Comments

• RUK wrote:
    "...so we learned to share and play with what we had. Imagination took us through our childhood and helped us be entertained."

In contrast to all the complaints here a while back by the "Y" generation about how there is nothing to do here in Victoria!! When I moved here in the late 70s as a young professional I never lacked for anything to do, maybe because being raised in a small town I learned to find my own entertainment as RUK says, not waiting for anyone to lay it on a silver platter for me! Of course I did, and still do, my own thing and didn't follow the "herd" mentality like most do nowadays.

Although I was born in the mid 50s a lot of this I can relate to. We never had a/c (mom and dad had it installed after us kids left, guess they could afford it then) and remember the nights laying in bed with no breeze, no matter how many windows you had open.

October 5, 2009 at 8:07 a.m.

• I really enjoyed this...thanks for sharing...and I enjoyed reading everyone's comment's. I have always been intrigued by this era..even though it brought hard times for many. It seemed to be much more peaceful and happy even though most had to work hard for what they got. It makes me think of how well I really did have it as a kid and now how fortunate my kids are to have all that they do. I am thankful for all of it EVERYDAY!

October 4, 2009 at 12:03 p.m.

• we were always looking for a way to make money! when pecan season was here we would pick everyday after school to make a few dollars, then when dewberry season was here we picked them and sold them door to door! we would recycle scrap metals too but that entailed much searching through the junkyard/landfill! Then one year a black friend taught me how to caddie for a local golf tournament and that opened up another option for me to make a few dollars!

October 4, 2009 at 10:06 a.m.

• the 5o's meant less stress but I used to hate dragging that long cotton sack behind me when I picked cotton every year to make money for school clothes!

October 4, 2009 at 9:56 a.m.

• We need more stories like this! I enjoyed the comments too. It helps me to not feel so sorry for myself when things are tight. There's a "depression cooking" channel on YouTube where a little grandma shares her recipes and stories from the depression.

October 4, 2009 at 7:34 a.m.

• Alton
    good read but like Victore it did not seem like hard times then. Our parents went thru the Great Depression and WWII and the 50's were great compared to that.

October 4, 2009 at 6:49 a.m.

• We could be rich if we weren't too proud to live poor.

October 4, 2009 at 6:26 a.m.

• You said it Alton. I remember the days when hardly anyone was considered "obese". We raised alot of what we had to eat and hunted small (rabbits and squirrels)game to keep something on the table. I wish I had a nickel for every potato and sweet potato I dug from our garden. I think kids could run alot faster back then, too. It kept the sticker burs from sticking in your bare feet. Yeah, I didn't get a new shirt until about the 3rd grade, since I had three brothers ahead of me. We thought we were rich.

October 3, 2009 at 10:38 p.m.

• Alton, you’re so right, the 50’s were hard times. I was raised in north Texas lived on a small farm, we did grow our food raised a few cows, all and all we eat pretty well. The work was hard just to make a few dollars,. I remember setting on the tailgate of my grandfather’s old truck selling watermelons while he was in the sell barn selling or buying a cow or two. But you know life really wasn’t all that bad, actually life was fairly simple. We are truly spoiled today with all the high tech that you used to read about in comic books and popular mechanics. Sometime I do miss it just because of the simplicity of 50’s. Great read.

October 3, 2009 at 10:33 p.m.