Comments

• Spotter

I don't know if that was a tongue- in -cheek comment that you made towards Joe Biden's 2007 comment about impeaching the president . In that same video, he admits it's up to the House of Representatives because they are the ones who can impeach and I seriously doubt that the senate would convict.

We could re-institute the draft, so more people have buy in instead of the less than 1%.That certainly would make us stop and think.

Do you have any ideas of how a president can get elected without being a strong supporter of Israel and say so before a group like AIPA? What are the chances of a legislator who votes to defund the troops while they are engaged?

March 30, 2012 at 1:21 p.m.

• Tough language toward Bush from Joe Biden: http://goo.gl/xvhuj

I find comfort in knowing the ever-impeccable Biden will lead a charge to impeach the Prez if he doesn't seek Congressional approval to attack Iran. Maybe we can get a full declaration of war this time with achievable goals so the Congress will take more ownership and be more willing to defund it when the job is done. Or maybe we can stop being a sock puppet for Israel.

March 30, 2012 at 10:22 a.m.

• Writein, well said.

March 29, 2012 at 10:26 p.m.

• BS Spotter.
    I assume if Israel or the U.S. attacks Iran there will be a spillover effect in Iraq which would “make” America invades Iraq yet again. I say we won’t be there for long on Iranian or Iraqi soil because I think Israel’s War with Iran would be like how Austria’s war with Serbia almost a hundred years ago. What I mean is a third World War. I think America will have to force its “National Security” focus on American soil.

There are a number of ways to prevent or slow down the tensions. I think President Obama should meet with his Iranian counterpart face to face at a neutral setting. If the Kennedy brothers can meet with Khrushchev, why can’t Obama (better yet Netanyahu) and Ahmadinejad? Someone from the 1960’s used to say those who favor war should also prepare to die. If Netanyahu or any other neo-con in London, Washington, or in Jerusalem doesn’t want to die, then they must find peaceful outcomes. If we in America should find a way to purge out people like Joe Lieberman, Lindsey Graham, Rev. John Hagee, and John McCain from politics, then international relations would be fine. Sadly on both sides, we are not getting leaders who would seek peace first. With the unpopularity of President Obama in 2012, the political defeat of Iranian reformer Mohammad Khatami, and the seemly reelection of Netanyahu, there is no chance for cooler heads and reason to govern.

March 29, 2012 at 8:56 p.m.

• Writein said: "Iraq in 9 years? Depends on who is the President next year and in the next term."

I was asking if you thought, back in 2003, we would've been in Iraq 9 years (not 9 more years)? Considering how long we've squatted on Iraq for a bundle of lies*, can you really be certain we wouldn't be in Iran for a decade? Iran has 2.5 times the population of Iraq, which means we might have to fight 2.5 times as many civilians trying to throw off occupation. Then again, we might be banking on Iran's low gun ownership rates (~1/5 of Iraq per capita: www.goo.gl/60kKt) to make it a relative cake walk. I don't think we'll be content disabling their known nuclear capabilities. We'll find a reason to put troops on the ground. I hope I'm wrong! Based on my last post, it looks like we get to wait a while. All bets are off with a Pres. Romney, though.

*How badly do they screw up before we can take away our government's war card? Or is that what the elections are for — to give us the impression a different gov't is in charge?

March 29, 2012 at 3:49 p.m.

• BsSpotter.

Let me answer your questions. As in Iran, do you mean the elite, the military, conservatives, hardliners, and the terrorist groups or the othe more peace modaerate half? I believe the hardliners in Iran do want a war with the United States. Iraq in 9 years? Depends on who is the President next year and in the next term. I do think the Military Industial Complex have some role in the Obama adminstration, but not as great as Bush’s or even Clinton’s. Look how President Obama went to war with Lybra, it took him weeks, months to decide an order. This is why I still believe we need a cabinet of unity that is a clean break from former adminstrations.

Mr. Williams.

March 29, 2012 at 1:54 p.m.

• Haaretz Newspaper (Israel) - "Israel's plan to attack Iran put on hold until next year at the earliest":
    www.goo.gl/84Je8

March 29, 2012 at 10:44 a.m.

• Spotter

I sincerely agree because I wrote a blog several weeks ago about Iran's efforts to build a nuclear weapon,even named the sites, from what I thought was a reliable source..Time Magazine... I've read several sources to the contrary since then; including those from the links you provided...I don't know what to believe.

Lol..."the low volume and frequency of the drumbeats." The neoconservatives want to support the rebels in Syria(whoever they are) attack Iran, reinstall troops in Iraq and stay in Afghanistan forever.
    Despite what we may think of them, Iran is not seeking a death wish. We may not think that Iran is an imminent threat but we can't erase that from the minds of Israel. I'm not that optimistic about a peaceful resolution because Iran has agreed to come to the table before and backed out at the last minute. .. In my opinion; we have a lot a dishonest brokers at the table.

"Do you think the Military-Industrial Complex (a term you've used) doesn't have any influence over the Obama administration?"..From sources I've read the answer is NO...That's the reason 2 generals were more or less fired and General Patraeus is at the CIA (out of the way),Leon Panetta is at Def. Dept and .Hillary is Sec of State and Joe Biden is VP...They know the workings and manipulations of the MIC...I could be wrong but they are there for a purpose.

March 27, 2012 at 4:52 p.m.

