Comments

• Kyle. Well it is very nice to know it does not offend you to thank God for grandparents...: )

June 4, 2012 at 11 p.m.

• "Thank God (no offense Kyle & Vet) for grandparents."

I am not offended in anyway by grandparents.

June 4, 2012 at 4:21 p.m.

• Yep. About parents, grandparents and children having to live togeather because it is destroying the United States of America. Some how it went off into a political black hole.

Yes, times are hard but beating each other up won't fix whats broke.

June 4, 2012 at 3:23 p.m.

• The only way that this economy will work is for the jobs to be brought back to America because we cannot compete with the working conditions overseas, nor can we accept that kind of pay scale if we want America to prosper. Everyone hates unions, but this economy was singing throughout the heyday of the Unions. People need good pay to be able to pay for products. They need healthcare supplied by employers to be able to use their money for things besides their own healthcare.
    Now, in their infinite wisdom (haha) the GOP wants to raise the age of retirement. Well, if older people do not vacate their jobs early enough in life, then those jobs cannot go to younger people. We're in a vicious cycle of downgrade and the answer is entirely in the hands of big corporations, and yes, the govermnent. One party seems to understand that the economy grows from the ground up and the other party is messing this Country up almost beyond repair.

June 4, 2012 at 3:03 p.m.

• I am kind of all over the board in responding to this blog.
    First I agree - family needs to help family and I have helped my kids several times with cash, a place to stay and wheels to hunt a job - that IS what a family does.

Second - I know of a number of young adults who have huge tution loans and have degrees which have a very small job market - I don't understand what a Masters degree in some areas gets you. It may have been a field that was of great interest to them, but if the world needs 25 experts and you are the 26th - just makes getting a job that much harder. Also add to that the ego that I will not take a job below my degree level - enough said about that.

Third - none of the young adults noted above voted in the primary, you can't change anything you don't get involved in.

June 4, 2012 at 3:02 p.m.

• Alton. One of the groups we overlook is the men and women who fail in marriage, get divorced, and have to resort to move back in with parents for many reasons. This can really become a long time stay at Mom & Dads because someone needs to watch the grandkids while the single parent has to hit the job market, or chooses to setup squatters' rights for a long time. Thank God (no offense Kyle & Vet) for grandparents. They save their kids and the gov lots of bucks.

June 4, 2012 at 2:52 p.m.

• Again I'm not against young people living with their parents. Yes I know I'm a heartless scoundrel, I can't seem to help it, but what makes me sick is the reason - yes the reason, not the fact - that young people have to live with their parents, which I thought was the subject of this blog....oh well?

"According to a April 16–22 Generation Opportunity-commissioned Poll:

- The youth unemployment rate for 18-29 year olds specifically (NSA) for May 2012 is 12.1 percent.
    - The declining labor participation rate has created an additional 1.7 million young adults that are not counted as “unemployed” by BLS because they are not in the labor force, meaning that those young people have given up looking for work due to the lack of jobs.
    - If the labor force participation rate were factored into the overall 18-29 youth unemployment calculation, the actual 18-29-unemployment rate would rise to 16.9 percent (NSA).

Generation Opportunity President Paul T. Conway, former Chief of Staff of the United States Department of Labor, where the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) is housed, and the former Chief of Staff of the United States Office of Personnel Management (OPM) said:

“The young adult unemployment rate, now at 12.1 percent for those 18-29 years old, represents yet another chapter in the indefensible saga of how a great generation is being denied economic opportunity, jobs, critical skills, and the ability to pursue their dreams.

Young Americans – Majority Disapprove of President Obama’s Management of Youth Unemployment, Washington Out-of-Touch:

- Just 31% of 18 – 29 year-olds approve of President Obama’s handling of youth unemployment.
    - 69% say the current leadership in Washington fails to reflect the interests of the younger generation.
    - 59% of overall agree the economy grows best when individuals are allowed to create businesses without government interference.
    - 53% believe lowering business taxes increases hiring.

“Through no fault of their own, an increasing number of young Americans have begun to lose hope and have dropped out of the workforce entirely, disillusioned by the lack of jobs and dismayed at a White House that attacks America’s job creators and employers, while simultaneously putting Americans and their futures into deeper debt,” Conway said."

June 4, 2012 at 2:43 p.m.

• Thanks Kyle. I have to be careful and not get too warm and fuzzy. It really tweeks some folks on here.

June 4, 2012 at 1:15 p.m.

• "As long as my wife or I are alive, our children will have a home. I don't call that "socialist utopia". I call it "family"."

Best comment on here, well said Vet.

June 4, 2012 at 1:09 p.m.

• sorry, rollinstone

We must have been typing at the same time.
    Sure, government consumes a lot and it's what's keeping things afloat. Corporations are sitting on the bulk of this nations wealth and not giving any of it up because there is a depletion of consumer demand, due to the corporations sitting on the wealth.
    Newton's Law applies here.

June 4, 2012 at 12:58 p.m.

