Comments

• Yes,Vet it all rolls down hill...The president signed for extensions of unemployment insurance but the Feds won't fund the whole amount..The states they will raise the employers rate..Guess what that does?
    All that drill,baby,drill has come to a halt...Refineries are losing money at the current gas prices,they are living off last quarters profits and high diesel prices...Look for the prices to go up in two months.
    Yea,someone said it was pretty funny for the CEO's to be getting out of the private jets with their tin cups asking for a handout.

November 21, 2008 at 6:43 p.m.

• Huge difference, Mike. I'd support American Companies and American Workers by buying a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge. Hybrid, or biped.
    You voted with your dollars. Your right. But you are wrong to do it.
    Obviously, you could care less. You'd rather send my tax dollars to Washington and let them donate, loan, or stimulate.
    Did you cash your stimulus check? Gonna send in a little extra on April 15th since your man Obama can spend it better than you? Thought not.
    I understand what you type, Mike. I'm just not buying your BS. From either side of your face.
    Talk about "I got mine, now you get yours" mentality. Read your post over again and cite your work ethic/history as witness to THAT exact frame of mind.
    Have a wonderful evening

November 20, 2008 at 7:33 p.m.

• I have mixed emotions about this bailout/loan thing going on.  I guess what bothers me is that if the Big 3 fades away,  we will have a tinkle...er...trickle down effect all the way down here.  Our local chemical companies will be hurt because they supply intermediates to make plastic and carpet.  On the other hand, if they fail, will they be able to restructure without laying people off?  Why can't they all merge and become the Big Uno?  I've also heard that China is interested in buying the companies.  So we're still worried about Muslims??
    I know the CEOs flew to Washington in private planes  So why didn't they "plane-pool"?  They all come from Detroit, don't they?   I would've laughed if one of the execs would've asked the congresscritters who among them has used those very same planes and who got kickbacks from the car companies.
    Oh, and lest I forget, I understand we will be borrowing $300B from oil producing states to help with our current problem.

November 20, 2008 at 5:14 p.m.

• Great points Vet,I am not surprised.
    It's those same people that want good highways and bridges....Everyone wants lower taxes but pragmatic people like Bill Gates believes in the progressive tax system because he believes that he benefited because of the  the bridges,highways, and resources of this country.....I owned an American pickup (Dodge Dakota) loved the feel and ride but when I retired I acquired a different interest,nothing cynical,UN-American, or hypocritical about that.....I helped pay the Toyota dealership wages,suppliers, and kept the money  in circulation....The social conservatives have this "let them eat cake attitude" but when unemployment hits 8% and the Big Three go down,suppliers(since it takes about 6,000-14,000 parts to make a car) would come to a halt,it will eventually hit home.

November 20, 2008 at 11:42 a.m.

• Someone please tell me, what the **** is "American made" besides babies anymore?  Look under the hood of your vehicles and see where the parts are made, Canada, Mexico, etc.  Walk through your house, see where your TV, DVD player or even clothes are made. We even import Kobe beef from Japan, fruit from Central America, Mexico, etc.
    I have a solution for people who think they shouldn't pay taxes: don't pay taxes, but sign a waiver that says they will not receive Medicaid, Medicare, SS, etc. in later years.

November 20, 2008 at 10:21 a.m.

• Swbones
    Unlike you I don’t presume to speak for others, I let the sales report do the talking. Our Big Three vehicles are not selling Toyota’s and Honda’s are..I live by “live and let live.”
    The auto industry came to the government, not the other way around. Your message should go to the automakers.
    Washington is no different from the rest of world..We have a world financial crisis because of the domino effect…We are a large consumer, when we are in the dumps the rest of the world follows…As other countries’ governments (G20) have intervened ,ours will follow suite…You have a lot resentment for the “we the people” clause in our government…Doing nothing is not an option.

November 20, 2008 at 10 a.m.

• Bighorn
    On Wayward’s blog you said to auto bailouts by a poster who freely admits to buying a Prius some of us would call lame or would a hypocrite be a better word ,Mike?
    posted by bighorn on Aug 1, 2008 at 03:19 PM
    Drive safely...and let us all know how the Prius does on a long trip.
    I consume a vehicle about every three or four years, and maybe a hybrid is in the future.

I don’t wrap myself up in the flag and sing Yankee Doddle Dandy and pay $30,000 for an inferior product just because it is American made.
    Posted by bighorn:on Nov 13,2008 08:09 PM
    My point is....if you feel YOU aren't PAYING your SHARE, you can feel free to send in all your income, your wealth, and your childrens inheritance to the Federal Government. But, as typical, you prefer to send SOMEONE ELSE's assets to the PUBLIC WELL for REDISTRIBUTION.
    Did I "get mine" and "now you get yours". Amen, brother. But don't "take mine" to "give it to you". I support you in the same pursuits as me. Free enterprise. Personal responsibilty. "Stand on your own two feet". "The American Way.

Take your own advice and quit worrying about what I buy. I stood on my own two feet worked for 40 years and I do not owe anyone an apology for buying a well built car.

I never have said buy American,quite the opposite I live by not rewarding bad behavior.Yes,I hope the Big Three stays in business to make the car or truck the world wants.
    Your reading comprehension is lacking but if your intention is just to attack,then it fits your Modus operandi.

November 20, 2008 at 9:49 a.m.

• Check this out.

www.middletownjournal.com/o/content/o...

November 20, 2008 at 2:02 a.m.

