Comments

• That true is if think the remaining three canidates are evils.
    I do not.

February 12, 2008 at 4:20 p.m.

• Shame on you maryann.....lol
    The born alive infants act was signed into law on March 12, 2002 by President George W. Bush.
    Barack Obama Was not in office in 2002.

February 5, 2008 at 1:35 p.m.

• Bill Maher may come off as leftist, and I can understand that. However he continues to refer to himself as a Libertarian.  He does have a huge range in guest on his show.  You are right Rush is an entertainer, but he needs new writers! Those ditto--heads though think he is the resurrection!!!

February 3, 2008 at 10:35 p.m.

• Ragman: Bill Maher is an entertainer and a leftist. Just as Rush is an entertainer and a right winger. My point is that neither has any creditbility beyond getting attention to himself and thereby getting ratings. I have heard Rush stated this several times, although not lately since I don't listen to his bombastic self anymore.
    You can no more use Rush as a source, than you can Maher.  The originator of this board does not understand the difference between journalism and entertainment. Sadly, he is not alone.
    I don't disagree with your assetment of Bush, Jr., but perhaps for different reasons. The reason for his fall in the polls is that he abandoned his supporters with his policies regarding social spending, growth of the federal powers over individuals, and Iraq. His base of supporter have left him, just as he left them. The exact same thing that caused Bush, Sr. to go from high to low ratings after the first Gulf War for the same reason. Apparently Junior did not learn his history very well.
    I do give Bush credit for his leadership immediately after 9/11, and his economic package which kept us from falling into a deep recession in the late 2001 and early 2002. Given his meager resume, I was surprised and impressed with his actions then. Since then, it has been a series of disapointments.
    One thing the last few presidencys has done is strengthen my faith in the CITIZENS of the UNITED STATES. If we survived and even prospered the last 20 years, we can whip anything. Despite the government, not because of it.

February 3, 2008 at 9:35 p.m.

• Hello Mike,  Yep, long time no see. I took a really long vacation from posting much over the Christmas holiday.
    Good question about Mitt Romney. Do I think he is sincere....?  Man, I hope he is, but I'm not certain. In an odd way, I do think that he was smart enough to realize that if he was going to go national with his politics and be in the Republican Party, he would have to switch to pro-life.  Rudy just couldn't figure it out, or didn't care to change.
    As far as the Democratic debates, abortion might not have come up, but in rhetorica and comments, Hillary and Obama have been quoted as mentioning their solid support and records for abortion to attract  certain voters.

February 3, 2008 at 9:24 p.m.

• No she didn't & thanks for correcting me on her name : )  I translated it myself!!!  The levees were questionable under many many presidents who kept putting off their repair due to costs & it wasn't an issue in their time.  I think blaming Bush for Katrina is a stretch as there are plenty of other things he can be blamed for.

February 3, 2008 at 8:24 p.m.

• Bill Maher is  a libertarian and a comedian.  I don't think he is a journalist, nor does he think he is.  However he does have an array of guest from every walk--right , left and middle.  You are being way to tough on Mike. I find his post to be well thought out and researched. And believe it or not we don't always agree. But we do it in a respectful manner. That's just my opinion--I could be wrong.
    I thought  Governor  Blanco had ask Bush before Katrina made land fall to declare the area a disaster area; which would have made the Federal Government in charge of evacuation. Just a question.  I don't hate Bush, but I do believe he is a snotty, smirking, empty suited frat boy, who has no business in the White House or any leadership position.
    The corps of engineers were responsible for the levies and were remiss in taking care of them--Feds.
    This whole argument reminds me of years ago. There was a problem in the schools, and local people didn't believe they were getting help from the school board.  So a bunch of people went to the state to get help. We were told--you people always want "local control" and when things aren't going your way, you come to the state. Hey, this is a local problem--handle it yourself.  Then we had consolidation.
    And I guess there is no Born Alive Infants Act.  Nor any Democrats who switched there stance on abortion to get elected. Hmmm.

February 3, 2008 at 8:10 p.m.

• Actually, the saying is "the lesser of two evils".

February 3, 2008 at 7:21 p.m.

• And citing "news" sources from the Bill Maher passes for journalism for the left.
    Anyone who ever cited Rush or Hannity would be rapidly attacked as an "extremist" by Donkey Mike.
    And Mike, the poster you claim I attacked deleted her initial post, then attacked me. She offered the comment that the Federal government should come up with "programs" in order to purchase homes in better class subdivisions through subsidizing their down payments. I'm certain you would support such tax-payer sponsored bill yourself.
    As Mike said "it is useless to argue with a blind loyalist".  Funny thing is, the Democrats got GWB elected both times. By running such weak candidates, they gave the US voters very little choice. And they look to be repeating history with the two front runners this time around as well.

February 3, 2008 at 7:16 p.m.

• FEMA was given an F & I'm sure it was given to appease the howling masses.  Everyone Bitched & moaned when he did show up saying that he was adding to the problems, y'all can't have it both ways.  White & Nagen should have had ample supplies for their residents since they didn't offer them an alternative to staying.   Most of the people who stayed, died & suffered had no choice as they had no transportation OUT.  White & Nagen knew this, we did not until after the fact.  I am no longer going to beat this dead horse with you as you will never agree with 1 thing I say.

