Comments

• mushroom,

You're absolutely correct. Despite the presupposition built into the title, this blog debunks the implied notion that Catholics (or whoever) should automatically vote for the candidate who's "most Catholic", especially without critically evaluating the candidate's policies and actions. While voters should "vote their conscience", I'd hope their consciences are driven by the defense of individual personal & economic liberties and the desire for smaller, less intrusive gov't.

January 23, 2012 at 11:51 a.m.

• I would hope Catholics, as well as Jews, Protestants, Muslims, etc. living in the U.S. and having a vote, would vote their conscience, not that of their church or political affiliation or how Daddy voted for 40 years. I am an American, and fortunte to be able to say our individuality is allowed. I'm just about positive a war was fought for the right to be indivuals and think freely, not having a despot deciding how I should think. Too many people allow themselves to be the puppet of an organization. Why do otherwise intelligent people lose their perspective when they vote for our leaders. "I am a Republican, Catholic, whatever, and that's the way I vote." That is just so un-American and butchering the constitution as badly as Stephen Tyler butched our national anthem yesterday.

January 23, 2012 at 11:28 a.m.

• Borglord.

Just because you hate religion doesn't mean you are any better than anyone else.

Mr. Williams

January 20, 2012 at 5:55 p.m.

• How about someone who doesn't rely on guidance from THE INVISIBLE GUY IN THE SKY--TIGITS, our imaginary friend?

January 20, 2012 at 3:51 p.m.

• Rick Santorum is a fundamentalist and he has a problem with those that aren't. Again, I haven't seen where he has gained a lot of ground with Catholics. He's always been a bit of a flake....I do see your point.

I understand what you mean about consistency but in politics I want someone that's flexible in this environment. I’m tired of gridlock......It may be an important issue for some but I think it fails in importance to the fact that three of the four remaining GOP candidates are ready to go to war with Iran tomorrow.

Thanks for the discussion.

January 20, 2012 at 3:23 p.m.

• Mike,

I'm the last person who'd advocate having a "Pastor in Chief", and I think the message of the video is getting lost here. Woods points out that Santorum, who gains a lot of ground with Catholics for being Catholic, hasn't been consistent in his application Catholic doctrine, which is a fair observation. This about claiming to be one thing and actually being another. The same case can & has been made for Santorum claiming to be a fiscal conservative.

I'm sure you're aware that I don't advocate legislating morality, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't understand the calibration of a candidate's moral compass so we can have a general idea how they may react to an issue. If a candidate claims their moral compass points east when history shows it points southwest, wouldn't you want to better understand that deviation? Don't such deviations call a candidate's credibility into question?

In full disclosure, I'm agnostic and have no interest in a particular "brand" of morals, but I still have a strong moral code that mimics Christian morals in most respects. I still have the right to be insulted by a candidate claiming to be righteous while being a scumbag.

With few words, I think you've made the perfect case for why morality shouldn't be dictated from on high.

January 20, 2012 at 2:53 p.m.

• Pope for Prez 2012!

January 20, 2012 at 2:42 p.m.

• Yes I did and gave it no value on a point of logic. The fact that there are diverse candidates from several religions running the point seemed moot.

I must be honest, the nanosecond I hear politics and religion blended into the same conversation I shut the source off.

January 20, 2012 at 2:38 p.m.

• We don't need a pastor in chief. Authority? The stats from the 2008 election I pulled from Wiki proved him wrong...When voters close the curtains,they are alone with their thoughts...

Moral code is subjective and I seriously doubt that ANY president is bound to that..Presidents read daily briefs which sets the agenda for our safety.

I don't let others define morals..It could be doing everything to combat climate change effects etc...Remember the presidential election concerns non Christians as well.

You would be surprise...Oh never mind believe what you want.

January 20, 2012 at 2:24 p.m.

• vet43,

Did you watch the video? If so, you'd know that Woods is applying the Catholic doctrine to the actions of the "leading" Catholic candidate, Rick Santorum. Are there any Buddists or Wiccans running for President whose actions have run counter to their chosen belief system? If so, someone should make a video pointing out their hypocrisy.

January 20, 2012 at 2:18 p.m.

• Mike,

I think it's more of an editorial on being consistent. Since Tom Woods is Catholic and somewhat of an authority on the impact of Catholic doctrine on politics, he chose the "most Catholic" candidate to contrast with Ron Paul, the candidate who doesn't have problems with being consistent. I doubt Woods thinks the Catholic community is monolithic, but he seems to think Catholic doctrine is absolute enough to not be ignored when casting a vote, which doesn't sound like an unreasonable premise to me. If you have a moral code, shouldn't you strive to apply it to every action?

Would Newt be Catholic if he was paid to be something else?

Along these lines, a well-known Houston pastor (who happens to be black) recently made a compelling case for Ron Paul, I'm sure to the dismay of the "Christians for Righteous Indiscriminate Death" voting bloc:
    www.gracefamilybaptist.net/voddie-bau...

January 20, 2012 at 2:07 p.m.

• Whom should Buddhist vote for? What about the Wiccas? I will throw down a few chicken bones and pull the lever. Does anyone really believe that the next President will be dictated by a sermon?

Why would anyone ask this question?

January 20, 2012 at 2:04 p.m.

• Do you think Catholics are monolithic? In the 2008 election the tally was Obama: 54% and McCain 45% of the catholic vote. I don't pretend to be the authority on catholic votes but I think it's one of those stats that are a highly overrated. The Catholic vote is about 25% of the total electorate in the United States and I seriously doubt that anyone in the forum knows the answer because the question is about two republicans, which narrows it down quite a bit..Newt Gingrich is a Catholic,why was he left out?..... I would be willing to bet that they are a lot of Catholics who keep their politics secular as most Americans do.

Anyway that's my opinion.

January 20, 2012 at 1:31 p.m.