Comments

• Big J, sorry but you have not answed how it gay marriage is wrong if you don't get it from religion. And where are the racial sensitive remark?. Perhaps you mean racial -insensitive. And calling gay marriage a sin, oh no that's not anything to do with religion. And anyone with a knowledge of history knows that the bible was used to justify slavery in the past! And that's a fact!

December 13, 2008 at 5:19 a.m.

• It seems as though some folks were missing the point of the blog.
    I'll spell it out one more time.
    Marriage is not a legal matter! It is a religious matter. The federal or state government has no business in a marriage. Thank you to RedRage and Maryann for proving my point.
    Now what do we do about it? We make it leagal to give all your personal stuff to the person you deam worthy without a court of law. Seems pretty simple doesn't it? We equalize benefits across the board so that the federal government takes its cold, wet nose out of your business. We let, what ever God you pray to, worry about the marriage aspect.
    Where would that get us in the end? Since marriage is also biological and used for procreation in the grand scheme of things, maybe the population of the planet would decrease. Probably not though.
    Think about this though. Once this all takes place what does it say about our culture? We don't marry, we just procreate? Where is the loyalty within the culture? There is no formal family because we have done away with it. Where would we fall in realtion to other cultures? Other cultures who stick to their values are procreating and passing on their values and oddly enough those cultures are enduring or growing.
    Just food for thought.
    Bottom line though...find something more important to argue about...seriously.

December 12, 2008 at 2:56 p.m.

• So what about the polygamists who love each other?  Shouldn't they be allowed to legally marry so they're happy?
    There's a German couple, brother and sister, who love one another. They have four kids and want to make themselves ultimately happy by legally marrying. Their case was before the German high court in the last several months.  Their case is based in part that homosexuals can marry, why not brother and sister.
    If two men can legally marry, then these other cases, and other configurations should be allowed also. Anything goes, RR? (rhetorical question)
    Anyway, I'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, RR, and it was nice talking to you. Gotta go take care of the kiddies.

December 12, 2008 at 2:29 p.m.

• RR- homosexual couples are already getting divorced in Massachussets.  Some of them could go the Elizabeth Taylor route as well if they want to keep getting remarried and divorced.  Seems like heterosexuals won't corner the market on die-vorces.
    According to this article, some homosexuals are having a difficult time trying to find a place that will accept their divorces now.  But they are persisting to find a court to end their marriage.  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24132681/
    They're not immune to human frailty or picking the wrong person either.

December 12, 2008 at 12:39 p.m.

• We can do a lot of unnatural things in society and the world's not going to end- that doesn't mean we need to promote it.

December 12, 2008 at 11:47 a.m.

• Marriage has always been discriminatory- two siblings cannot marry, two minors cannot marry, and so far, three or more people cannot marry legally in the U.S.  For two homosexual men to get married, the boundaries for these other groups could be seriously questioned too. Why not?
    Homosexuals have the same rights as I do- to marry a person of the opposite sex. They want special rights and affirmation from society of something that a large part of society sees as unnatural.

December 12, 2008 at 9:49 a.m.

• BIG J where do you get your principles for deeming gay marriage wrong if not from religion?  Your correct that marriage is not a right but it is a civil liberty! It is unconstitutional to disallow gay couples the right to marry. Some people forget what prejudices of the past have done to the extent they don't even realize their own prejudice.

December 12, 2008 at 6:42 a.m.

• Thanks BigJ for giving a reason why gay and lesbian couples want all the rights that come with a marriage. You stated yourself why there is a need for a marriage license. Thank you! That is what gays and lesbians are fighting for. There is no denying that.

Personally, I would rather call it a "Civil Union" or a "Domestic Union" than a marriage simply because I do not believe in organized religion. Gays would still get the same rights as a hetero "marriage"

Oh, and btw for 50% of married couples in this country this is what marriage equals

MARRIAGE= Man + WOMAN, then DIVORCE

Yeah, so sacred that marriage thing is!

There are already states that are legalizing gay marriage. Get over it, and get used to it. It will happen everywhere eventually. I just hope you are alive to see it.

A black person who discriminates towards another group is just CLASSIC!

December 11, 2008 at 9:28 p.m.

• Although BIGJ is right, I could parade around on the VA forum all day and pick and choose which battles to engage in. I don't have anything negative to say about this...Pythagoras person. I really don't care much. I have to agree with some of the things he's saying anyway, that whole "No Gays For A Day" bullshit got on my nerves. I felt like that was shining a negative light on what the GLBT groups should be standing for. Besides, I need my damn money, I'm not about to call off work just to stand behind an imperfect system that will never be. I have no problem facing the truth about my group I have no say in being in, yes, I'm a gay man and I will always be one. But that doesn't mean I try to force views onto people that they don't want to be exposed to. I don't go around looking for people to argue with about why "gay" should be accepted. I don't play the "Gay Agenda" or "Cause" bufoonery. I have better things to do. I will say one thing about this though, I am glad that you are sharing your opinion so freely, I think if more people like us could speak their mind without hesitation then we would all be getting somewhere, who knows........ perhaps closer to equality. Take Care! =P

December 11, 2008 at 3:18 p.m.

• Most of the protest have been very peaceful by the way and it is not only gay people in these protest there are a lot of straight people in them too. So what angry group of homosexuals attacked a church? I have heard of them protesting at churches but not literally attacking the church! And by the way residents of San Francisco dislike it when people call San Francisco-Frisco.

December 11, 2008 at 9:17 a.m.

• Looks like I touched one of your nerves there, pilot. I do agree that I should clarfiy a few things. Just for you.
    I honestly have no idea about the struggles because it truly does not matter me whether someone is gay or not. I have several gay friends and they are still my friends and I love them dearly.
    My published set of values is publshed by me. I was not refering to the bible, though the bible has alot of good stuff in it I do have issues with it and its publishing process.
     "non-coastal US" is a quote from another publication.
    Unfortunatley this is a diatribe. I personnaly don't like diatribes but when I hear that a group of angry homosexuals attacked a church a diatribe is what you got.
    As for the issue of having homosexual children...that's the toughest one. I don't have children so I really have no way of commenting on it. I would like to think that I would still love my children regardless of the path in life they chose. Would it be hard to accept? I would be lieing if I said no.
    For SW Bones: Unfortunately the state won't get out of the marriage business as it is a source of revenue.
    For Free thinkiner: If it didn't work in Frisco...I would be sadly dissapointed. In fact I am surprised  Frisco is till open! DOH!

December 11, 2008 at 8:06 a.m.

• Then, the State should get out of the business of marriage license.

December 11, 2008 at 6:22 a.m.

• John Stewart really grilled Gov. Mike Huckabee on the Daily Show. It was great. http://thinkprogress.org/2008/12/10/s... And they did mention on the news that many businesses reported being slow today so I guess the Gay without a Day did work at least in San Francisco.

December 11, 2008 at 1:23 a.m.