Comments

• You make some good points Wrood, and you might be right.
    On your first point.
    If he would have taken his first choice, Governor Tim Kaine of Virginia, it would have been risky, and perhaps devastating if the Georgia- Russia were to flare up again, perception is everything in politics. Joe Biden is second to no one, when it comes to foreign policy. Joe Biden will appeal to the Pennsylvania and Rust Belt area voters. (unions).
    Second point
    It is my opinion, if you're voting on the issues look at the Republican or Democratic platforms. Like it or not, the Democrats have a liberal base, and the Republicans have a social conservative base. The vice president has less power than the speaker of the house on issues.
    BigJ
    I apologize if I mischaracterized you, but that is still my opinion. I never said you were stabbing Obama in the back, in fact, I think you are a strong supporter of his. I cannot tell you what SouthTexas or Bundy thinks because I rarely read their posts.
    Colin Powell is advising John McCain and Obama, and his office flat-out stated that he would not be attending either convention. His endorsement will come after both conventions and he said it will be based on the VP pick. The Obama camp is concentrating on the Midwest with states like Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico so Sam Nunn might bring in some southern states, but they went a different direction. Joe Biden is strong on foreign policy and domestic issues, not so with Powell or Nunn. Like I said Chet Edwards is a nobody, he would not have any effect nor would it make McCain spend money in Texas. McCain is concentrating on Ohio and Michigan.
    The Democratic Party has a limited amount of money, so they're not wasting it, in Texas and the Republicans are doing the same in New York or California. Rick Perry only got 40%in the reddest of red states and the Democrats did not put a serious challenger against him. That will change, but it will take some time.. Look at the districts, they are gerrymandered so much that a Democrat does not stand a chance.. A brilliant piece of work by Tom DeLay.
    The Democrats are ahead nationwide in the congressional races by 15%, so I'm not worried about the national strategy.
    Several people get critics from both sides, and most of them are Ron Paulites.
    Hillary Clinton lost about four months ago, when the super delegates knew they were going to be for Obama. I do agree Bill Clinton's cost Hilary a lot.

August 25, 2008 at 9:54 a.m.

• As I see it, this pick may come back to bite Obama in two ways:

It is an admission that he is not experienced enough; that he needs a 30-year veteran on the ticket.  I would have expected someone as smart as Obama to not give an inch to that argument.
    It is a thumb on the nose to any moderate - to conservative voter who actually votes the issues, rather than emotion or personality.  Biden is at least as liberal as Obama.  This is the most liberal ticket the Democrats have put up in decades.

August 24, 2008 at 9:43 p.m.

• Sandwichh
    Nice avatar (funny)..... I did not mean to link Joe Biden with Jefferson.... Just stated the facts.... His constituents chose him to be a United States senator at age 29.
    Riverboat
    You weren't impressed with Hagel?...Yes,it  is perfectly acceptable to set your criteria when voting for a candidate of your choice,but I took Toni Anne statement to be a holier than thou (true Catholic) statement..This is why I don't like the religion test...A man may be pro-life and lie this country into a war, a person may be pro-life and ignore the needs of the poor etc....That's what I meant..Who sets the standards?Single issue voters are always going to be allowed to vote,but it is not up to a mere mortal to judge my moral convictions....I think cafeteria Catholics should not be judging.
    swbones
    I knew your post did not come up from an e-mail...... I was referring to similar talking points being mailed out by the RNC...BigJ is very similar to your line of thinking.... the blue dolled Democrats he keeps referring to are really just Libertarians packaged to be either Republicans or Democrats.
    ragman
    I kinda agree,somewat,maybe....
    Vet
    McPOW ,your killing me...lol
    BigJ
    (1)  Webb,Nunn, and Powell did not want to be VP.
    (2), Chet Edwards? Are you kidding me,Obama would have been laughed and mocked by both parties...Chet Edwards has been in the House 18 years. Can you name any meaningful legislation he has come up with?
    (3) In order for Hillary to even be considered, Bill Clinton would have to turn over his Library donor list.... That was not gonna happen.....Barack Obama did not want Bill Clinton hanging around the White House for four years.

******* The Republicans are just trying to stir up the pot with an ad showing Hillary Clinton being mistreated by the Obama camp because she was not vetted for VP...Bill Kristol was laughing as he admitted that this morning on Fox news Sunday with Chris Wallace.

August 24, 2008 at 5:01 p.m.

• Mike you provide me more comedy pleasure than the comedy channel.....I truly do love you.

Biden has got to be the worse VP choice possible.  Obama doesn't stand a chance now.

Why has Biden never been a serious Presidential Candidate for the Democratic party.....the Democrats won't admit it but because he is a loose cannon and has been an embarrassment on many occasions.  Biden is admired for his family values, his dedication to his family and the tragedy he is endured and is admired for, so he is often given a pass when he totally blows it.

Biden has a habit of spouting out inappropriate remarks, lying blatantly and being caught at it more times than you can count and his general "not so smooth" demeanor.  As far as his speaking abilities....OMG.  Don't any of you remember the Biden clip that went around the internet, where he totally lost it and sounded like a psychotic mad man....cackling and shouting and waving his fist.  Embarrassment....total embarrassment!

Thanks Obama....for the hopeless VP choice.

August 24, 2008 at 11:40 a.m.

• Justin,
    Like I have said before, you have potential young man.
    Mike,
    That did not come from an email.  smiling...

