Comments

• The sky is falling,
    The Democrat’s and President started this with the word “CRISIS” every other sentence was just that a crisis coming from the President. This President put fear into the American people then took advantage of that fear. That alone is enough to impeach this President. What this man has done is dishonest.

The only bail-out that was needed, the banking system and that’s all. The banking system is the economic base and precursor to a stable financial system.

The unions destroyed the big 3 auto-makers. Plan and simple a company can not continue to pay enormous wages and benefits when there is no profit. Bail-out none..

The President has called the healthcare system a crisis and has tried to place fear once again into the American people, well this time the American people will not take the bait. His own party has trouble with his socialized Healthcare BILL. The American people became a little wiser to this President and where his agenda is going along with his Chicago style politics.

The U.S. Congress better wake-up, the American people are not buying what congress is trying to sell. My opinion is, history is about to be made come 2010, 2012 elections. If Cape & Trade along with Healthcare becomes law, the elected officials in congress might as well buy a one way ticket out of town, because their political careers will be over..

August 5, 2009 at 9:25 a.m.

• Mike - you said "I strongly believe that we have a education deficit and need to reform of our health care system, Social security, Medicade, Medicare and need a strong alternative energy plan."

I'll make you a deal. Before the Democrats tackle the larger health care program which comprises 1/7 of the nations economy, and if they would start by fixing current debacles like Medicaid medicare and Social Security to show that they have the competency to do such a task, then you will have my full support and I will back you 100%.

We will come together in perfect agreement as two individuals with different philosophies. But before they taxi down the runway, they might want to do a "run-up" and check the gauges. Peace Mike :)
    X

August 4, 2009 at 8:24 p.m.

• Health Care - Straight from the Trojan Horse's Mouth:

August 4, 2009 at 7:38 p.m.

• 160 amendments proposed to the health care bill, not exactly just a "NO".

"suppressing free speech at town hall meetings"? I guess the GOP has superpowers. All the town hall meetings I have noticed lately are Obamas, after all he is on the news every other day at one town hall meeting or another.

But never mind, let's just agree that change is GOOD. Throw out the baby along with the bath water, buy a new baby, tub, wash cloth, faucets and a brand spanking new house to surround it all.

All for tons of money.

August 4, 2009 at 7:04 p.m.

• "if they continue to delay consumer confidence by distorting economic policies," That statement got a snort and a snicker out of me, Mike.

Distorting economic policies - Duh, do you mean like cap and trade, a bloated federal budget, an enormous deficit and a health care program that no body wants and one we can not afford, dah you mean policies like dat Mike, do yah?

August 4, 2009 at 6:48 p.m.

• Donkey man,

I'm going to let you in on a secert clue, the American people are tired and mad, Dem's or Rep's it doesn't matter. They don't want GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTHCARE, BIG GOVERNMENT and more TAX TAX TAX TAX. If you think OB's not going to TAX you. You might re-think all that BS you write.

August 4, 2009 at 6:28 p.m.

• Xring
    What am I supposed to think?

The Republicans are a no show on health care reform, stimulus package, and just submit a collective..NO on everything..

Jim DeMint: "If we're able to stop Obama on this, it will be his Waterloo. It will break him."

Rush Limbaugh: I want Obama to fail.

The right or left does not have anything to do with jobs but if they continue to delay consumer confidence by distorting economic policies, suppressing free speech at town meetings and continuing the fear-mongering with lies, then yes, they want the economy to fail…An honest disagreement is one thing but certainly a compromise can be met without giving up principals.

The president is insisting on a bi-partisan Health Care Reform but unless the GOP comes to the table, the bill will watered-down and ineffective…Each party has to have buy in.

Divided government works best and gives us the checks and balance we need.

It does not have to be 3 ½ more years..The congressional elections and governor’s race will be in 2010…In 2005 the Democrats launched an all out effort to change the “Stay the Course” policy in Iraq..They swept the 2006 elections causing Bush to replace Rumsfeld…Several on the right said the left wanted us to lose in Iraq, so the Dems could win the election but 72% of all Americans wanted us out of Iraq.

The politics: If Obama does not pass Health Care Reform in his first year, he will suffer and so will the Democrats..If the GOP can delay it until next year when they pick up more seats ;they will be able to kill it…..The opposition party usually picks up seats in an off year election and the angry ,out of power voters will, come out in droves…1993-4 comes to mind.

On the other hand if the economy perks and Obama passes Health care and his poll numbers are in the high 50s or low 60s, the party will maintain and possibly gain.

I strongly believe that we have a education deficit and need to reform of our health care system, Social security, Medicade, Medicare and need a strong alternative energy plan…Unless The GOP and Democrats come up with a plan to do away with our “too big fail” financial system and install the reforms, this recovery will be useless because in another few years we will back in a bubble with the same old problems.

August 4, 2009 at 5:55 p.m.

• Mike said - "You see the right wants the economy to fail, so they can win an election".

Now Mike, c'mon read that again. You are stating that the right wants to suffer loss of jobs and a poor economy for 3 1/2 more years just so they can will an election 42 months away?

I thought I knew you better than that.

August 4, 2009 at 4:55 p.m.

• I am reading "1960" at this moment. I agree everyone should read it. It is a real eye opener. Presidential politics is about one thing, getting elected - no holds are barred and you can forget about adhering to any idealistic principle. These were not admirable men competing for office, they make Clinton look saintly.

But getting back to the subject - "across state line" insurance would force the states to compete to eliminate the stupid mandates and offer consumers cheaper insurance. But universal health care once implemented will be impossible to get rid of and get rid of is what the vast majority will want - except for a few socialist here and there.