February 3, 2008 at 6:49 p.m.

• Mike: I only seek to reveal you as the most biased posters on this website, for those who have not seen your regular left-wing comments and suggestions. For you to condenm others as fanatics is laughable.

February 3, 2008 at 4:34 p.m.

• Bighorn
    I am not the one that has a problem....... hurling insulting comments at at female poster (without cause)says a lot about your character so I am not worried how you evaluate me.  You're just another right-wing fanatic.
    "Government is the problem not the solution" is that the only slogan that you have?

February 3, 2008 at 4:06 p.m.

• For once I agree with Mike. "It is useless to argue with a blind loyalist".  Nice of you to finally accept your failings. Remember, "admitting you have a problem is the first step towards beating that problem".
    Government is the problem, not the solution.

February 3, 2008 at 1:58 p.m.

• NO ONE BROUGHT UP THE SUBJECT  of troops.Not even talking about rescue efforts.
    Talking about ice & food from FEMA. People were stranded on bridges pleading for help on live TV and Michael Brown was in Baton Rouge. ................Instead of GOP talking points go back and read the FEDERAL KATRINA COMMITTEE reports
    President could have made a humanitarian visit on the way to Washington not four days later . Usually a president presence speeds up FEMA and other Federal departments.
    It was not liberals ,that gave the Bush administration an F

February 3, 2008 at 1:29 p.m.

• Once again Mike I am going to say the Federal Government cannot intervene on a States behalf unless specifically asked by the State, White did not request help until it was too late.  I of course know that you will blame Bush for it as both White & Nagen are flaming Liberals.

February 3, 2008 at 1:18 p.m.

• It's all about priorities....Fund raiser or prepare for Katrina?
    It's useless to argue with a blind loyalist.......Gov. Blanco already paid her price,she was not re-elected.
    Incompetence =had to be shown a DVD before responding.
    Hindsight is 20/20 is just a saying ,but leadership qualities come out during a crisis.......Bush's lack of showed up.
    Were the Levy's destined to crumble during a Cat. 5 hurricane? Yes. But my paragraph relates to how our government responded.
    Poorly,by all standards. Way too much Hannity & O'Reilly because it's just their audience that give the administration a pass.
    I am finished with Katrina because that was just one issue.

February 3, 2008 at 12:23 p.m.

• And I am going to respond by saying that Katherine White & Ray Nagen should have had their residents better prepared for a category 5 hurricane.  What should have Bush done before the hurricane even hit?  Hind site is 20/20.  I am sure everyone wishes things were done differently.  It was a natural disaster & everyone knew if a category 5 hurricane hit N.O. they were going to be underwater.  That has been common knowledge for decades so you can't blame Bush for that.  Since it was common knowledge one would think White & Nagen would have been more proactive.  They are the only ones to blame.

February 3, 2008 at 12:10 p.m.

• Good answer Riverboat. I was just curious as to what pro-lifers thought about that Romney’s late conversion.
    I wrote the last paragraph to explain the issues I had with George W. Bush.
    I never exonerated, local and state government.
    The significant issues I have with George W. Bush, and his administration over Katrina.
    1. Prior to a category five hurricane headed to one of our major cities. The president chose to go to a birthday party in San Diego.
    2. After the hurricane, the president flew from his vacation home in Crawford Texas. straight to Washington. He could have stopped in New Orleans, just to see if there was anything he could do, to expedite the FEMA resources, which is just human compassion and leadership qualities.
    3. The President had to be shown a DVD of the devastation in New Orleans before he decided to respond. He showed up about four days after Katrina.
    4. The Katrina investigative committee (made of only Republicans) gave the Bush administration an "F "for their efforts during hurricane Katrina.
    5. The president appointed Michael Brown to the head of FEMA. Shall I say more?

February 3, 2008 at 11:48 a.m.

• How can you blame Katrina on Bush or the Federal Government?  It is up to the state Government to handle situations such as that one.  If I am not mistaken Governor White was high & dry in Baton Rouge & Mayor Nagen was Lord knows where doing Lord knows what.  They continue to have a huge homeless population & violent crime is again out of control.  Nagen is doing nothing to curb either issue.  He & White should have had mandatory evacuations especially since the majority of their population had no form of transportation.  The Federal Government & the President cannot intervene unless asked & the Governor did not request help until it was too late.  Shame on Catherine White & Ray Nagen.

February 2, 2008 at 11:14 p.m.

• Hello mary ann, long time
    I don't know anything about the Born Alive Infants Act. Is this a federal bill?
    I will research the bill tomorrow . It seems horrible.
    Abortion has not come up at all in the Democratic debates.
    Question? Mitt Romney recently become pro-life. Is he sincere?

February 2, 2008 at 10:47 p.m.

• IMO, the lesser of two evils would be having to choose between two pro-abortion politicians, such as Barack Obama and Rudy Guliani.
    I know it won't come to this since Guliani is out, but it could have been one scenario. Then I would have to pick between Obama, whose vote on the Born Alive Infants Act would have allowed babies born alive during an abortion to perish with no care, versus Rudy Guliani, whose serial marriages make me wonder about his character, not to mention his record on abortion.

February 2, 2008 at 9:35 p.m.