. I use to have quit a record collection including a couple of autographed albums, but not anymore.

March 20, 2010 at 7:09 a.m.

• Ah yes album covers and the notes. Always a good read. Sitting around listening to records was cool, yet for some reason sitting around listening to cassettes wasn't as much fun. Now making a mixtape, that was awesome.

Love your experiences. Keep them coming!

March 19, 2010 at 3:02 p.m.

• The fisrt vinyl I ever heard was "The Little Engine That Could". That iconinc piece of my childhood has long since dissappeared but the lesson it taught lives on.

I listened to the early Jackson 5, Nat King Cole, B.B. King, Louis Armstrong, and a whole host of hits from the 40s thru the 60s.

These days there is a small modest stack in a back room here at home. It includes the scores for "Star Wars" and "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind". There are several Heavy Metal albums (Yes! The Ozz is in there!), and even an elvis record or two. LPs and 45s gave me the escape into music in a free way that radio could only hope to achieve. I spun what I wanted to hear and wore out many needles and broke in many high powered speakers with the likes of Rush, Pink Floyd, and Judas Priest.

Thanks for pulling up some great memories from the depths of my mind C.J. !!!

March 19, 2010 at 7:57 a.m.

• Sadly I left my vinyl collection in the UK when I moved here many years ago. My father had an enormous collections of records and I guess what I miss the most is not the vinyl itself rather the album covers and the sleeve notes. Some of those album covers where beautiful works of art and the notes inside often gave up wonderful insight into the particular artists music.

In those days you would sit down around the record player and while you listened to the record of choice you would read the notes or look at the art work. Listening to music was a pastime in itself rather than an accompaniment as it seems to be today.

My dad had a copy of The Small Faces' Ogden's Nut Gone Flake album which was sold in a large metal tobacco flake tin: Here's a pic I found online http://www.ussmullinnix.org/SmallFace...

Good times

March 18, 2010 at 11:39 p.m.