Comments

• Where is Mr. Easton and why hasn't he reply.

January 11, 2011 at 4:12 p.m.

• Zero's use of the word "moron" tells you all you need to know about his political leanings. Anyone who refuses to drink the liberal/progressive/socialist/communist KoolAid MUST be a moron, since the liberals and their ilk are all our intellectual superiors. If you do not believe that, just ask them and they will tell you.

The problem with liberals is not what they don't know, it's what they do know that just ain't so. -- Ronald Reagan

January 11, 2011 at 3 p.m.

• Zero..."The morons say they have a right to carry guns in order to defend the consititution and their rights to LL&PH."

Are you saying that it's morons who go to the trouble to obtain a concealed handgun license and carry a handgun legally to defend themselves and their families? The Constitution has been defended by people with guns since it was ratified.

I don't think anyone will disagree with you when you say people don't have the right to carry handguns onto airliners and into your kid's school. Certainly Mr. Easton did not suggest that they do. Neither did he suggest that drug sales in the park is acceptable. If you believe the police aren't doing enough to stop such, go to the city council and make your complaints known. Don't be surprised though if they tell you there isn't enough money to hire more cops and patrol more diligently.

You say you make a lot of money. If you do, why do you "have to live terrrified about meth cranks with a gloch who have some right to make meth next to my school?" Move. I don't make a lot of money, but I don't live in fear of meth heads. My neighborhood is quiet and peaceful and it certainly isn't upper class. There is a house just down the street from me that is for sale. Since you make a lot of money, you could buy it. And, for the record, they don't have the "right" to make meth next to a school. If they do, it is a crime and perhaps you could let the police know about it. Good citizens do that, you know. They inform the authorities about criminal activities in their neighborhoods. The police can't be everywhere. Maybe this is a meth lab they don't know about and you would be a good citizen to let'em know about it.

Easton is right about the government being too intrusive in the everyday lives of citizens. His comment about salt and fats in our food is a perfect example. Government is taking away our rights to make basic decisions about how we live, eat, travel, and entertain ourselves. The president wants to give the Comerce Department control over the internet to the extent that users will have IDs from the government. That oughtta make you feel warm and fuzzy.

January 11, 2011 at 8:07 a.m.

• Zero.

You are my hero !!!!!!!!!!

January 11, 2011 at 5:17 a.m.

• Alton,

I was bored because the football game went on longer than anticipated, but really your premise is ... at best, confused. According to you, only a certain group of people believe that life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness are inalienable rights. That is bunk. I'm fairly convinced that everyone agrees to that.

The problem comes in defining what is a "right." Do morons have right to get on my airplane flight with a gun? I say they do not. Do morons have a right to bring guns into my kids' elementary schools? I say they do not. The morons say they have a right to carry guns in order to defend the consititution and their rights to LL&PH. But it infringes with my right to be free of morons. Are you going to tell me that my rights are inferior to the morons? Really? I work hard, I make a lot of money, yet I have to live terrrified about meth cranks with a gloch who have some right to make meth next to my school? They can carry guns, but the school kids can't? Why are the morons allowed to carry on drug sales in Riverside park "pursing happiness" but the fall out from those activities, crime, prostitution, drug use, trash, violence and noise are supposed to be accomodated under your BS contentions.

I think you need to recalibrate your offensive and start to help the great middle class that you abandon. You owe us major apologies.

January 11, 2011 at 12:33 a.m.

• Mr Alton.

There use to be a saying “people with glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.” If you desire liberty, then why not start here locally? By the way who controls local and state politics? They are conservatives. Where were you when Texas CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS like DAN PATRICK & GEANIE MORRISON, who are now forcing women to have Ultrasounds? Let me add Newly reelected Glenn Heagr and the water issues in Lavaca County?

You do not own the Declaration of Independence, it belongs to the AMERICAN PEOPLE. You do not own the United States Constitution, it belongs to the AMERICAN PEOPLE. You do not own patriotism, it belongs to those who love this nation. Just because you are conservative, that doesn’t mean you have all the sense in the world. Just because you are of the right doesn’t mean you love the nation more than other man.

By the way, Mr. Easton. To be patriotic, one must also be truthful about one’s nation. You can NOT say that the Department of Homeland Security was targeting Conservative groups, when there were two reports. One on LEFT WING groups and the other on the Right. On top of that the reports was written before the election of the Barack Obama. There is a blog in which you ignore that truth. There also a blog you wrote when you accuse the Administration of hiding or taking away ammo, when the truth is way different.

I am very, very interested in your reply. I hope that you answer and do not relay on those conservatives posters to back you up.

January 10, 2011 at 3:57 p.m.

• Great post, Alton. I can only add that I think, in your list of things we are tired of, you could have added the one that represents the epitome of everything that is wrong with the liberal/progressive/totalitarian mind-set, i.e. telling us what type of light bulb we may and may not use.

January 10, 2011 at 3:06 p.m.

• "STANFORD, Calif. - President Obama is planning to hand the U.S. Commerce Department authority over a forthcoming cybersecurity effort to create an Internet ID for Americans, a White House official said here today.

It's "the absolute perfect spot in the U.S. government" to centralize efforts toward creating an "identity ecosystem" for the Internet, White House Cybersecurity Coordinator Howard Schmidt said."

This makes ME feel all warm and fuzzy. Thank you, BO.

January 10, 2011 at 7:56 a.m.

• I believe you are confusing disagreement with a lack of understanding.

I understand completely, that the hard right believes in the rights of individuals above all else. But why do conservatives get to pick and choose which rights individuals should be allowed to have?

Individual rights trump all...unless it's a woman's right to choose...or a muslim's right to worship...or a homosexuals right to serve in the military or openly be with a loved one.

Why the hypocrisy?

I'm no yellow belly liberal either! I believe government is a necessary evil and neither side is acting in the best interest of the country.

So I understand completely the frustration and beliefs of the right, but just don't think taking government policy back 200 years is going to move us forward.

Especially when quasi-democracies like China, India, and Brazil are mandating industrial and manufacturing policies that are leaving the American economy in the dust. America will not compete with conflicting government ideologies taking turns every few years with no cohesive, unified plan to move the country forward.

January 9, 2011 at 8:18 p.m.