Comments

• Waywardwind,
    I have a truck for pulling my boat. I drive a small car to work. I'm all for personal liberty, but I'm also for personal responsibility. As long as there is a market for horsies in the engine, they will be there. I suspect we will paying a higher price for them though.

May 21, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.

• I think pick-ups might end up being a good choice for LNG. The prototypes for the LNG engines are out there already. DIL's mother is involved in an LNG plant in Lake Charles. The first tanker comes in this summer.
    I used to drive a red Pulsar. I loved that tiny 4 speed. 40mpg and this was 25 years ago. I filled up twice a month and was driving from Rockport to Bloomington to finish a school year.

May 21, 2009 at 9:56 a.m.

• Unruly8i..."What do you think the percentage of trucks in Texas are actually a necessity and/or how many are used for everyday transportation when a 2nd smaller vehicle that gets significantly better mpg would be better."

Better for whom? Better for you or better for the person who made the decision to spend the money to buy the truck? This used to be a market based economy and decisions about what to buy were made by the people spending the money -- NOT by the government.

Can I get to work without using a 3/4 ton pickup truck? Yes, i can (and by the way, I do) but if I decide that's what I want, then it's none of your business OR THE GOVERNMENT'S business what I choose to drive.

BO is going to put an entire industry out of business with his fuel economy requirements. YOU explain to me how a truck that is required to get 30 MPG is going to pull a 34 foot fifth-wheel travel trailor. My wife and I had a motor home built on a Ford E-450 chassis with a V-10 engine that weighed in the neighborhood of 14,000 pounds. It didn't come close to 30 MPG. But WE paid for the gas and didn't ask for help from anyone to do it. We enjoyed using it for as long as we had it and it wasn't the business of anyone else why we wanted it or how much we drove it.

PERSONAL LIBERTY is still important to many of us who remember what it was like to live in an America where freedom for the citizens was respected by the government.

May 21, 2009 at 8:10 a.m.

• It's called more deaths by automobiles.

The main way to get the MPG now demanded is to make things lighter and thus less strong. All agencies, guvmint and independent, state that when vehicles are made lighter, out of less strong material, there has ALWAYS been increased injury and death due to automobile accidents. Thus increasing health care costs, disability injuries meaning more on SS disability and Medicaid, higher insurance cost due to more insurance pay out, etc, etc.

Change you can believe in. And the Polar Bears continue to increase in population as they have for over 20 years.

I told you so.

May 20, 2009 at 5:39 p.m.

• If people want food and meat to eat, there will be an exception allowed for working trucks, much like the farm and ranch tax exemptions in place now. If not, expect much, much higher food prices as equipment won't last and will have to be replaced frequently. More government intervention in an area in which they have no business. I guess this is part of the change so many people wanted. The main change seems to be the promise of thinner wallets.

May 20, 2009 at 9:07 a.m.

• You hit the nail on the head with the word "necessary". What do you think the percentage of trucks in Texas are actually a necessity and/or how many are used for everyday transportation when a 2nd smaller vehicle that gets significantly better mpg would be better.

May 20, 2009 at 1:17 a.m.