Blogs » Fox Family Forum » Not a great Spring Break...


Hello Everyone! This is my first attempt at blogging and I wish it was a happier story. I joined Craig, Tanner and Bailey on March 13th at Port Aransas for some Spring Break R&R and wound up getting sick. I had to come home early and get well for our trip to Houston on Friday (March 18) to see the Houston Rockets play the Boston Celtics. We also planned to visit the Kemah Boardwalk on Saturday, but things didn't exactly go as planned.

We left to Houston on Friday afternoon and this time Tanner was under the weather. We went to the game and had a great time. It was a pretty exciting game even though the Rockets whipped the Celtics.

On the drive back to the hotel, Craig began to cough. He's been having a problem with mucus building up in his throat and he has a lot of trouble coughing it up. He couldn't seem to get his throat cleared so I reached over as I was driving and removed his neck brace to try to give him some relief.

Nothing seemed to work. As soon as we got back to our hotel room, I gave him medicine to help break up the mucus and allow him to cough it up easier. Again, nothing was helping. Then he complained that his stomach was upset.

I knew those chili cheese fries would come back to haunt him!!

I gave him some Tums to try and settle his stomach, then Bailey and I got him into bed to try and get him to rest. As soon as he laid down, he became nauseous. There wasn't enough time to get him up out of the bed, so I turned his head to the side so he could cough out or throw up whatever was coming up. It was like a scene from the Exorcist...enough said. This went on for at least 3 hours, so I called his parents at 2am to let them know what was going on and the kids and I drove him to Methodist Hospital emergency room.

This whole scene keeps playing out in my head like a scary movie. We arrived at the hospital and couldn't figure out how to actually get into the ER. It seemed like every door we tried was a dead end!! I finally found an intercom button and the voice at the other end was our savior! A security guard appeared out of nowhere and escorted us through the basement into the ER.

This is where we spent the next 8 hours until they were able to stabilize Craig. He apparently developed aspiration pneumonia from the choking and vomiting episode. He was extremely weak and dehydrated. The ER doctors and nurses were amazing. I sat with him from the time we got to ER until he was admitted to the hospital and his parents arrived (around noon on Saturday). I am in awe of the staff at Methodist. They really take care of everyone in the situation with the patient.

Craig will be in the hospital for a while. He is currently in an ICU unit. They are working on getting his white blood cell count back to normal and clearing his lungs, so there's plenty of antibiotics and breathing treatments going on.

I spoke with him earlier today and he wasn't having a very good day. He's uncomfortable...his back hurts and his chest is sore. I personally think he sounds better than when I left him yesterday afternoon.

Please pray for Craig's recovery. Pray for Tanner and Bailey who had to witness a scary turn of events that has left them separated from their father. Pray for Craig's parents who are in unfamiliar territory caring for their son.

Thanks for reading...I hope it wasn't too long. I'll be keeping everyone updated here on Craig's progress.

Love, Alisa Villarreal