Comments

• In the owner's manual of my 2006 Ford F150, "Ford recommends BP products". I wonder if the 2011 owner's manual will say the same thing. This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Where is Superman when you need him?

June 5, 2010 at 8:48 a.m.

• Take over what from BP? A gigantic environmental disaster of unknown proportions? Yes, I for one would love to see the government step up and own a disaster on my behalf.

Hey! There aren't enough assets of BP in the US that would satisfy the costs of cleaning up the disaster. It would need the cooperation of BP to even begin to cope with what is happening and what will happen in the future.

Keep dreaming Alton. It is better than the reality that we face everyday.

June 5, 2010 at 12:36 a.m.

• Alton.

I appreciate that you knowledge me as a supporter of the Democratic Freedom Caucus. Second What do you mean by “government”? I would like to the U.S. Navy to take the reins from B.P. Third, I do not support government take over of the entire energy industry, especially during “peacetime”.

June 4, 2010 at 2:06 p.m.

• Unfortunately many safety measures and procedures are the direct response to an accident. Many times what is thought to be sufficient fails to work. This well was equipped with a blowout preventer, but it didn't work. What caused it to fail? Was it made maybe in China? Hindsight is always 20/20. But at any rate, BP never thought something like this would happen. Look at the loss of the oil alone, much less the money that is being paid out. Why would a corporation deliberately cause this type of accident? Much will be learned and may new procedures and safeguards will be developed due to this accident. With all of the environmental damage, nothing will damage this country as much as an Obama takeover of BP. It that happens, no business is safe in this country and no one is safe from the government. There will be little difference between the United States and Venezuela. That is why Chavez likes Obama.

June 3, 2010 at 11:19 p.m.

• If I might divert the angle of conversation for a minute to take a look at these pictures that came in today from an AP photographer.

June 3, 2010 at 10:51 p.m.

• For the life of me, I don’t understand why so many people commenting on this story have made the assumption that I am a fan of BP and are defending their bad judgment.

This was an accident, could it have been avoided, I don’t know.

I do know that we should find out the cause, determine how to solve this problem if or when it occurs again, learn what worked in protecting the ocean/wild life/ beaches/wetlands, determine what delayed actions caused more damage, and how to prevent them in the future.

I also am aware that China will soon be drilling offshore for Cuba. They will drill in areas we have closed to drilling that are in the international waters. They will also drill very close to our coastal border. With the current technology they can even slant the drilling into our coastal border. If they have a problem, it will affect our coastline. So if we halt drilling in the Gulf, we are going to be still in danger of a well failure and face another environmental crisis.

If we do not find a reliable solution that can be used in the future to halt the massive spillage into the Gulf, we will be faced with this mass environmental destruction once again.

I don’t know anyone that does not believe, BP should not pay for damages, and the individuals that directly caused the destruction should not be prosecuted.

My logic tells me that if BP is damaged beyond repair or the government seizes BP; the taxpayers will be picking up all the cost for the clean up/repopulation of endangered wild life/bail out of coastal businesses.

June 3, 2010 at 10:50 p.m.

• "The first thing I think about when I hear people say they will boycott BP is just how are they going to identify the products that come from BP oil like plastics, fertilizers, medicine, lubricates, chemicals, household cleaners, gasoline, and etc?"

Well Alton there's this thing called the "internet" and it seems to be very popular with the youngsters. It's helpful in locating information and there are large social organizations associated with it. For example, if you will google: How to boycott BP.....my experience is that you will have over a million pages made available in .15 seconds. There is even a site that rates the 5 BP boycott sites on Facebook (the largest at about a quarter of a million "friends"). This helps you find a boycott group most compatible with your sensibilities.

It is going to be very interesting to see the effect the online community has in this event.

June 3, 2010 at 10:21 p.m.

• Democratic Freedom Caucus, sounds like you believe the government has more qualified individuals to operate BP, than those in the public sector that have years of experience in the business. It also sounds like you believe in the absolute power of the federal government over the Constitution.

I wonder, do you support government take over of the entire energy industry?

June 3, 2010 at 10:20 p.m.

• Alton Easton.

During the Civil War, Lincoln took over the railroad, the telegraph, and Sea Ports to help win the war. Harry S Truman should had temportiay taken over the Steel Industry in the middle of the Korean War.

While I am not a fan of Robert Reich, I do endorse the belief that BP's American operatings should be taken over.

June 3, 2010 at 9:03 p.m.

• Zorro, I doubt you will find anyone that will defend the poor judgment of BP leadership that lead to this environmental crisis.

Have you considered the fact that if BP declares bankruptcy or the government takes over the company, the people economically injured in this event will see only limited economical relief if any? And in the mean time they will be suffering.

You may not have a 401(k), retirement plan, mutual fund, or investments in the stock market; but many Americans do. I am not one to cheer when these hard working investors savings are reduced.

If we support a government take over of BP, how can we not support its take over of the entire energy industry?

June 3, 2010 at 8:34 p.m.

Think this will drive BP's stock price down?

June 3, 2010 at 8:25 p.m.

• The first bill from the Fed to BP , $69B.

June 3, 2010 at 5:17 p.m.

• The stock price of British Petroleum is of little consequence compared to the business impairment those on the Gulf will suffer. The stock price is insignificant when compared to the damage to the ecology, the tourist economy, the commercial and sport fishing economy, and a myriad of other damage that is being inflicted on us as a result of the reckless behavior of BP. Who cares that the stock price of BP has suffered? I care only about the victims of this national tragedy that BP has visited on our Gulf of Mexico and well beyond. May BP and Tony Hayward be forever remembered for the villain's they are. Many people are without work because BP decided to take drilling shortcuts. Now thousands of offshore workers will be out of work until a fail safe BOP or procedure can be worked out to insure that this accident never again can happen.

Every time I see pictures of pelicans drenched in oil, the turtles gasping for breath, or the dead fish floating on the surface, I consciously say to myself, BP must pay for this catastrophe and I will never buy anything from BP.

June 3, 2010 at 4:49 p.m.

• Codearchitect, you are showing your young age. Robert Reich is hardly “a little known former government secretary”.

In his position as Secretary of Labor he was instrumental in the formation and passage of the “Family and Medical Leave Act”, “School-to-Work Jobs Act” and increasing mimimum wage.

Reich is an author of a few books, magazine author, political commentator on various media programs, has his own successful political website, was placed among America's Top Ten Business Thinkers by “Wall Street Joural”, was named one of the Ten Most Successful Cabinet Members of the century by “Time Magazine”, and is a professor at the University of California, Berkeley.

Reich testified against John Roberts at his confirmation hearings for Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court.

You stated "BP is not going to go bankrupt and affect the country nationally." Bet a lot of people would like to look into your crystal ball. BP's problems have already affected the stock market, many mutual funds, and retirement plans.

June 3, 2010 at 4:21 p.m.

• I see two news stories here and only pure speculation as to a link:

1. AG Holder announcing criminal and civil investigations - that is a welcome move and should be par for the course.

2. A little known former government secretary airing his opinion and a story about protesters that seem to be the ideological antithesis of the Tea Party - although without any real evidence who can't draw any firm conclusions?

I have not seen anything remotely suggesting a government take over - BP is not going to go bankrupt and affect the country nationally so where's the story here?

June 3, 2010 at 2:28 p.m.

• Isn't BO the 'community organizer in chief?"

June 3, 2010 at 1:43 p.m.

• Geez - that is kind of scarry - if the federal governemnt takes it over, then does that mean Obama wil invite the president of BP for a beer and hash things out and get it all taken care of?

June 3, 2010 at 1:34 p.m.