• Not sure how a blog about children living with thier parents is any form of socialism. The idea that someone would have issues with extended family as a sign of national decline is lost to me.

As far as my moral center I believe what I say and say what I believe. Haven't had much luck with callous indifferance. Must work for some. Granddad always said "You don't get taller by stepping on the back of others".

I wish you Good Karma Rillingstone.

June 4, 2012 at 12:56 p.m.

• rollinstone,

Why do you turn everything into socialism? America is just returning to it's past where family stayed family and was alwasy there for each other. It makes no sense for a young adult to have to go pay all the rent, utilities, food, etc. when they can be at home and just help pay for their keep, while saving their money to go toward schooling, automobile, future needs.
    My son stayed at home while he finished college and didn't need any college loans. He worked thoughout summers, so he could pay the tuition.
    Sure, he drove our cars, but that was a great trade-off for us not having to pay for college.
    When he finished college, he continued to live at home until he was over 30 and got married. He paid his way and actually helped us pay for things we needed.
    Socialism he]]. It's called family.

June 4, 2012 at 12:24 p.m.

• I'm not talking about the family or helping family members. I'm talking about the government consuming so much of the nation's wealth that it crushes innovation and job creation. It's really sad to see people graduating from high school and college and unable to find a job. Unemployment for 16 to 19 year olds is 25%, for 20 to 24 years old it is 13% - and that doesn't include those who have given up.....THAT IS A CRIME!

I'm surprised it doesn't bother you Vet, I mean you are the most compassionate, charitable person on this forum way more than most of the right wing heathens and other lowly riff raff that comment on here. I mean you even make the Pope kind a look jaded and callous. In fact with your moral superiority you should be Pope - I'd vote for you Vet.

June 4, 2012 at 12:17 p.m.

• Mid-twenties to early forties are critical years in the establishment of work experience, career identity, credit experience, retirement savings, and independence. When one cannot do these things in a timely manner, I contend it breaks the spirit of optimism and belief in the capitalist system. These individuals will look for someone to blame—after all they bought into the belief that if they went to college, good paying jobs would be available for them upon graduation.

June 4, 2012 at 12:15 p.m.

• Please explain how family members supporting and helping each other is a bad thing for our nation? What part of this "socialist crap" is collapsing the family unit?

We also cared for our parents, in our home until they passed away.

God, you got to hate them Pinko blood kin! They are an abomination to all that is "natural". Maybe we should take Grandma out in the woods and leave her?

Maybe if we were a bit more compassionate with those we love we will grow stronger as a community and a nation.

June 4, 2012 at 10:53 a.m.

• I would like to see them get a job!!!! Start their own lives, like nature intended. All this socialist crap is collapsing the family unit and making our children and theirs dependent on the government.

That destroys self reliance and ambition.....what's the use of trying anymore. Hello Greece!

June 4, 2012 at 10:19 a.m.

• Alton, sorry to blow up your blog with my comments. I think I'm venting to you. I probably owe you a fee for my therapy session. =P

June 4, 2012 at 9:58 a.m.

• Add the high cost of tuition to low paying jobs. My son makes $2.13 (?) an hour at a restaurant. Over twenty years ago, I made $2.01 an hour doing kind of the same work. College was much cheaper then. So, you see how tuition has skyrocketed while the wages a college student would make has remained about the same! Thank goodness for tips, but when the economy is bad, people aren't as generous.

My son had a table that spent over 100 dollars and left him five bucks. This, after he stayed at work late for this group that came in late.

For the record, when my husband and I go out to eat, we pay 20% or more for tip.

June 4, 2012 at 9:37 a.m.

• Socialist Utopia or Family? I agree vet.

Would you rather these people all just move out and get on some type of government assistance? The kind they are not expected to ever repay with fees and interest?

I am so glad that I live in a city with a community college. Almost two years towards a degree were taken care of without the added cost of room and board. I just wish my son would have chosen UHV. Maybe he can work on his Master's here. ::hoping::

June 4, 2012 at 9:07 a.m.

• As long as my wife or I are alive, our children will have a home. I don't call that "socialist utopia". I call it "family".

June 4, 2012 at 8:57 a.m.

• College is expensive, so I can totally understand how college loans and late fees and interest can end up crippling a person, financially. TAMU Corpus runs about $18,000.00 a year, not counting summers. 18,000.00 is what my son's loan would be for a year of tuition there. We are trying to avoid loans.

June 4, 2012 at 8:53 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

June 4, 2012 at 8:46 a.m.

• I want my children to live with me as long as they need to. It could save about 500-1,000 dollars a month! I would hope that they save that money to go to college, which is what my twenty-year-old is home doing this summer, because student loans are 10% or, for my son, 6.8% to pay for a fraction of tuition. If not in college, I hope they will save money for a down payment on a home. There's no shame in that. As long as they are working and contributing in some way, there will always be room here for them.

June 4, 2012 at 8:35 a.m.

• Welcome to the socialist utopia.

June 4, 2012 at 8:20 a.m.