• If someone wants to drive one of them little "Bug" cars, you know the ones that look like an egg on roller skates, then get to it.  Make sure you keep your windows rolled up, the exhaust on my "Big, carbon foot print leaving, diesel burning Dodge" is right about head high when next to one at a stop light....and I don't give a "Rats A**" about fuel mileage.  I, like many others, want a large vehicle, comfort and greater survivability in a wreck.

I do get it Mike, using tax dollars to bail all this out is expanding the FED....  keeps growing all the time...  The Government needs to stay out of business... the more they get involved the bigger the mess is...

Now the "Plan" for the bail out money is changing....  and some folks think its is a good idea to have government intervention...  Those Jerks in Washington cain't find their butt in the dark with both hands....none of them knows how to earn a profit. Well, that might be an exaggeration one or two might know how to earn an honest profit. but, then again there must be something in the air in Washington, sucks all the damn sense out of people....

November 19, 2008 at 11:59 p.m.

• I love my truck. It's right outside.

November 19, 2008 at 10:28 p.m.

• Right on, Ragman! Buy American Autos built by American companies! Save our Nation and pull our industry together.
    I've owned too many to count American Autos in the last 30+ years, and each one has better than the the previous. An F-150 with trailer towing, the biggest engine, and still gets 20-21 mpg when driven on the highway! Ask that of a Toyota Tundra! Ain't gonna happen.
    How's that Prius, Mike?
    Try an immediate $10,000 tax credit for 2008 for each American Auto Company cars sold to an individual or business. I'm two years from trading, but I'd look hard at something like. Won't you, Mr. American Businessperson?
    Would that make a Chevy look good to you, Mike? How about a Dodge?
    Offer loans in 2009, ONLY if CEO's and the boards are rolled out. Or let them go bankrupt and reorganize under the courts approval. In all fairness, if the Unions take a hit, so should the management.
    But then, some Americans prefer to buy Foreign, despite the quality of American, Union built, GREAT cars and trucks. Right, Mike?

November 19, 2008 at 8:54 p.m.

• lol, I hear that

November 19, 2008 at 6:53 p.m.

• let the abomination begin!!

November 19, 2008 at 4:40 p.m.

• Ragman
    American car makers fell behind times by continuing to make gas guzzlers;Americans left them at the dealership...SUV's and pick ups are great vehicles but when you factor in gas mileage,are you really getting your money's worth?
    I agree ,the GOP wants to break up yet another union.
    Health care payments for retiree's was absorbed by the unions...Health care benefits is a big factor in the downfall of the Big Three...We need to do something about health care...

November 19, 2008 at 2:58 p.m.

• BarryWe all have "bailout fatigue" and it might be poor business decisions but this financial mess has a domino effect.I have talked to many car salesmen in Victoria and they all tell me that pickups are hard to sell because of gas milage..I see the Tv ads making great deals to get rid of them..Other areas I don't know but I do know truck sales are down because Ford closed 4 truck assembly plants....Credit is tight for the consumer, so car sales will remain down for a while.I agree with the "No personality" in our car production.At this point I don't really care who gets credit or blame;just get this economy going again.

November 19, 2008 at 2:50 p.m.

• BUY AMERICAN.  Then we/they  wouldn't be in this predicament. Yes, they do make great automobiles.
    If this was white collar or non-union workers we were talking about; they would be tripping over themselves to give them money. Just like they did with the 700 billion dollar bail out.  What makes Wall St. fat cats better than members of the UAW and their bosses.
    The UAW doesn't design cars. They make them--very well.
    It is suppose to be a loan.

November 19, 2008 at 2:42 p.m.

• I am tired of the taxpayer having to bailout private businesses who don't have the brainpower or conviction to run a business in such a way as to make a profit.  The same threat is always there...loss of miliions of jobs.  The fact is corporations have learned that if they get big enough and employ enough people they can take huge risks knowing that Uncle Sam will come to their rescue if they get in big enough financial trouble.  No bailouts...loans maybe. This needs to stop...period.
    As far as pickups go, they will always sell.  There are more on the road today than ever before, at least in South Texas. The problem lies in that domestic car manufacturers just don't make the same high quality cars as the foreign companies do, and all domestic cars seem to look alike regardless of which company's name is on them. No personality.
    I hope the Bush administration lets this pot simmer until Obama takes over, so he can start getting the... credit...:-) he deserves.

November 19, 2008 at 2:39 p.m.

• [You don't get it.. swbones].GMC,Ford and Chrysler went to government hat in hand....Hummers ,pick ups are not selling and that is their main problem.....We are eighth in the world in the auto industry.
    It's not about Bush signing anything(but that statement is true)but the fact is ,that he is out of the loop..It's about Hank Paulson and congress.
    What's growing government got to do with it? Are you just posting words to fill the space?

November 19, 2008 at 11:19 a.m.

• The Fed needs to stay out.  The "Big Three" are companies, they need to learn how to make profits.  If Hummers are selling then good for them. Manufacture what sales and do it at a competitive price.  Might be a good step at keeping in business.

Look at the mess going on with the bailout... 700 billion and counting...  and for what???? How much more??? It is hysteria in Washington.

The Dems in the House and Senate don't have to wait, hell Bush is signing anything....  The Fed has grown more in the last 8 years than any time in my life.  So, I don't see this lame duck Congress slowing down....nothing is stopping them.

November 19, 2008 at 11:09 a.m.

• What got me was the fact that these corporate guys flew to Washington in their private jets.....you go begging and spend probably $10,000 to get to the place where you are going to beg for money.

These big corporate guys just don't get it do they it!!!

November 19, 2008 at 10:48 a.m.