Comments

• I was reading the post by southtexas about things from China.  I have noticed that  so much.  I do not like to buy groceries from WalMart but do buy other things there.   I really have no other place to go in Rockport.  This a whole different subject.  We only have WalMart and HEB.  I have shopped at HEB for over 50 years and I have seen many changes.  The most recent changes I do not like and it worries me.
    Back to the subject of fish.  There is no comparison to a "fresh" salt water fish such a Flounder or Red Fishand others.   When you grow up on that it is hard to make a change.

January 11, 2009 at 7:23 a.m.

• I am not a Tilapia eater, never figured the hype.
    But the more farm raised stuff, the more the natural taste goes, and I have always thought something else leaves too. Heart doctor has always told me to NOT take Omega 6's.
    This on the Tilapia.

January 11, 2009 at 1:30 a.m.

• Fish (especially tilapia) from China just doesn't sound very apealing to me.  Of course when CCA and Parks and Wildlife get through reducing the "good eating" fish (flounder, trout, and reds) bag limits to 1/2 fish per year, we may all be eating tilapia from China.  When CCA gets through "strong arming" Texas Parks and Wildlife into closing the bays to floundering, tilapia may be the only thing we can afford.  Maybe we can import flounder from China.  Or maybe trade them flounder for CCA and Parks and Wildlife management personnel.

January 10, 2009 at 9:15 p.m.

• If you had bothered to check the link you would have found that the study was done by Wake Forrest University School of Medicine. As I said, if you like Tilapia, enjoy.

January 10, 2009 at 6:37 p.m.

• I would tend to believe U.S. iinformation rather than an Indian website's opinion.  Nutritional information for Tilapia can be found at"

This is a great site when you want to know the calories or nutritional information for just about anything.  Also has fast food and chain restaurant information....talk about making you not want to eat out.

January 10, 2009 at 6:03 p.m.

• Watch the film "Wal-Mart The High Cost of Low Price." You will be surprised.

January 10, 2009 at 1:42 p.m.

• Actually, according to the study located at this web site ... http://www.medindia.net/News/Commonly... is not all that healthy and may even be harmful to some consumers. I don't always buy into these studies for the most part and think if you like Tilapia then go for it. I don't care for it because when I eat fish I want it to taste like fish. There is no comparison in my book between Tilapia and good fresh caught Flounder or Spotted Sea Trout. In my book these are the absolute best tasting fish available.
    About 70% of Tilapia consumed in the U.S. is imported from Asia but some does come from Latin America. Again I don't have hard statistics but a couple of web sites I read stated that most of the tilapia consumed in the U.S. is imported and farm raised. Of course wild caught Tilapia is best. The U.S. production is growing of course as the demand goes up. U.S. cinsumption has quadrupled in the past 4 years, up from about .25 lb/pp to about 1.0 lb/pp. BTW, Tilapia is a herbivore and can survive in fresh or salt water.

January 10, 2009 at 12:01 p.m.

• PLEASE PEOPLE....You buy some tilapia from China and assume that all Tilapia comes from China....NOT!!!

Please don't give up eating this wonderful fish because of gross misinformation.

Actually most of the tilapia we eat here in the U.S. is raised in the U.S.  It is the 5th most popular fish in the U.S.  I personally like it because it is not so fishy tasting and reminds me very much of flounder.

Tilapia requires a more tropic climate....it is a Ciclid for those who have aquariums and has been used in the U.S. for years not only to eat but to control certain types of harmful plants and to control mosquitos.  In the Bible Tilapia was called St. Peter's fish and was widely eaten.

The second most common source of this fish is the Phillipines.

Just like you I avoid anything made in China like the plague....if you do that however, you're not going to do much shopping in Wal Mart.  Recently I picked up a baking dish at Wally Mart, had it in my cart before I looked, and it was made in China.  It was a glazed and very lovely dish for casseroles, since I was going to cook in it, I was fearful of what may be contained in the glaze...how carefully it was fired....and on my search down the isle for something to replace it, could find nothing I could use that was not made in China.

When I checked out, I asked for a manager and explained that I would have bought a $30 dish if it had not been made in China.  Then also sent an e-mail to Wal-mart when I got home.  If we are not proactive as shoppers, then we deserve what we get.

January 10, 2009 at 11:01 a.m.

• I only eat fish caught from our beautiful bountiful bay, save the rare times we splurge and go out to a nice resturant for a meal. This blog did remind me that PETA has a new campaign. They want to teach kids to call fish SEA KITTENS hoping that will deter the eating of one of the healthiest meats known to man. What next PETA, gonna rename cows FARM PUPPIES? The sad part is many people will sit back and allow this bastardization by a bunch of whackos! On the other hand it might be funny to drive around during lent and see every eating establishment in town advertising "all you can eat Sea Kitten."

January 10, 2009 at 8:29 a.m.

• I have often wondered why this fish has become so popular.  I knew it was from "over there, somewhere" but not exactly where.  So many places have it on their menu and it baffles me.  I live in Rockport and I can remember when it was always some great fish from our area waters that was served.  Too bad it has become different.  Same with the Shrimp.  I will not eat farm raised Shrimp or Salmon.

January 10, 2009 at 7:24 a.m.