Comments

• hmm, latest ABC/Washington Post poll............

Does not agree with the health care bill....... 50%

Does agree 45%

Seems to me that all the pep rally talks are not working.

But yet the Democratic administration and congress are hell bound to push it thru, no matter what the public thinks.

August 21, 2009 at 6:59 p.m.

• It is amazing how the local right-wingers are scared the Democrats are going to insert some boogieman amendment into the Health Care Reform bill, yet in March 2009, the New York Times cited a different metric, the number of sections within bills that were challenged in signing statements:
    "Mr. Bush ... broke all records, using signing statements to challenge about 1,200 sections of bills over his eight years in office, about twice the number challenged by all previous presidents combined, according to data compiled by Christopher Kelley, a political science professor at Miami University in Ohio.

After congress passed laws;voted on by both chambers, Bush said he did not have to abide by them…,,,,Again, not a peep.

Selective paranoia?

August 20, 2009 at 4:52 p.m.

• I knew the regs, gyro. Just checking to see if anyone else knew them before we had a Wild West started here.
    I still keep in touch with some of my fellow snipers.

August 20, 2009 at 4:43 p.m.

• Yea, rumor has it that he is being forced to take some time off until "things blow over".

August 20, 2009 at 4:38 p.m.

• Vet
    Your avatar has lost about 20 sponsors in the last few days.:-)

August 20, 2009 at 4:30 p.m.

• Lol

August 20, 2009 at 4:27 p.m.

• Gee, thanks gyro. But, I've had a permit for a while. I had no problem qualifying, I still remember my sniper training paid for by taxpayers.

August 20, 2009 at 4:24 p.m.

• Gyroscope
    I read that weeks ago..Talk about splitting hairs…If you want to take the literal word of any politician, that uses about 10,000 words a day, and then make your case.

Dissect those words…”If you like your insurance, then you get to keep it.”…He cannot foretell the future and the minds of employers nationwide…Was it a conspiracy?

Then again I heard him say those exact words from 2007 on 2009 and did not give it a second thought….If that is your best case, you have a long 3 years and 4 months ahead of you…Wait ,I didn’t count the exact days, give me a few days here and there.

August 20, 2009 at 4:15 p.m.

• Vet
    We have come a long way from being arrested for wearing an “anti-Bush” tee shirt at a George W. Bush rally, protesting the “war of choice.”…AR 15s for a Health care rally?

Well, that right-wing Libertarian talk-show host that staged that Arizona event, Ernest Hancock was a supporter of the Viper Militia. Does that count?

That militia group was attested in the early 90s for the group's stockpile of unregistered submachine guns, over 500 pounds of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, an "adapter for a grenade launcher," a riot smoke grenade, dynamite, detonation cord, gas masks, body armor, a machine gun, 550-yard range rockets, and how-to manuals for grenade launchers and propellants…Now that is ready to go to war...Only trouble is,the target was United States Federal Blds.

August 20, 2009 at 4:02 p.m.

• I'm shocked, I tell you shocked. BTW, what's the color code for today?

August 20, 2009 at 3:49 p.m.

• Lol…I heard that Prime Minister Nuri Al-MALIKI just might kick us out a year before the agreed exit date..You did know that President Bush signed the Status of Forces Agreement that set the date for our departure.

I am using the 10 degree rule + the 20 degree that is allotted to the blog’s author.

In his new book, the first Homeland Security chief, Tom Ridge, accuses top aides to President George W. Bush of pressing him to raise the terror alert level to influence the 2004 presidential election.

How is that for liberties?

August 20, 2009 at 3:35 p.m.

• The only thing that has caught my attention in these town hall meetings is these people who carry weapons on them. I have one thing to say, if they want to carry weapons openly, I know it's Az's law, then join the military, you will be supplied a weapon and all the ammo you need. You can hump the streets in Iraq and Afghanistan. But be sure and carry a change in underwear. Those guys over there "carry" too.
    I haven't checked, but if Texas has an open carry law, would everyone be OK if I carried to your Little League games, churches, bars, movie theaters, football and soccer games and not have me pegged as a veteran who may have a flashback at any moment?

August 20, 2009 at 3:30 p.m.

• Mike, I was responding to gyro & wayward's comments on privacy on this blog. I though it was a rule that comments get 10 degrees away from the original topic.