August 23, 2008 at 11:46 p.m.

• Biden was a good choice. I am happy with it.  Now let's see who McBush picks. That will be interesting. It seems as though you would have to go back many years to find an election where the VP was picked so close to the conventions.
    Many people keep saying there is no choice this time, both suck.  But to be honest. I won't really have a problem with either candidate getting elected.  I just know it won't be the Presidunce in the White House now. Compared to him anything looks good.
    01/20/08

August 23, 2008 at 7:45 p.m.

• Spoken like a true yellow dog there Mike.
    And one thing is for certain. I did not know him but Biden is no Thomas Jefferson. In fact, very far from Jefferson.

August 23, 2008 at 6:02 p.m.

• Almost as good as McPOW endorsing a spot featuring Paris Hilton, huh?

August 23, 2008 at 3 p.m.

• From Republican Chuck Hagel

"Joe Biden is the right partner for Barack Obama. His many years of distinguished service to America, his seasoned judgment and his vast experience in foreign policy and national security will match up well with the unique challenges of the 21st Century. An Obama-Biden ticket is a very impressive and strong team. Biden's selection is good news for Obama and America."

Next will come an endorsement from Colin Powell...IMO

August 23, 2008 at 1:47 p.m.

• That's been out over 20 years swbones and everyone knew the GOP would send out their emails, but I really don't think it will make much differance......The democrats still have the Keating 5 card and if Mitt Romney is selected they will use his comments about McCain to make an ad featuring all his flip flops......In fact the GOP latest ad is using the comments Joe Biden said about Barack obama not ready to lead in an ad last night..That will be more effective....As I said the Dem's will counter if Romney is selected....These things are predicable
    I thought Joe Biden won nearly all the Democratic  debates and I said so in a blog ,but he was caught up in the historic run of Barack Obama & Hillary Clinton....You see you will vote GOP and I will vote for the Democrat...It's those Independents that will decide this election and they will vote on the economic  issues not the social issues....IMO the Independents won't care about Keating 5.flip flops or plagiarism 20 years go by a VP,or Rev. Wright.
    BTW Hannity was putting out that info last week anticipating Joe Biden would be the VP pick.

August 23, 2008 at noon

• Well,
    I see we have another "True" politician in the mix.  Good socialist who cannot remember the truth about his education.  man, the Dems sure have a pair now???? So much for Obama's platform of change..
    30 year career Senator. How much more Same Old Washington can you get?  Change????  Keep it up folks.. Those of you who are buying the Obama's load of B.S. He doesn't want change he wants to be President.
    Found this on the net.
    "Joe Biden's various false boasts about his academic background back in 1988 -- it's the journalistic equivalent of "The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy nor Roman nor an empire":
    Most of Mr. Biden's statement was in response to a report in this week's issue of Newsweek magazine on a tape recording made by the C-SPAN network of an appearance by Mr. Biden at a home in Claremont, N.H., on April 3. It was a typical coffee-klatch style appearance before a small group. The network regularly records and broadcasts such events as part of its coverage of the Presidential campaign.
    The tape, which was made available by C-SPAN in response to a reporter's request, showed a testy exchange in response to a question about his law school record from a man identified only as ''Frank.'' Mr. Biden looked at his questioner and said: ''I think I have a much higher I.Q. than you do.''
    He then went on to say that he ''went to law school on a full academic scholarship - the only one in my class to have a full academic scholarship,'' Mr. Biden said. He also said that he ''ended up in the top half'' of his class and won a prize in an international moot court competition. In college, Mr. Biden said in the appearance, he was ''the outstanding student in the political science department'' and ''graduated with three degrees from college.''
    In his statement today, Mr. Biden, who attended the Syracuse College of Law and graduated 76th in a class of 85, acknowledged: ''I did not graduate in the top half of my class at law school and my recollection of this was inaccurate.''
    As for receiving three degrees, Mr. Biden said: ''I graduated from the University of Delaware with a double major in history and political science. My reference to degrees at the Claremont event was intended to refer to these majors - I said 'three' and should have said 'two.' '' Mr. Biden received a single B.A. in history and political science.
    ''With regard to my being the outstanding student in the political science department,'' the statement went on. ''My name was put up for that award by David Ingersoll, who is still at the University of Delaware.''
    In the Sunday interview, Mr. Biden said of his claim that he went to school on full academic scholarship: ''My recollection is - and I'd have to confirm this - but I don't recall paying any money to go to law school.'' Newsweek said Mr. Biden had gone to Syracuse ''on half scholarship based on financial need.''
    In his statement today, Mr. Biden did not directly dispute this, but said he received a scholarship from the Syracuse University College of Law ''based in part on academics'' as well as a grant from the Higher Education Scholarship Fund of the state of Delaware. He said the law school ''arranged for my first year's room and board by placing me as an assistant resident adviser in the undergraduate school.''
    As for the moot court competition, Mr. Biden said he had won such a competition, with a partner, in Kingston, Ontario, on Dec. 12, 1967. "

August 23, 2008 at 11:48 a.m.

• What's to know ,he has been in politics for over 30 years....Like everyone ,he has his pros & cons but IMO  his pros outwiegh his cons.

August 23, 2008 at 11:15 a.m.

• I am sure we will learn more about Joe now that he is running in a National Campaign.
    Positive or negative, there will be more.

August 23, 2008 at 11:11 a.m.