Comments

• Ernie and sandwichh just ignored the fact that Hillary nor McCain wear a flag pin.
    And does the fact that McCain's wife is a Coor's heir ,make her an elitist?
    I really like the way Obama just brushed last night's debate off his  jacket collar...LOL

April 18, 2008 at 3:32 p.m.

• Do you think if Barack Obama had left his seriously ill wife after having had multiple affairs, had been a member of the “Keating Five” had had a relationship with a much younger lobbyist that his staff felt the need to try and block, had intervened on behalf of the client of said young lobbyist with a federal agency, had denounced then embraced Jerry Falwell, had denounced then embraced the Bush tax cuts, had confused Shiite with Sunni, had confused Al Qaeda in Iraq with the Mahdi Army, had actively sought the endorsement and appeared on stage with a man who denounced the Catholic Church as a whore, and stated that he knwe next to nothing about economics— do you think it’s possible that Obama would have been treated differently by the media than John McCain has been?  Possible?
    And — this is fun to contemplate — if Michelle Obama had been an adultress, drug addict thief with a penchant for plagiarism— do you think that she would be subject to slightly different treatment from the media than Cindy McCain has been?

April 18, 2008 at 2:55 p.m.

• Hello Sandwichh
    My first question to you. Did you watch the debate? If you did not then you have no idea what I am talking about.
    The ABC debate had over 10 million viewers, which surpasses any other debate.
    They tuned in to hear substantive questions, but the left disappointed. I have not complained about the other 20 plus debates, because the moderators were not an issue.

Your hypothetical does not make sense. David Duke would not get out of the first round.

The bottom line is, he legitimately beat the likes of Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, Bill Richardson, and John Edwards, so he is the legitimate Democratic nominee.

April 18, 2008 at 11:14 a.m.

• Hello Ernie
    The Democratic Party has not taken a stance on the flag pin. Neither has the Republican Party. Many veterans in the Democratic Party  served their country proudly, but do not wear a flag pin. I would go as far to say that over 95% of Americans do not wear a flag pin. It's a silly issue and ranks about 105 all the important issues of this country.
    Unless you can go back to Michelle Obama life and see if she was subjected to racism and discrimination I don't really see how you can judge her with a snippet of one statement. One half of Americans fought to end the practice of slavery. However what you forget Bull Conner fire hoses and billy clubs, segregation, and Jim Crow tactics were worse than slavery. That did not end until the 1960s civil rights legislation. She might have been talking about a good senatorial candidate like Harold Ford Jr. losing a race simply because he was black. Iowa (95% white) voted overwhelmingly for Barack Obama, perhaps she finally felt vindication. Perhaps she saw Deval Patrick become the first black governor of Massachsetts.It's easy to speculate.
    I am off the hook, by whom, and why should I care? I have given my reasons throughout this blog. It is a non issue for me.
    I think just about every living, breathing citizen is a proud American and they do not have show proof at the gate. That's the main reason I am for Obama because all this labeling and old way of politics has to stop. This country is about everyone's belief and dreams and not about packaging.

April 18, 2008 at 10:40 a.m.

• Obviously I wouldn't make it a capital offense not to wear a flag pin at every appearance but Obama wore the pin given him by a disabled veteran for one day then took it off.The matter of the lapel pin may be of little concern to you, Mike, and more generally, to the Democratic party but when taken in context with a few other facts, it bothers me.
    Michelle Obama's statement that she's only just now proud to be an American.  Why? Must there be something in it for the Obama's before they have pride in their country? Why was she not proud that Americans fought and died to end the abhorent practice of slavery? Why was she not proud that Americans defeated Hitler's holocaust and genocide? Why no pride for the American Constitution that created a government that fostered a nation and a system that has been the envy of almost every other country on the planet for the better part of the last two hundred years? Was there no pride in the Supreme Court deciding Brown v Board of Education that began the long journey in this country to end segregation and discrimination?
    And of course there's Obama's love for his America-hating, America-damning, racist preacher. (I would have chosen "hatemongering" but I think the liberals have a copyright on that one and I don't know which one to pay the royalty to.) He listened to those sermons for twenty years and as far as I know, never asked Wright to tone it down some either in deference to his "reverence for America" nor for the sake of his two young impressionable daughters. And don't even think of saying he wasn't in the pew for that sermon. The man led the church for nearly three decades with Obama in the stands for two of them. He heard plenty at some point I'm sure.
    Finally there is the lingering question of "Why?" Why not wear a flag pin? Just give me one single plausible reason and you're off the hook. Because it was made in China. I could buy that. Even "I'm allergic to cloissonne or lead paint" But give me something to hang my hat on here.
    I have a couple of hats with the flag on them. I have a shirt or two with flags sewn on. I have a flag I fly on holidays and yes, I have a flag lapel pin that I wear on appropriate occasions.  I don't wear one of the every  day but I certainly don't avoid wearing them either. When the Star Bangled Banner plays, I stand up. When the flag passes in a parade, I remove my hat and  I salute it with my hand over my heart. I've probably been guilty of breaking some of the formal rules regarding the flag but only inadvertently because while I don't usually stand on a lot of ceremony, there are some things that are sacrosanct. The flag stands for fifty states that have hung together for 230 years; for the system of government that created and sustains them; for the freedoms we enjoy that are only dreams in many places and countries around the world. And mostly it stands for the men and women who founded this country, who have led it all those years and especially for all of  those who put their lives on the line and often paid the ultimate sacrifice to insure tis freedoms, rights and responsibilities.
    And if Obama can't hang with that I don't believe he has the requisite patriotism and respect, for the country that allowed and even aided him to get where he is today, to become its leader.
    Ernie

April 17, 2008 at 6:44 p.m.