But I don't really understand your disdain for this "same old message". Is it because you think I enjoy privacy or cite the Bill of Rights because "I don’t like to pay any taxes"? (I simply expect representation in exchange for my taxes.) I guess I'm one of those pesky pro-privacy extremists! That is, now that the Left is in power and has forgotten about Bush's domestic spying program.

Say, when is Obama bringing our troops home? (Yesterday wasn't soon enough.) And why isn't he halting the construction of permanent military bases or scaling down the $1B embassy in Iraq?

Cheers.

August 20, 2009 at 3:19 p.m.

• BSspotter
    Scroll up a few blogs,then press to discuss the 9th & 10 th amendments and the same old message of the day...This blog is not about the "privacy."

You have a good day.

August 20, 2009 at 2:35 p.m.

• The 9th & 10th Amendments also sum up why the government can't violate your privacy. Privacy is a right not wholly enumerated but shall be retained by the people. I'm sure they've figured out a way to use the interstate commerce or general welfare clauses to violate privacy.

Amendment 9 - The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Amendment 10 - The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

August 20, 2009 at 2:28 p.m.

• Johnny
    12:15 Aug 20, 2009..President Obama just said on a Philadelphia-based conservative radio talk show ,hosted by Michael Smerconish, that illegal immigrants will not be covered in any of the five Health Care Reform bills in place. He did say emergency rooms will continue to treat emergencies and make efforts to avoid plague like events.

This should make it final, the language in the bill excludes the illegal immigrants, federal law forbids it, and now the president has specifically addressed those fears.

August 20, 2009 at 1:05 p.m.

• gyro...this is exactly why I am so turned off by Republicans. They don't care a d##ned about this Country as a whole or what is good for the majority. All they care about is beating the Democrats by any means possible (falsehoods and scare tactics, while they sit on their butts and refuse to try to come up with something that works) and taking care of their political careers and major contributers....big business. In this case, Insurance and Pharmaceutical Companies....average Americans be damned.
    Their main objective on this issue is to see the Democrats fail. That's it.

August 20, 2009 at 1:05 p.m.

• gyroscope
    Where are you going?..Are you a former poster with a new screen identity with an axe to grind?
    Are you a current poster with two identities?

To my knowledge, I have never offended you because I don’t read your blogs, so the only contact (to my knowledge) we have is a reply in my blog. You seem to be fixated on exposing me as some kind of plagiarizer, as an MSNBC viewer (I am) as a viewer of Rachel Maddow (I am) but you are currently on a tangent about the constitution, affirmative action, MSNBC, privacy, separation of church and state; all subjects that you could cover in a personal blog without involving me…BTW I don’t view vid clips so you are wasting your time.

IF you stay on subject, I will be more than happy to answer your question(s).

Your replies are on subjects I never brought up….Feel free to post but you are all over the map without a GPS.

I credited Jon Stewart ..WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?

August 20, 2009 at 1:01 p.m.

• Gyroscope..."No where in the Constitution does it say anything about a "right to privacy" "

You're right, of course. The specific words "right to privacy" don't exist in the Constitution, but the document does define it rather well. Under the First Amendment, you have a right to your private opinions as well as the right to express them. Under the Second Amendment, you have the right to possess privetly owned firearms. The Third Amendment forbids the government from quartering troops in your private home. The Fourth Amendment protects your privacy in your home and the documents you have by forbiding the government from intruding without a warrant from a magistrate. The Fifth Amendment protects against being deprived of your life, liberty and private property without due process. These are only a few of the protections of your privacy guaranteed by the Constitution. It is the right to your privacy that allows you to tell a cop NO if he asks to look into your luggage or the trunk of your car.

August 20, 2009 at 12:35 p.m.

• Johnny
    You are fixated on the illegal immigrates and I just referenced them to answer your question but I never regurgitated any half baked ideas about the Democrats intention in dealing with the illegal immigrants….I agree that all health care reform issues will not be reached with this legislation but in all the discussions; I have either read or heard about Health care Reform ;that issue was never mentioned……..Perhaps this is the reason why.

Although illegal immigrants are disproportionately uninsured, they account for an unusually small share of health care costs. A recent study published by the American Journal of Public Health found that per-capita costs were significantly lower for immigrants -- even those with insurance -- than for native-born Americans. They're less likely to suffer from chronic illnesses such as diabetes and heart disease. And, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation, noncitizens are significantly less likely than citizens to go to an emergency room.

