Comments

• Alton
    Thanks for some good research on this new law. I have been retired for ten plus years and see no benefit for me and my family of three. This was bad legislation at best but your efforts make it a bit more palatable. I have often wondered why medical deductions on healthcare are limited to amounts over 7.5% of AGI. Congress was not thinking of senior citizens when they raised it to 10% in this law. My healthcare expenses have exceeded the old law for many years. I look forward to Nov. 2, 2010. Thanks again for the good work.

March 26, 2010 at 4:54 p.m.

• I think I have finished with this phase of my life. I know I need to blog again, but just hate the silly spelling police and delete button pushers. I hope my journals are read by sons, who will overlook the grammar and spelling errors of their English teacher mom, and they will feel my heart instead of editing for errors. Alton, you are always a great read.

March 26, 2010 at 12:34 p.m.

• One of the major disappointments I see in the bill relates to drug purchases.
    I don't know if you have noticed, but a major chain store that starts with a W, purchases many of their generic meds from India.
    If they have the legal right to do this, just why can they not give the average citizen on the street the same legal right.
    And why did the bill not allow for the exchanges, medicare, medicaid, and etc. to reimburse at their normal rates for meds purchased outside the country? The Veterans Administration purchases many its drugs outside the United States. It is just not right.
    Could it have been they needed the support of pharmaceuticals to get the bill pass? I really don't know.

March 26, 2010 at 12:33 p.m.

• coolgranny,

I couldn't have said it better myself. That's the war I'm having with myself too. God's way is right and He will make it all work out. That is what I keep telling myself.

March 26, 2010 at 12:32 p.m.

• Coolgranny,

I enjoyed your comment. I wrote a blog early from my point of view on moral obligation. You might enjoy it. Thank your son for his service, they doing such a great job, I wish him well! May God stay at his side and comfort him in the time of war, it’s not pretty I can testify to that from my days.

March 26, 2010 at 12:31 p.m.

• Now, my Christian heart speaks. I watched in horror as the votes were slowly but surely counted. Votes that insured that the bill had truly been signed into law. My political side was still arguing with my Saviour. God had just said no to my ways. He reminded me that I am blessed to live in a free country where the majority views lead, and it really doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with the politics. What matters, is that I am free to disagree.
    On a personal note he reminded me of my constant arguing over my ways or God's ways just 3 years ago. I could not believe that my younger son would give up his ticket to ride the easier ride of life with college, career, wife, and in that order. We have been blessed and had planned to pass the blessings on to the next generation; as most parents try to do. He gently but firmly reminded me of my beautiful granddaughter, who literally runs to my arms, when she sees her MIMI. He reminded me that without her and the post-natal exams, my daughter-in-law's cancer would have silently killed her; at a very young age. God reminded me that he blessed me with a warrior son, who is now a part of the armed forces. Their decisions resulted in this really hard year and the medical expenses to be covered 100%. I was further reminded that I have been blessed with a family who rotated gifts each week to help my son with the endless gas costs and babysitting for almost 6 months. While the dust is settling on this law, I wonder how many lives will be saved. I will wait and see. God's ways are not man's ways.

March 26, 2010 at 12:21 p.m.

• Alton and Victore, I want to let you know that I am strongly opposed to the healthcare law as it is written. I am praying that the judicial branch will separate the wheat from the shaft for the good of all Americans. As an American, I am still proud that I will witness the process of democracy and the checks and balance system that makes this great country what it is. This system will take 3 to 4 years to refine this law into constitutional reality. My present concern is who is going to hold the money bags of the coming taxes. That is a no brainer. I am also concerned that the basic language takes away from the medicare and social security benefits from the least who can afford to lose another penny. Fixed average income people, like my retired mom, will feel the losses the most. I am a wait and see kind of person, who wishes I had dumped a chunk of change into pharmaceuticals last year....this is the true, selfish side of my nature....my Spirit man said no to that, too. I am still curious to follow the next two years as the bulls in the medical industry line up. Which companies will end up the Big 3? It won't last long, but all money that can be grabbed, will be grabbed. My guesses include BCBS, Aetna, and Metropolitan. Just guessing, Texas pharmaceutical to speculate is definitely Medco. It's all still business, nothing personal, just business. Unfortunately, the reality is personal to each and every hard working, tax paying person who has ever paid into a system that was supposed to be there for us in our golden years.

March 26, 2010 at 11:57 a.m.

• Thanks, Alton. You said it...lots of red tape and confusing terms... I'm already sick to my stomache.

March 25, 2010 at 11:14 p.m.

• Victore, tomorrow I will write my spiritual feelings concerning all of this. Trust me, my spiritual man and this human woman go round and round constantly. I still want to share, but it can wait.

March 25, 2010 at 7:33 p.m.

• I had a third part to this, but have lost it twice now, so will retire my ideas and eyes until tommorow. Thanks, Alton, for the great summary and a lot less reading than the bill. Yep, some of it will cost us, some of it will agree with us, and some of it won't last. Maybe just the good parts will make it through the years of judicial review. Good old checks and balances in our great country!

March 25, 2010 at 7:29 p.m.

• Feelings concerning pharmaceuticals include family members in the business, but my feelings focus on the TV ads for the latest meds out there. Those 30 second ads cost big bucks, and drive me up the wall because they add to the cost of the medicines being advertised and to all other old medicines. Televsion ads replace the jobs of a lot of reps, and maybe it is more cost efficient to the companies, but I doubt it. Pharmaceutical production and costs to the consumers need to be examined closely. A few years ago, I researched some medicine that was going to cost my mother a lot of money each month because of the donut hole discussed above. The same medicine was sold to other countries for pennies on the dollar. I don't mind donating money to aid countries with medical supplies, but my mom shouldn't have had to pay that expense after paying for medicare and social security all of her working life. That just isn't right. Pharmaceutical companies forcing their Good Samaritan costs on the retirees of America is just wrong.

March 25, 2010 at 6:11 p.m.

• Personal experience based on turning 60 this year has given me the following examples from which to agree or disagree with health reform. We have been blessed to work for 30+ years, and never miss a paycheck. Being old school, we saved before we ever saw the final amount on the paychecks, and being normal, we have always spent what we made. Life has been good to us. However, my experience with insurances through various companies and school districts has finally led to this 2010 year, when my and hub's well woman and man check-ups were done with no out of pocket expenses. No co-pay, no doctor's fee, no lab fees, no obgyn fees, not one penny. I was flabbergasted. I usually set aside about $500 throughout the year to pay for this wonderful experience in life.$500 in co-pay costs, nothing close to the totals. Needless to say, I feel like it is about time.

When I see the the well check benefits for medicare in 2011, I smile. My mom was and is one of those who refused to go in for well woman check-ups, so my sister would sign up and pay for the well checks offered once or twice a year at various churches or fire stations. The last one involved dragging her to the well check place, and it literally saved her life. A carotid artery surgery followed, and she is finally thinking clearly and feeling good at age 79. My internist always tells me to save a grand or two and use these services as well. I follow his advice and get all of that stuff done for about $300. Some things have needed to change for a long time, free well checks are one of those needed changes.

March 25, 2010 at 5:59 p.m.

• Alton, good read, they just don’t get do they? HCB is nothing more than the largest expansion of the government in the history of this country. God help us all…

March 25, 2010 at 5:40 p.m.