• Writein,

I don't "automatically assume" an Iranian first strike will be due to a covert US action. I acknowledge (& fear) it as a possibility that we could stir something up that way, which certainly isn't a novel idea (Brookings - "Which Path to Persia?", 2009). As someone who periodically cites Operation AJAX, I don't have to tell you that we have a knack for the covert in Iran. Look no further than the CIA's planning of a "soft revolution" in 2009.

Do you really think Iran wants to fight a conventional war against us?

Did you think we'd be in Iraq for 9+ years?

Do you think the Military-Industrial Complex (a term you've used) doesn't have any influence over the Obama administration? Did the MIC take a term off?

March 27, 2012 at 4:37 p.m.

• Mike,

I sincerely hope you're right and a peaceful solution is found before unsavory influences prevail. I'd feel better about the media if more would be made of reports (www.goo.gl/6Apnu) that come out about Iran not being an imminent threat. Sure, Israel will determine what happens. When don't they? ;) And the low volume and frequency of the drumbeats don't give me comfort.

March 27, 2012 at 4:13 p.m.

• Bs Spotter.

You automactically assume that Iran will strike based on US covet ops? Have it ever occur to you that they might attack because they want to? This doesn’t mean I am favoring an attack on Iran’s nuclear plants or back Isreal’s desire to. I would 100% back American forces if attack by the Iranians. I would like to see Isreali Prime Minister Benjamin Netuhyau impreached or removed from office. A war with Iran will not be another 10 year war. Such a war assuming Netuhyau will order the bombing, will be a Third World War. Which I might add might be fought here on American soil as well. I do not care if some crazy Jackson County chruch-going Hick calls me the Anti-Chirst for telling the turth about the Prime Minister of Isreal.

Mr. Williams

March 27, 2012 at 3:23 p.m.

• Spotter

I agree that the general population of Iran are good intelligent people but they are under a repressive regime and its unsure who's in charge. Is it the ruling Mullahs, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard or President Amidinejad?

I believe Israel is determining factor as to whether we go to war because we're doing everything possible to prevent that from happening. We just don't have the resources for another war that's really not our interest except that no one wants Iran to develop a nuclear weapon.

There is a difference between the sound of drumbeats from the Iraq war than the current ones for a war with Iran. True, they are both coming from neoconservatives but so far the pentagon is not sending propaganda to the New York Times and Washington Post to promote a war.

It's not as if Iran is an innocent bystander and because we know they were making and sending IEDs to Iraq, that killed our troops. We know that Iran is a supporter of known terrorist groups such as Hezbollah. They can do a lot of damage to the world economy by closing off the Straits of Hormuz.

We hope that sanctions will work and just this morning I heard that they're willing to come to the table sometime in April. We can't back them into a corner with sanctions because then their only option is to retaliate. We have to do a better job in negotiation by convincing China in Russia that it's in their interest also.

The Middle East and is too complicated for just one answer; we know that Saudi Arabia t funded the terrorists who killed 3000 of our citizens on 9/11 and we know that Pakistan is harboring the remnants of Al qaida; both are our Allies.

March 27, 2012 at 9:58 a.m.

• rollinstone,

I don't think Iran is that far off when they paint murals in opposition to American imperialism or to Israel being our 51st state. Some of those murals remind me of anti-war art in America during the Bush years. If Iran had orchestrated a coup in America that installed a leader who diverted our national resources to Iranian interests for 25 years, you bet we'd have some anti-Iranian propaganda on our buildings too.

And yes, they're different, so naturally they're a threat.

March 27, 2012 at 9:20 a.m.

• vet43,

That's sickening and likely foretelling. The same self-serving gov't and mouthpiece media that connected Iraq with "terrorism" in the American psyche are now unfolding a story about how Iran is an imminent nuclear threat. I have real fears that Iran will retaliate against a US covert action which will be deemed a first strike (as spelled out in a Brookings paper), or a false flag event will occur that will justify Shock-n-Awe II, sponsored by Toby Keith's "Dueling Banjos Tour". I can't take any more needless death in my name or erosion of our rights at home in the name of "security". America, as we know it, will crumble under the weight of another 10-year war.

A day of reckoning is coming when our dollar will be worthless after losing its de facto reserve status, our military will be spread way too thin, our global credibility will have the plague, and we're left holding a bag of service industry jobs with no one left to buy anything. Yet, we go looking for foreign misadventures to expedite the unraveling of our country's fabric.

I can't understand how groups like the Tea Party—who outright acknowledge that gov't serves a master other than The People—can so blindly cheer for more military action under such thin veils. I think these lapses in reason might have to do with the Israel button they keep pushing. Just a hunch.

March 27, 2012 at 9:03 a.m.

• Seeing the signs posted on their buildings and mosques about America and Israel did not give me the feeling that they really, really like us. After all they are trying to build nuclear weapons to use against Israel - they have left little doubt about that.

Except for the anti USA and Israel signs there was no gang graffiti on their buildings and no trash littering their roads and parks. Nor did I see anyone walking around with their pants down around their knees, tattoos on their faces, jewelry piercing their noses etc. and so on. This indicates to me that there may be something wrong with that culture and therefore an obvious threat of some sort.

March 26, 2012 at 3:47 p.m.

• Sorry. I forgot to mention this act of heroic protection of our country took place in Cal. Just makes you proud, right?

March 26, 2012 at 3:27 p.m.

• Note: Iraqi mother of 5 beat to death with tire iron in her home. There was a note left with the body, "go home terrorist".

I can think of at least 5 young people that may have anger towords us.

March 26, 2012 at 3:24 p.m.