Comments

• itisi

This is what I meant when I told Kenneth that the opposition have a legitimate complaint that they should use but it would exploit them because they are the ones that agreed to it in the first place….The New York Times and the Los Angeles Times realesed this memo of an agreement between the administration and the drug companies that is not good for the consumer…I mentioned it yesterday.

White House agreed to oppose any congressional efforts to use the government's leverage to bargain for lower drug prices or import drugs from Canada -- and also agreed not to pursue Medicare rebates or shift some drugs from Medicare Part B to Medicare Part D, which would cost Big Pharma billions in reduced reimbursements.

In exchange, the Pharmaceutical Researchers and Manufacturers Association (PhRMA) agreed to cut $80 billion in projected costs to taxpayers and senior citizens over ten years. Or, as the memo says: "Commitment of up to $80 billion, but not more than $80 billion.

See I can be truthful, once in a awhile..:-)…The taxpayer will always lose to the lobbyist and big money.

August 13, 2009 at 4:36 p.m.

• Thanks, I agree.

Like I said, all of us retirees will get the short end of the stick, because there are no plans to fix Medicare. I fear long lines and having to camp out just see a doctor..

August 13, 2009 at 4:28 p.m.

• itisi
    Medicare will have to be fixed before 2013 because it will have many baby boomers into the system by then…The president said the pharmaceuticals will chip in $80 billion over the next 10 years in order to bring down prices but I think they can do better than that by allowing Medicare to buy in bulk for the same discounted price the VA gets…A person that has health insurance pays a lower price for a drug than someone on Medicare…Aetna will become my secondary provider…Then there is that monster..Medicare Part D….

Unless the public option passes,(not likely..IMO) the changes will not affect those that want to keep their insurance or on Medicare.

Medicare will go bankrupt by or before 2019, if congress does not find a way to fix it…

August 13, 2009 at 4:18 p.m.

• Mike,

I should have phrased my question on healthcare a little different. In 2013 it will go into effect if made law. How will it effect you & you’re family? What benefits you must from a new healthcare system that is untried & untested? I think us retirees will get the short end of the stick on this deal. My opinion is based on everything I have read..

August 13, 2009 at 3:58 p.m.

• Hello Suzy
    I agree because about 99% of the Republican legislators agree; we absolutely need Health Care Reform but they pretty much left it to the Democrats...GOP Chairman, Michael Steele said “you have the votes, pass anything you want.” Now, they are going to be left with a “I told you so” strategy but in the meantime they will use fear mongering tactics to kill it…They better hopes their tactics works or they will go the way of the Bull Moose and WHIG party.

August 13, 2009 at 3:41 p.m.

• itisi
    First of all I gave credit to the commentator and his employer (MSNBC) so others that are familiar with Lawrence O’Donnell’s style can read more into that sentence. Not everyone hates MSNBC...That's ok,I say the same about the anti-Obama channel ,Fox.:-)

I know it’s not only about health care..That’s the name of the blog..”Skirting the issue”…The protesters are using straw man arguments that are not in the bill.

It is pretty well documented that a depression was averted but the economy is still struggling…What is not clear is how much can we attribute it to the initial Bush bail- out ,the 20% stimulus money that has been released, the action of the Fed , or the other bail-outs.

The president has stated how his administration was going to pay for it, many times…You may not believe him, but he and his advisers have a plan…If it does not work then he will be voted out of office, along with the democrats…This mess was not started overnight nor will be fixed overnight…It’s going to take to take about three years…I’ve have said I put my money where my mouth is…I transferred my safer Money Markets funds to mutual s.

I have not, nor will I ever attend a town hall meeting…Anything can be on the agenda but unless it is an orderly meeting, nothing will come of it.

Come on, my opinion on the Health Care Reform is pretty easy to get to....Ad Nauseam,some say.

What’s my true opinion?…That’s common trait in conservatives, if I don’t agree with their opinion, I am either wrong or lying…

August 13, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

• Ha, I think it is simpler than that. They have to try and discredit anything the Dems come up with, expecially Obama, if they want a shot at winning the next election.
    What I think the real problem is...they are afraid it is gonna work. That would pretty much cut them out of the next election.

August 13, 2009 at 2:45 p.m.

• Mike ole buddy,

It’s not just about healthcare, in 6 months, bail-outs, stimulus, government own auto makers, Bills flying around congress like hurricanes. How is this mess going to be paid for? Why you continue to use MSNBC as a source of information, their like a bunch of coyote’s chasing a young calf in the middle of the night then ripen it a part.

You have your rant about the right and you’re certainly entitled to that opinion. We all have the right to protest what ever issue is at hand.

What is the purpose of a town hall in you’re opinion? What is you’re true opinion on the healthcare plan? You and I are close in age, I would like to hear that opinion..

August 13, 2009 at 2:41 p.m.

• It could be out of Pelosi's playbook but I wrote the very same thing in my other blog,yesterday...Maybe I should change it to ,"won't participate","continue to try and kill it" but I think you get the picture..:-)

Senator Grassley was one of the senators he was bragging on...The president was not aware Grassley would abandon ship.Still have two Republicans working on the senate bill.

The president would prefer a bipartisan bill but "you can only lead a horse to water."

August 13, 2009 at 2:37 p.m.

• The Republicans are a no-show on health care reform? That sounds like something straight out of Nancy Pelosi's newsletter.

Hmmm, just the other day, at a town hall, Obama was giving props to Republicans for their contributions and was looking forward to future discussions with Republicans to arrive at a better health care bill.

Was he lying?

August 13, 2009 at 2:26 p.m.