• Barrack Hussein Obama got just what the Republicans, and Hillary got. Hard questions with the gloves taken off.
    As I have said before, this Obama guy cannot operate well without a teleprompter in front of him. Because he is just a poster boy. What's being found out about him is not pretty. We need to see this guy for who he is. And a successful wife who took advantage of all she got the opportunity to do and is just now proud of America, good grief.
    Now you know if McCain had hung around a militia leader or the head of the KKK he would have been swormed on so much and run out of town on a rail. Hillary and Obama have much, much, much baggage. With a thorough belief in raising spending and taxes.
    Bottom line, he is a freshman trying to do doctorate work. The very least he could do, the very least in a time of soldiers doing the work is to at least wear a flag pin if he wants to be commander in chief.  I mean come on. I know it is tiring to hear about it but couldn't he have figured that out when he was starting to run?
    Not brilliant, but good debate running.

April 17, 2008 at 6:06 p.m.

• I remember Dan Abrams catching Jack Kingston (R-GA) not wearing one ,but condemning Obama for not wearing one.
    I ask the question. Want some who will wear the flag pin ,and not sign the new G.I. Bill?
    How about wearing the flag pin and keeping our troops in a country that does not want to defend themselves or pay for the Iraq war?
    Look  for substance rather than symbols.

April 17, 2008 at 5:26 p.m.

• I tuned in last night to hopefully watch a hearty debate, but I quickly found out why ABC is run by Disney.  I have seen wasted air time before, but this beats all.
    I'm really tired of the flag lapel pin thing. How many of these flag draped "patriots" were wearing flag pins before 9/11.  Probabaly not many.  And by the way, are these pins made in China and has anyone checked the paint for lead?

April 17, 2008 at 5:14 p.m.

• This what Tom Shales of the Washington Post had to say about last night's debate.

By Tom Shales
    Thursday, April 17, 2008; Page C01

When Barack Obama met Hillary Clinton for another televised Democratic candidates' debate last night, it was more than a step forward in the 2008 presidential election. It was another step downward for network news -- in particular ABC News, which hosted the debate from Philadelphia and whose usually dependable anchors, Charlie Gibson and George Stephanopoulos, turned in shoddy, despicable performances.

April 17, 2008 at 4:18 p.m.

• I never said it was only acceptable to ask questions that the candidates prepared for.

You misstated Obama's position,Ernie he distinctly said, the capital gains rate would go back to the Clinton’s 20%.
    ADAM CLYMER
    Published: July 29, 1997

Congressional Republicans and the Clinton Administration agreed tonight on how to balance the budget for the first time in nearly three decades and on the first major tax cuts since 1981.
    Congress is likely to approve the plan this week. Among its highlights are a $500-per-child tax credit, significant cuts in capital gains and inheritance taxes, $1,500 scholarships for each of the first two years of college for middle-income students and $24 billion for children's health care.

Since,McCain is a one trick pony(Foreign policy) Iraq will always be at the forefront. despite what the American people think the most important issues are. Candidates like to go to their strength.

I am or well aware of the time constraints of two hours, but I emphasized the first 50 minutes, because it frustrated Mr. Obama for the rest of the debate.

Although I don't condone people wearing a flag pin, I do condone the superficial reasons given to a person,that does not wear one. Mr. Obama clearly stated he would work on veterans rights and withdrawing our troops from the war of choice. Mr.Obama has answered the flag pin question many times in the past ,and did wear one a couple of days ago when a disabled veteran gave him one. The flag is sewn onto the military uniform. As a pundit said last night, the superficial people pointing this out, will never vote for Barack Obama. I admired John McCain and Rudy Giuliani, when they refused to sign the “no new taxes pledge." saying it was an irreverent piece of paper, use their voting record.

Since I'm not the cheerleader type myself, I can understand why man does not give into symbolism.
     BTW Hillary nor McCain wear a flag pin.
    McCain does not need to prove his patriotism.

April 17, 2008 at 3:26 p.m.

• Hmmmm... so it's only acceptable to ask questions for which the candidates have previously prepared canned non-answers?
    I seem to recall one question regarding the economy regarding Obama's intention to raise the capital gains tax rate back to 1980 levels of 28%. As you may recall from the Gospel according to Poll Data, the economy has become the #1 issue on Americans' minds in this election year eclipsing even the Iraqi conflict. Seems like a relevant question to me.
    I also seem to recall Obama stumbling all around the fact that MORE tax revenue has been realized since the CG tax rate was lowered.   Ooopsie. Perhaps he's not as astute about the real issues as you might have anticipated.
    As far as your argument goes, I suppose their are relevant issues that didn't get covered in the debate as you suggest. Time is limited though so it's not unreasonable to assume some things were going to be left on the table unfortunately. Still though, I don't see irrelevance of concerns that Obama isn't as American as he would like us t believe. When asked the question about the flag and lapel pin he stated, "I revere the American flag." but went on to evade any specific response as to why he refuses to display it on his person. Our law enforcement personnel, members of congress, White House staff, military members display our flag as part and parcel of their daily dress and millions of Americans across the country wear or display the flag every day.
    So yes, it concerns me that a man who wants to be president of the US won't display its symbol on his person. It concerns me even more that he seems to avoid any direct and honest answer as to why not.
    It bothers me that the man who would be captain won't wear the school jersey on game day.
    Ernie

April 17, 2008 at 2:53 p.m.