Comments

• I'm all for a healthy religious debate- it means that our brains and souls are still working as they should.
    As for evolution, well.... it's still a theory, especially the part about higher species evolving from lower species, like a tiger from a shark. Not enough fossils to prove that yet. I have no problem of evolution, as long as it's taught as a theory. As my kids enter junior high, they will be prepared for books/teachers that try to teach them they come from monkeys and that it's a proven historical point!!! lol
    We have separation of state and religion here. We have no state church, and the church is not trying to appoint and annoint presidents. Yes, churches can guide on principles, and it's their duty to do so.  I like our set up.
    I think all candidates pander. Why can't they pander to religionists?
    I agree that some shouldn't be saying "God is on our side." That's a bit much.

December 15, 2007 at 3:31 p.m.

• In 1992, Mike Huckabee said “God is on the side of Republicans and with George W. Bush”.
    Why does that remind me of the short story by Mark Twain. What was it? The War Prayer? Everyone screams their cause it righteous and never bothers to look and see what their advantages could take from others. God help and guide us all.

December 15, 2007 at 3:15 p.m.

• Hello maryann
    I don’t want this country; go back to 1925 in which a teacher John Scopes was put on trial for teaching his students a chapter on  Darwinian evolution. We’re not that far off, because three GOP candidates raised their hands indicating that they did not believe in the theory of evolution. This is the year 2007. Why are we even asking the question?
    I think religion thrives in the USA, because it coincides with science. Religion could and should play a dominant role in combating global warming.
    Mike Huckabee, asked question “Do the Mormons believe that God and Satan were brothers?” Obviously, Mr. Huckabee was pandering to the evangelicals. Again, this is the year 2007, we should be beyond that. In 1992, Mike Huckabee said “God is on the side of Republicans and with George W. Bush”. Many think our current president has a messianic worldview that, told him  to the bring freedom to the Middle East. That’s dangerous. This will cause our country to be like the Shiites and Sunni.
    I’ll really saying separation of church and state becoming less and less.

December 15, 2007 at 1:31 p.m.

• I don't know exactly who the "we" are when you think of inviting a holy war, Mike, but I think the war is going on if we invite it or not, so some of us grab our weapons and hop in. My favorite weapons are the Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet!
    I believe that without true Christian principles and morality, politics and business become tyrannical. I have in mind communist govts. of the last century. Also,  some stock holders from Enron might have hoped that the execs. remembered the 7th and 8th Commandments as their retirement funds went to zero.
    I hear you Hightower about those who shout out the loudest in the name of religion can sometimes do the worst damage. Usually, those types can be seen through, but sadly, not right away by many people. If we look at the lives of some of the great saints, such as St. Francis of Assisi and John Paul the Great, who will be canonized, they didn't do much shouting. There holy and selfless actions spoke incredibly louder than words.

December 14, 2007 at 9:07 p.m.

• Hello LAhightower
    Thanks for sharing , I didn’t know what Hillary was going through during the Bill Clinton fiasco,but the segment on CNN; where the candidates discussed their faith, she brought up the story you mentioned.
    I remain leary of those people who think injecting scripture, gives them instant credibility

December 14, 2007 at 2:40 p.m.

• Despite my personal issues with Hillary, she did make one statement that impressed me as a Christian. She said her upbringing and background had made her suspicious of those who wear their religion on their sleeves. I completely understand this sentiment. My family has seen some tough times in the church, and often it's the ones who shout our Lord's name the loudest who have done the most damage. Thankfully, we've had friends of faith that used gentleness and love to help us heal.
    But the main reason this impressed me was a recap back to when dear old Bill was in office and on the track for impeachment. There are several accounts of Hillary quietly taking a Bible with her and taking some time to herself throughout the day to read the scriptures. I may not approve of the Democrat platform, but if we get someone like Romney or Huckabee for the Republican side, I may vote for her.

December 14, 2007 at 9:54 a.m.