Comments

• Waywardwind
    Basically, we are arguing opinions.

Ms Napolitano is in charge and using the same method that worked in her state…It is ongoing, and perhaps when she does not get the results the administration wants, she will use alternate methods…This economy is helping her get results…Many are going home. We know that because money sent home has dropped a lot.

Plea bargaining is just another tool the DHS, has and a conviction of the employer would have to be in the mix. You did say use all the tools available or did you mean the ones you want them to use?..:)

Like I said Wayward, we are arguing opinions because I think everyone is a good American unless it proven they are not….You gave a definition.

April 24, 2009 at 10:31 a.m.

• Mike...You said, regarding Napolitano: "I do think she is doing her level best and is having a tough time getting over her learning curve. "

At last we agree about something. I, too, think she's doing her best. The problem is her best is a pretty sorry example of leadership and she seems to go out of her way to poppa oscar a very large part of the population.

I do agree that employers of illegals should be hit with very large fines and, if that doesn't get the point across, the officers of the companies should become guests of the federal government at one of the many DOJ resorts. I don't agree with the DHS not conducting raids to gather up illegals and send them packing, though. Use all methods available.

"I think plea barging works and if it leads to the people that are also violating our employment laws, why not?"

I don't like the amnesty idea for testimony against employers. The federal governmnetn has the resources to conduct its own investigations without offering green cards to illegals in exchange for testimony. Such testimony would be tainted anyway. Who would believe someone who has such an incentive to lie in exchange for being able to stay in the country?

By the way, Mike...I don't have a "litmus test" as you call it for being a good American. You asked if I thought only people who thought like me were good Americans and I replied that anyone who believed in the Constitution, its requirements, limitations and guarantees was a good American. I don't see that as imposing a litmus test.

April 24, 2009 at 8 a.m.

• Mike,
    in your comments to me
    1. It does not make sense to me to approve deportion for prisoners on a promise not to return, even when convicted of drug crimes, firearms trade, thief, burgery, rape, physical assault, auto thief, and manslaughter.
    2. Sounds like you approve a pass for the illegal aliens. I have nothing against going after employers as long it is applied across the board.
    3. How about the Department of Homeland Security site itself, http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_...
    is that reputable enough for you?
    4. I have a question on your reply, What strategy, what is the goal of the strategy to improve homeland security?

You may be right about GE having a major come back, its CEO is on the President Obama advisor team. GE also have major operation plans to deal in Carbon Credits. So it may be a time for you to invest in GE stock Mike.

April 23, 2009 at 7:41 p.m.

• Don
    Crossing the northern or southern border is a federal misdemeanor and in your example Janet Napolitano is splitting hairs…I agree with her , the way to stop the influx of illegal immigrants is to close the spigot(employers)…She proved her point by imposing heavy fines on the employers…It worked, they simply moved to Texas and New Mexico..I saw that quote in a recent Heritage.org article.

Her remarks should not sound like a conservative, because she is not a conservative.

Bottom line, she not a smooth talker like Barack Obama and Bill Clinton? I do think she is doing her level best and is having a tough time getting over her learning curve. I don’t expect her to endorse a blank check amnesty plan or an open border policy like a left-wing ideologue would.

Alton
    1. I heard Michelle Malkin make the same statement and it makes good economic sense.
    2. I think plea barging works and if it leads to the people that are also violating our employment laws, why not? Unemployment is over 8.5%, why are we giving the law breaking employers a pass?
    3. Can you site a reputable site for that statement?
    4. It is her strategy and I do not see anything wrong with that.

I have vacationed in Chicago for the last couple of years and they had a Russian immigrant problem. In fact I saw several ICE raids in just one week where several Russians were picked up. The convenient stores had Russian newspapers and a lot of the store clerks had no-Spanish accents…besides who injected race into this issue?

The Homeland Security memo did not say they would demonize veterans for demonstrating, which is a wild exaggeration on your part…This country has made a full 180 since 1960s.This country is in love with the military…I see examples of that every day.

