Comments

• LEGION357.

Since you automatically and always think I am wrong, maybe you should read the papers in Lavaca County.

May 26, 2010 at 7:09 p.m.

• Well BigJ, Lavaca county by refusing to establish a water district, does so at their own peril, read chapter 36 of the Texas water code.

Question: Why do the citizens of Jasper and Newton (or Lavaca) counties need a Groundwater Conservation District?
    Answer: A water shortage is developing in Texas, especially in large cities. By law, the State’s preferred way to manage groundwater is by the creation of local groundwater conservation districts. Without these districts, the Texas Supreme Court has ruled that one person may drill large wells on his land and do with the water as he pleases, even if in so doing he denies his neighbor the use of the water previously under his property.

Will the district have the authority to levy taxes, condemn property or go into the water selling business?
    Answer: No

What is known for sure is that by law, TCEQ is required to work through local groundwater conservations if they exist. If no local conservation district exist in any part of a PGMA and TCEQ determines there is need for control, the area in question will either be assigned to an existing groundwater district or TCEQ will create one for them under Chapter 36 of the Water Code.

Question: What are other areas of the state doing about creating districts?
    Answer: Rapidly developing water shortages, especially in cities, and a Texas Supreme Court ruling in 1999 have escalated interest in the creation of conservation districts. There are now 89 districts either created or confirmed covering approximately one half of the state. The availability of fresh water in Texas is probably the most critical issue facing the state. We are fortunate in Jasper and Newton (maybe Lavaca) counties to have plenty of both surface and groundwater at this time. The surface water from our rivers, creeks and lakes is protected and managed by local river authorities; however, without a groundwater conservation district, there is no management system in place to protect the water under our property from harmful removal.

May 26, 2010 at 6:33 p.m.

• Holein1.

The State Rep and State Senator was request by some within the county in question about protect water rights. The business interest lobbied both Legislators and Commissioner Court to put this on the ballot. After the first land slided defeat, they decided to force to issue by having two more elections on the issue.

When the peole said NO the first time, that should be enough.

May 26, 2010 at 5:32 p.m.

• SugarMagnolia...AWESOME!!! I had a dream the other night and Hacksaw was in it.

Writein, care to expand on your point? Just give me a brief synopsis, since I'm not really wanting to look it all up and stuff.

May 26, 2010 at 3:28 p.m.

• I guess I won't get an answer.

May 21, 2010 at 8:44 p.m.

• Alton.

Then how come you and others on here are not voicing your opinions about State Senator Hager and State Rep Morrison and their involment about water districts in Lavaca County?

May 20, 2010 at 6:35 a.m.

• Writein, I don't recall in my life time a public vote to separate water rights from mineral and gas rights--much less a repeated vote. I have written a few times that I believe water rights should be just like mineral and gas rights. The owner of the land owns unless sold all water rights on their property and underground.

I have written numerous times that I consider the educational problems as a matter of the delivery system and lack of parental involvement.

If my memory is correct, over the last 50 years, the Democratic Party controlled at least one house of Congress 37 years, controlled both houses of Congress and the Presidency 16 years.
    And Democratic Party has for a couple of year’s absolute power with a supermajority in the Senate, majority rule in the House and control of the Presidency.

The Republicans controlled both houses of Congress and the Presidency for only four years, during this time period. The Republican Party has never had a super majority control, control of both houses of Congress and the Presidency in the last 50 years.

May 19, 2010 at 6:46 p.m.

• Alton Easton.

Why are ingorning the problems here? Why are you ingoring water rights in this area being accused? Why are you ingoring the education problems?

People, you and the majority of this area voted for, cause these problems. Yall have been voting for them repeatly long before "Change" came before Washington.

May 19, 2010 at 5:31 a.m.

• When I was younger, the "American Dream" was Dusty Rhodes.

I'm sure nobody can relate to what I just said.....

My American dream has come true through my own hard work, and no help from the government.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

May 19, 2010 at 4:56 a.m.

• Alton,

In your mild manner of wisdom you have described socialism “the government of change…”

A very good read!

May 18, 2010 at 9:45 p.m.

• American Dream?!?!?! What is that?!?!?!

May 18, 2010 at 7:27 p.m.