Comments

• Kenneth said: "We need to PUT A GREATER pressure on those who both appoint CAD members and CAD members themselves."

Yep, we need more people speaking up like this:

December 30, 2009 at 11:07 p.m.

• When my daughters and I need to do major shopping like school clothing, we go to First Colony. Its just nicer.

December 30, 2009 at 5:44 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

December 30, 2009 at 4:25 p.m.

• Kenneth, not only the off-gases. Carpets cannot be thoroughly cleaned everyday, with just vacuums. Dust, germs, and other gross things get trapped in carpet. If they are steamed cleaned and not allowed to totally dry, then mold will start to grow. Carpets are one of the nastiest inventions of mankind.
    I do understand why they put carpet in there though. My daughter was getting her hair cut one time and a lady slipped on a wet spot right outside of the door. I guess the liability ins. was going to go sky-high after that.

December 30, 2009 at 3:29 p.m.

• Exresident-perfect! I like the way you said that! I personally get in and get out of the mall. Don't like going there at all. Then again, a few hard things to find I might order online, but I perfer to go to places like Wharton, Spring, and Boerne and walk the four blocks downtown and visit all of the shops and even eat in a resteraunt in that radius. People are nicer, service is better, and all in all it is a more enjoyable shopping expierence. I love town squares!
    When I lived in Jacksonville Florida there were two major shopping areas. One was 1st street. You had the beach on one side and the shops on the other. It was lovely. The other one was downtown, Riverside, which was like Riverwalk in SA but more open. All of the resteraunts only had seating outside. It was so much nicer. Looking out to the river and then watching street performers and artist. Ahhhhh thanks res you brought back some good memories!!!
    Glad to know the Advocate is looking into this. Also glad to know Victoria Seceret isn't closing....she is the only one who understand me!!! HA

December 30, 2009 at 3:28 p.m.

• More and more stores are moving out of malls, high rent, and other reasons, many malls around the country are replacing stores with other interest such as museums, etc; to attract people, malls use to be fun, but being faced with large crowds of people who dress gross, act gross, has left me not to go there. Online shopping, independent small stores have much more to offer and you don't get offended or grossed out.

December 30, 2009 at 2:09 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

December 30, 2009 at 1:50 p.m.

• Kenneth,

The CAD may very well be influenced as you say. However, the well connected and those able to afford to document and argue their cases before the appraisal board receive more favorable tax valuations. These people have been know to use distressed sale prices to calculate their tax liability but leaving their neighbor properties and all others at the inflated CAD appraised value. The guy who created Wayne's World has particularly benefited from this process. There are many others who do the same and each time someone doesn't pay his fair share it means you and I have to pay more than our fair share.

December 30, 2009 at 1:50 p.m.

• The CAD has always been a tool used by the well connected to gain favorable tax treatment for their assessed valuations. The CAD is inherently unfair to homeowners. The CAD kowtows to the politically connected who employ surrogates, or so called experts, to whittle their tax bills down.

December 30, 2009 at 10:54 a.m.

• Our business reporter Allison Miles checked into the rumor about Victoria's Secret closing. She found out that rumor is false. We have someone checking into these other rumors as well and will keep you updated. Thanks - CJ

December 30, 2009 at 10:33 a.m.

• When I have to go to the mall, I always use the outside entrances to stores and very seldom go out into the halls. I just do not like that carpet they put in there. My allergies start acting up really bad and Sears...do not get me started on the stink of their carpet. it's gross.

December 30, 2009 at 9:43 a.m.

• The mall is a big joke anyway. It is old, run down, and a gathering place for unsupervised children ( who, by the way, are supposed to be attended by an adult but are not), and thugs who walk up and down yelling and being unruly. The mall needs to be renovated or even removed and a new mall built. But that will never happen in Victoria. Our great city leaders will continue to spend thousands of dollars on consulting firms trying to figure out how to make the city more attractive, when all they need to do is open their eyes!

December 30, 2009 at 9:37 a.m.

• It would not bother me in anyway if the whole mall closed down. The mall since day one has been high rent. The mall contains only 2 places I shop. The first of would open up somewhere with cheaper rent. Any time I go into the second one what I want has to be ordered anyway and that can be done from the computer I posting this comment from.

December 30, 2009 at 9:16 a.m.

• I wonder why this post was not deleted, not that I want it too but when I posted about the closers a couple of months ago my post were deleted for lack of validity. Now, on to the news, this just stinks. I have seen this coming and so has some others for awhile. I have a very interesting bit of info for the oilfield rat's out there that I will be posting after lunch that will sound unbealievable, but true.

December 30, 2009 at 6:29 a.m.

• Many economists predicted for sometime a high probability of a second mortgage/financial crisis when the commercial property bumble burst. Sure pray this is not an indication of a trend. Many cities, school districts, and counties will have major revenue budget short falls.

December 29, 2009 at 11:19 p.m.

• Bealls too?

December 29, 2009 at 9:03 p.m.

• Wow, that's a hefty drop in assessed property value:

2009 -- $9,627,000
    2008 -- $12,940,910
    2007 -- $14,841,780
    2006 -- $13,123,970
    2005 -- $14,841,780
    2004 -- $14,887,430
    2003 -- $14,887,430
    2002 -- $18,838,680
    2001 -- $17,060,630
    2000 -- $18,544,740
    1999 -- $17,119,170
    1998 -- $19,034,250

December 29, 2009 at 8:57 p.m.

• i have heard of Victoria secret closing . the mall is now going under new management or something and they r raising the rent to outrages prices so stores have decided to close , my mother worked for the mall management a couple years ago and thats y they lost hottopic and other stores .

December 29, 2009 at 8:17 p.m.

• I sure haven't. I was told FYE, Waldenbooks and Bealls was leaving. Advocate confirmed FYE and Waldenbooks. Bealls has a storewide clearance and buy one get one free going so there may be some truth to it.

December 29, 2009 at 7:36 p.m.