April 23, 2009 at 10:24 a.m.

• On the issue of the Homeland Security Memo. I see it in a different light.
    I see the memo as a way to demonize the veterans, so if they complain or demostrate about their poor treatment or diminished earned healthcare benefits--they will be treated by the public as right-wing extemist. Similar patten given to the Viet Nam vets, whom were demonized as baby killers and dopers.

You asked " What does Home Land Security have to do with abortion or those favoring enforcement of our immigrations (about 85% of Americans)? "
    1. Janet Napolitano wants the US to empty prisons of illegal aliens and deport them if they promise not to return (interview on CNN).
    2. Janet Napolitano has a program inwhich illegal aliens are given "green cards" in exchange for testimony against employers.
    3. Janet Napolitano has distributed 100 million dollars to organizations for food and housing without any over sight to prevent illegal aliens from getting large portion of the funds.
    4. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano has delayed new immigration raids, indicating that DHS will target employers of illegal immigrants, not their workers in a statement on March 31.
    5. Homeland Security has halted building of any additional border fence.

Maybe is just me and maybe it because we live in an area inwhich the largest group of illegal aliens come across the southern border, but to me it appears the issue is rather racist. Rarely do we hear about the illegal aliens from Asia or the Middle East or Europe or Russia. We don't see ICE raiding colleges or high tech companies to capture illegals who have over stayed their work or education visa.

April 23, 2009 at 12:33 a.m.

• Mike,

You said: “I had read a lot about Janet Napolitano and she is not a left-wing ideologue.”

“OneNewsNow reports that In an interview with CNN’s John King last week, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano asserted that illegal immigration is really not a crime.”
    She stated “What we have to do is target the real evil-doers in this business, the employers who consistently hire illegal labor, the human traffickers who are exploiting human misery.
    “And yes, when we find illegal workers, yes, appropriate action, some of which is criminal, most of that is civil, because crossing the border is not a crime per se. It is civil. But anyway, going after those as well.”
    “The fact is, crossing the border without authorization is a crime. The statute reads: “Any alien who enters or attempts to enter the United States at any time or place other than as designated by immigration officers . . . shall, for the first commission of any such offense, be fined under title 18 or imprisoned not more than 6 months, or both.”
    Her remarks hardly sound like that of a conservative, let alone the nation’s top lawyer - your take on her statement?

April 22, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.

• "No disrespect but I don’t think you that important to be on any hit list…IMO"

Mike...I think my feelings are hurt. :)

April 22, 2009 at 2:39 p.m.

• Wayward
    I don’t a litmus test for a “good American” that is way above my pay grade.

Tom Ridge (didn’t deny) running up the red and orange alerts for political gain prior to the 2004 election…I can see why some may be suspicious of the office being political.

I had read a lot about Janet Napolitano and she is not a left-wing ideologue…She could not have gotten elected in the red state of Arizona…She has a lot on her plate and monitoring fans of talk radio hosts is not at the top of her list.

That Department of Homeland Security threat assessment report initiated during the administration of George W. Bush, entitled "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment,"[19] was made public in April 2009 but talk radio and the right-wing blogs left that part out. The DHS had left-wing extremist on the list prior to the 2009 report…. A similar report from DHS also initiated under the previous administration was released in January and was entitled “Left-wing Extremists Likely to Increase Use of Cyber attacks Over the Coming Decade,” as was reported by Fox News last week. It focused mainly on the technical savvy of left-wing extremists rather than violent acts.
    No disrespect but I don’t think you that important to be on any hit list…IMO

Keys: Extremist are being looked at…This report begin prior to Jan 2009.

April 22, 2009 at 1:51 p.m.

• "Do you think you and persons that think like you are the only good Americans as Sarah Palin said on the campaign?…Did you complain when Tom Delay had the Texas division of Home Land Security run down the runaway Democrats over the Gerrymandering districts issue?"