So what would be the harm in trying some minor modifications to our current system to try and fix what is wrong with it. Instead we are going to take a system that 80% of the people like and throw it in the trash can and replace it with something that 80% of the people will hate - it makes no sense unless you are a socialist or worse.

August 4, 2009 at 1:25 p.m.

• I hear you BigJ but a president would elevate their status by meeting with them..That's what they want.(ratings)

The right-wingers always lose credibility when they blindly follow the insurance companies.

Those that actually follow the day –to-day debates, actually learn something about how health insurance works, instead of depending on talking points and hyperbole.

I certainly do not know everything about health insurance but I won’t resort to hyperole,talking points or lies to try and make a point…I don’t get a dime from the insurance companies or the Democratic Party.

Interstate sales of health insurance would be a great idea and it would eliminate the ones that do not offer pre-existing conditions for a while but then those companies will have all the high cost people.See, some states have a community rating which do not allow extremely high premiums or denial of preexisting conditions. This will let the companies that do not have community laws to cherry-pick the healthy people….The Company in the non-community rating state can charge a lower premium by insuring the younger healthier people and still make a handsome profit…That is the reason the health insurance are paying lobbyist $1.4 million a day…The final bill will come out the Senate Finance Committee and yes ,Max Baucus (D-MT) the health Insurance lobbyist gave Baucus's political committees nearly $1.5 million in 2007 and 2008, when he began holding hearings and making preparations for this year's reform debate.

The Health Insurance lobbyist also pays good money to the GOP to delay any kind of reform.

August 4, 2009 at 12:21 p.m.

• BigJ

I agree the Democrats need to fight back but the White House doesn’t seem concerned that groups are being sent to disrupt Democratic town hall meetings with “manufactured anger” as Press Secretary Robert Gibbs puts it…It is hard to stop a Drudge Report posting a doctored vid clip of the president saying he wants to eliminate the private insurers or the misinformation that seems to be out there…They have the Birthers,Deafers,and the Tea Party gang being bused across the nation ; supported by Dick Armey’s Health Insurance lobbyist group, Freedom Works at the tune of $1.4 billion a day; to kill any Health Care Reform bill.

August 4, 2009 at 11:35 a.m.

• Speaking of wing nuts how about Barney Frank saying health care reform will eventually lead to universal health care! I guess he's really not a wing nut just a run of the mill socialist, like you Mike.

It's not the insurance companies that hate "across state line" insurance, it's the special interest lobbyist that got the state legislators to "mandate" coverage for botox treatments, balding and other crap.

August 4, 2009 at 11:24 a.m.

• Alton
    I have already explained the “super majority “myth by saying, although they have the numbers, the current Democrats do not vote or rubber stamps like the GOP.

You are correct, the Democratic Party own the results of any legislation that is passed.

I am not concerned about the Republican Party but that doesn’t mean I have to let myth stand for fact.

I did see where the house version has a $500 billion cut across the board cut for Medicare..I also know Medicare will go bankrupt by the 2019 if congress does not come up with a plan to make it solvent…I am prepared for cuts but our private insurance will still be the worlds most expensive and continue to rise 10% a year with status quo.

I like wing nut Jim DeMint’s idea of making it possible for everyone to buy health insurance across state lines…The health insurance companies hate that more than the public option…That is a free-market idea that would eliminate several insurance companies…Several states only have two insurers for the entire state…

August 4, 2009 at 11:06 a.m.

• Coolgranny
    Your post was not offensive and I don’t doubt your theory but I was not pushing “Cash for Clunkers.”….I didn’t think it would make an impact when it was made part of the $787 billion stimulus package.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said 80% of those clunkers that were traded in were SUVs and pickups…

This “Cash for Clunkers” was intended to do three things
    1. Stimulate the economy
    2. Boost the auto industry
    3. Help reduce the carbon polluters on the road.

This is still a fragile economy, so the 250,000 vehicles that were sold can only boost the economy by depleting the auto inventories calling for more vehicles’ to be assembled and all the associated parts, salaries that go with it.

The opposition makes some valid points by saying that the government cherry-picked the auto industry and the mileage difference was not high enough but overall it seemed to satisfy two of its three goals.

A lot of people look at the crash factor when purchasing a vehicle but I don’t. Now the “electronic stability control” that came with my 2007 Toyota Prius was a selling point.

Should they inject another $2 billion?...I don’t know but I am going to listen to the senate ,debate the issue….More data is needed..

August 4, 2009 at 9:42 a.m.

• Cap and Trade is a tax on the middle class, er everyone. A tax on health care benefits is also. The increase in payroll taxes to pay for universal health care the same, except it is a tax on employment for God's sake!

And you forgot to mention along with Amtrak, Post Office, etc. the program to make "housing affordable." I'm really surprise that you failed to mention that favorite of all socialist programs. And you wonder why no one wants universal health care - go figure?

August 4, 2009 at 8:14 a.m.

• Personally, Mike I don't understand why any liberal/Democrat is so concern about the Republican Party, The Democrat Party has a super majority. They own the results of any legislation that is passed. They don't need the Republicans. If they cannot get a bill passed with these majorities, it is their own fault--not the Republicans.
    You may want to look again at the proposed healthcare plan, it is going to make some major changes to Medicare.

August 3, 2009 at 11:16 p.m.

• Mike, no offense, but have you seen some of the fuel efficient trades that are being made. 15-21 mpg-my loaded Suburban got that. Now, I once had the little wedge shaped Nissan Pulsar, and that cute little car got 40-45 mpg. The technology for better gas or greener mileage has been around a long time, but I want to walk away from a crash. My current tank still gets 22 mpg. Why should I ever trade until it quits on me?

August 3, 2009 at 7:40 p.m.