Comments

• A few thoughts here--

Fortunately for us as a society, most cases of bullying do not result in such a tragic end.

However, when children are bullied, there is indeed a lasting effect. Many times, those who are bullied vow that they will never be bullied again and adopt the attitude of "If I don't want to be bullied, then I must be the bully." It speaks to their immaturity and their 'either/or' thinking.

I never promote violence, but I do believe in some cases, a bully can be successfully challenged and should be. Does not have to involve violence, just confrontation.

Sometimes it is very hard to remember that most bullies are just trying to compensate for their insecurities. And sometimes they are just telling the truth, like it or not.

But anytime a child feels it is necessary to end their life, it is just another sad commentary on our society.

April 3, 2010 at 1:02 p.m.

• Local Girl.

You took my words out of context. If you won’t fight back, the bully will not respect you.

April 2, 2010 at 5:22 a.m.

• "10:46 PM CDT on Wednesday, March 31, 2010
    By JESSICA MEYERS / The Dallas Morning News
    jmeyers@dallasnews.com

A 13-year-old hangs himself in a Johnson County barn. An 8-year-old jumps out of a two-story school building in Houston. Nine Massachusetts teenagers face jail time after allegedly harassing a girl so mercilessly that she killed herself. These incidents, all of which took place in the past week, reframe the age-old phenomenon of the schoolyard bully.

Students are turning to suicide, experts say, as an escape from taunts that now continue beyond the school day through cyberspace. Such drastic responses, they say, reveal how an action once considered a rite of passage has turned into a public health issue.

"You used to get a reprieve every time you went home," said Beaux Wellborn, who helps lead the Bully Suicide Project, a Dallas effort started in November to address the surge in suicides. "Kids today don't get a reprieve. It's a constant cycle. Imagine waking up and getting a text message that someone hates you, then dealing with it at school and getting home to face it on Facebook and Instant Messenger."

Notions of suicide are also morphing, according to Wellborn, who dealt with routine catcalls and books thrown at his head in high school a decade ago. Suicide, he said, has become almost vogue. One bullied kid he worked with had made a suicide pact with another through an online chat room. "It's very honorable," Wellborn said.

Data does not exist to link suicides with bullying, although Wellborn's organization has counted four in the Dallas area this year. The most recent one occurred this weekend, when the Johnson County boy hanged himself in a barn.

There are others. A 15-year-old freshman at Cleburne High School killed himself last year after classmates teased him about his facial scars. They'd come from a car accident when he was toddler. Also last year, an 11-year-old Massachusetts boy hanged himself after enduring daily taunts of being gay. This year, a 15-year-old Irish high school student in Massachusetts, who had been tormented by peers, was found hanging in her stairwell. Nine teenagers were indicted on charges relating to her death this week."

I wanted to bring attention to bullies and their victims so that is why I have touched on this subject. Bullies' words are dangerous and sometimes deadly--that's my purpose.

To say that victims of bullying are products of American educators and a WUSS nation is placing the blame on victims and not the bullies. What don't you guys understand about that?

April 1, 2010 at 5:11 p.m.

Above is another story of where bullies claim another victim. This bully vs. others is a never-ending story, I'm afraid.

Justin you stated, "If you can't fight a flea off your butt, then you are not a person." So by this statement, you saying that victims of bullies are less than a person? Exactly how is that not blaming the victim?

Ex, I didn't say you couldn't read or post on this blog, just that if you place a comment under a blog I submit/write, then I guess I thought you were commenting on the contents. My "problem" with your comments is that you blame schools and society for creating bullies. At least that is what I gathered from your comments about cramming kids in a place they don't want to be....lather, rinse and repeat. Have I misunderstood your comments?

April 1, 2010 at 4:11 p.m.

• Let me add on here. If America had the Pacficist, liberal, femist, soccormom mentiality like this during WWII, we could be speaking German and I would be gassed or shot because I'm black.

I believe in fighting back. I believe in self defense. There is differnce between looking for a fight and fighting back.

April 1, 2010 at 2:02 p.m.

• LocalGirl.

How can you sit there and accuse us of being bullies, but being a bully towards exresident and myself? I did NOT say anything about the victim. WHERE IN MY LAST STATEMENT, I MADE A DISREPESCTFUL COMMENTS TOWARDS the victim? Where? Where?

My answer is SELF DEFENSE and SELF RESPECT. If you allow yourself to be victim, then that’s how you will always be victim.

April 1, 2010 at 1:55 p.m.

• It's a scientific fact that many times a bully in school grows up to be a bully as an adult. By the comments I have read on line on this website, I see that many bullies have found a forum to spew their hate.

Justin, I didn't put words in your mouth. That's impossible, since the outpouring of vile statements don't allow any input.

Exresident, until this website is owned by you or controlled by you, then my blogs and thoughts are freely expressed here. You don't like what I have to say, then take your viewing to someplace else. No one is forcing you to read or comment.

I put this bully issue out on this site, because I care about what is happening in our schools and workplaces. Bullies feed off of violence and violence seems to be yours and Justin's answers. Interesting.

April 1, 2010 at 12:49 p.m.

• But not everybody is brought up like that. I've got kids on my little league team that couldn't whip a gust of wind, and that's the way they are raised. There has been several cases of bullying leading to suicide and several have been taken to trial and convicted of manslaughter. ( I believe that's what the charge was but I may be wrong.)

April 1, 2010 at 12:48 p.m.

• Exresident.

Thank you, we allow wussincation from people like Jane Velez Micthell’s, and the Dr. Phil’s of the world for the past generation. If you can't fight a flea off your butt, then you are not a person.

I was bought to when hurt by another, fight back.

April 1, 2010 at 12:39 p.m.

• Local Girl.

Thank you for putting words in my mouth. Re-read my statement, I said “ Bullied to Death thing is proof of the Wussiness of American Society. Why not fight back?” No where in my comment I personal talked about the victim. I was referring to American Society and its view on bullying.

If the victim had fought back by actually putting foot to @$$ to someone bullying him. Look, in high school and Jr High, if someone picked on me I will return the favor. I brought up to defend one’s self and to kick Butt when needed.

April 1, 2010 at 12:24 p.m.

• First of all, bullying doesn't necessarily mean getting your head dunked in the toilet or physically attacked. Bullying can be more discreet and deadly.

Fight back, you say? That's as easy as when you tell a young person, "Oh, they're just jealous of you. You are precious and they can't handle it...etc." Words that hurt are like barbs that stick and sometimes become festered. It's that final insult, final jab that just hurts too much to take it anymore. Some children are tired of being in pain and they don't tell anyone how hurt they are.

To blame the victim of bullying is really unkind, because it's like blaming a victim of any kind of abuse. The abuser is to blame. So, Justin, you just called this young boy, who hung himself, a wuss. Do you feel better now? Your words and attitude towards him and other bullying victims speaks volumes about your character.

April 1, 2010 at 10:29 a.m.

• Bullied to Death thing is proof of the Wussiness of American Society. Why not fight back?

March 31, 2010 at 11:53 p.m.

• There are programs to help the staff and students fight bullying in schools, but until we have a student here die from effects of bullying, I guess it won't happen.

March 31, 2010 at 7:22 p.m.