Nope. I think that anyone regardless of political beliefs is a "good" American if he/she believes in the Constitution, its requirements, limitations on government, and its guarantees of liberty to our citizens. I did complain long and loud about Tom Delay and for many years while living in Houston before I moved here. When the topic of conversation was Tom Delay, there was much to complain about.

"Did you call Michael Chertoff Hitler because many were not allowed to board a plane because their name was incorrectly placed on a no-fly list? Or were they?"

No, I didn't call Chertoff "Hitler" because of typos. The vast majority of people on the No-Fly List are there because their name is the same as someone who was placed there for a specific reason. Once the passenger's birthdate was entered into the computer, far more than 95% of the time the person was cleared and -- Poof! -- his boarding pass was printed. Most times it happened so fast the passenger wasn't even aware that the computer had flagged him. The difference with this bunch is that they may be putting people on the list specifically BECAUSE they were exercising their rights -- displaying bumper stickers, protesting against taxes or abortion, etc. -- or were guilty of that heinous crime of honorably serving their country in the military in a combat area. That's why I called her "Hitlerette." Mike, the only thing Napolitano is sorry about is that the report became public knowlege.

Please understand that I don't KNOW that people are being placed on the No-Fly List because of this. I do know that the list exists and that DHS places people on the list and that suspicion of something is all that it takes to be listed. I also know that DHS suspects people of certain political bent and military service of being possible extremists. I just want to KNOW one way or the other IF these people are being added. If they are, this would make the Nixonian "enemies list" seem tame in contrast.

April 22, 2009 at 1:18 p.m.

• Perhaps Janet Napolitano is a direct decent of another with a similar spelling of the name and keeps her right hand in her tunic and has a hat placed crossways on her head !! She reminds me of a song of several years back with the lyrics "They're coming to take me away !! Ha ! Ha !!" He was born in Corsica and her name is spelled like she could have desended from Corsica !!

April 22, 2009 at 11:29 a.m.

• Waywardwind

This reeks of selective outrage.

I believe Janet Napolitano, Tom Ridge, Ron Paul, and Michael Cher off are all good patriotic Americans that tried to do what is best for America, even thou I disagree with some of their politics. .

The right is beginning to wear their feelings on their sleeve these days and they are awful paranoid….IMO

April 22, 2009 at 11:19 a.m.

• " Homeland Security chief Janet Napolitano said on CNN's "State of the Union" that she regrets that some people took offense over the report, but added that "a number of groups far too numerous to mention" were targeting returning veterans to carry out domestic terrorism attacks."

They may be "too numerous to mention" but I'd like to see evidence of just ONE.

Napolitano says she regrets some people took offense -- does that include the people who support Ron Paul; does that include people who want to see the immigration laws enforced and the border with Mexico tightly controlled; does that include those who believe that abortion is wrong? Or does she just regret that veterans took offense? I'm one of those in-betweeners. I support Ron Paul and a much smaller government involvement in our lives, I support the strict enforcement of immigration laws and control of the border but I believe that abortion should be legal and available to women who want one. Does that mean that I'm just sort of a threat?

Let's say a person has a Ron Paul bumper sticker or an anti-abortion bumper sticker on his car and a cop who's read the report from DHS sees the sticker and runs the license plate because of it. Does this trigger the name of an innocent citizen being placed on the No-Fly List to keep him from boarding a commercial flight? What is the procedure to clear him so he can board, or will the DHS just make him drive?

Napolitano's vicious little report has made more than just veterans mad. Millions of people who love America have disagreements of one sort or another with the government. That does'nt make them threats. This little Hitlerette believes that any disagreement makes a person an extremist who must be closely examined by law enforcement. That's not only insulting to patriots but it's simply wrong. She's making the old Nixonian "enemies list" seem down right innocuous.

April 22, 2009 at 10:48 a.m.