Comments

• But, my taxes will increase, yes?

March 7, 2009 at 6:59 p.m.

• VBB
    No,your payments will be lower because the insurance companies will now have more customers.

March 7, 2009 at 6:54 p.m.

• Thats odd, I've always seen b/c paid for by Medicaid.  Of course, before it was partioned out to private insurance companies, it was.  I am in pharmacy & when I worked in retail I saw lots of b/c dispensed to Medicaid recipients at no cost to them.  I am in long term care now so I don't see much b/c anymore.  I have been out of retail since Medicaid went through the change.  It could be certain carriers don't cover, or it could be they don't cover certain mfg brands.  Family planning does still provide b/c pills free of cost to those that need them.
    Oops, I said family planning too, I'll be damned to hell for sure now!

March 7, 2009 at 6:50 p.m.

• Oops, durn VBB, now Pm Tasin is going to hit this thread, we said a bad word, birth control

lol

March 7, 2009 at 6:11 p.m.

• VBB
     IF they do now that's great, they didn't a couple of years ago.

March 7, 2009 at 6:09 p.m.

• So if I'm currently paying for my health insurance & that of my family, I can keep it, yet I have to pay more to cover those others?  Aren't I already paying for them & now I need to pay more?
    Legion, Medicaid pays for birth control pills, maybe not the newer ones, but I know they pay for the old standards.

March 7, 2009 at 6:06 p.m.

• Its going to be a mandatory that you pay into the system.

enough said.

March 7, 2009 at 5:39 p.m.

• Good blog Alton a positive step for coming to the table.
    This came out the first health care summit..You remember the “Thelma & Louise” ads that killed Hillary’s health care plan, well their major concern was that it was done in secret and too many people were left out…This time around that Ad Company told Chris Matthews that both sides agree we will have a health care reform plan by the end of the year..The company is pushing for a John McCain model but this time with a refundable credits or prepayments’ so it would include the working poor…Both sides agree that we cannot afford the $2. 2 Trillion we spent on health care last year.
    Obama’s plan would let you keep your current plan but by bringing in more people your payments would be lower….It’s going to be a mandatory that you pay into the system..Those healthy 20-35 years old that are undescructable will have to pay something, if it is going to work.
    The administration and the bipartisan committee’s first priority is to rid the non-working programs, be it be red tape, too short of hospital stays, overcharges, or non-competitive drug prices., everything will be on the table.

March 7, 2009 at 5:26 p.m.

• The government is going to make health care "affordable" similar to the way they made housing "affordable."

March 7, 2009 at 4:53 p.m.

• On a side note, why in the world does medicaid refuse to pay for birth control pills but has no problem paying for the birth of the children.

My friend, now that is truly nutz.

March 7, 2009 at 3:55 p.m.

• I agree Alton,

There are lots of things wrong with the current system however.

Take a look at our county hospital in Victoria. Every time a new diagnostic piece of equipment becomes available, they just have to have it, to H3LL with the cost. $750,000 or so , so they can run newspaper and TV ads and brag about how there the first in the region with one.

And the huge healthplex building, geez.

OF course any reform of health care will be met with stiff resistance, can you think of any GP, surgeon, gas passer that will be happy there income will be severly reduced?

The price of healthcare is out of control, way higher than the inflation rate. IMO it is a shame when the cost for even something simple, broken ankle, lets say, cost divided by time spent to fix it equals about $2000 a hour, that is just NUTZ.

March 7, 2009 at 3:53 p.m.