As far as I know Illegal immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare. As you said, emergency medical care will not be denied. ….Emergency medical care is also available to anyone else who resides within US borders regardless of ability to pay. American born children of illegal aliens have the same rights as any other American citizens…Then again I would have to reference the study above.

I am not agreeing or disagreeing; just giving you my honest opinion…I don’t know enough about your question because the Democrats are not referencing it....The Democrats are having their trouble with other Democrats right now.

August 20, 2009 at 10:43 a.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 20, 2009 at 10:35 a.m.

• JohnnyHville wrote: "There is a provision in the bill that restricts Government Aid towards the medical coverage premiums for illegals. However, there is nothing in the bill that restricts illegals from enrolling."

Mike responded with: "...the legislation specifically states that "undocumented aliens" will not be eligible for credits to help them buy health insurance; in Section 246 on page 143…This is the HR3200, House bill."

Thanks for confirming exactly what I said. The provision in the bill excludes illegals from taking government aid to pay for healthcare, but there is nothing that: a) holds them accountable for their costs, or b) prevents them from enrolling on the healthcare program via a "pay-in" (like the rest of us not eligible for government support). That provision is nothing but for show.

However, in consideration of the status quo, and the cause of such, (b) is unlikely to come to fruition. In other words, a large share of, if not a large majority of, illegals will continue to receive the same "emergency room as private physician" care they currently enjoy. Care which is effectively free as their documentation is bogus and therefore inhibits a means to collect (can't garnish the wages of persons paid via 1099's on an imaginary SSN or levy reparative taxes on non-existent tax filings). Those costs will still have to be absorbed by the rest of us, although not being paid directly by government voucher, it is inflating the overall costs and therefore a hidden tax to support illegals' medical care.

I do not agree we should deny necessary medical care to anyone, that would be unhumanitarian and barbaric. Yet, the health care reform, as it relates to illegals, must address the issue and come to grip with the issue. Health care has such far reaching consequences, it cannot be broached as a stand alone issue. This such approach is why the Democrats are having such a hard time as any resulting legislation will be shortsighted and inherently flawed.

The only other option would be to agree with your (sorry, no insult intended) regurgitation of a half baked idea and concede that the Democrats actually intend to allow Mexican nationals to just die on the streets in front of American hospitals as opposed to having the US citizen pick up their medical bill.

August 20, 2009 at 9:57 a.m.

• Mike,

When I say I defend individual liberties, is all you hear "I don’t like to pay any taxes"? So, you don't acknowledge that our government is incrementally usurping our freedoms? In your view, has any government ever oppressed any society?

Yes, you are naive about the supposed benevolence of our government and are blind to the devastating history of powerful central governments. This has consistently been my message, and you simply sum me up as not liking taxes. I repeat, YOU ARE A POLITICAL PARTY PRODUCT, and you're further gone than I thought. How's the view from your colon?

Exposing another threat:
    You are a threat to your decedents.

August 19, 2009 at 6:06 p.m.

• • It would not be surprising that in any town hall meeting in Texas if there were at least 12 if not more LEGALLY armed but concealed citizens…..Where did you get that from? Never mind.
    • That part of the blog was not meant to be taken seriously.
    • Follow Jon Stewart’s line for this skit…About four or five years a “anti-Bush” tee shirt could and did have a couple thrown in jail and that was protesting a war…Get it.

Got to go…have a good one.

August 19, 2009 at 6:03 p.m.

• BSspotter

I am not that blind or naïve..Behind all the words comes a message of “I don’t like to pay any taxes.”All the rest is window dressing….We will never agree on anything..Why bother? I bet if you try real hard, someone will listen to you.

Go ahead insert label,pat yourself on the back,more words about exposing some kind of threat..lol

Have a good night.

August 19, 2009 at 5:28 p.m.

• Mike: "We all have a bias;we have an agenda..Some admit it."

You're correct. My agenda is to maximize individual personal & economic freedoms FOR ALL, to expose the threats to those ideals, and to wake people up from the delusion of a centrally-planned society. My bias leans opposite of government intervention.

August 19, 2009 at 5:16 p.m.

• No itisi, I no longer have a burden..I am retired.:-)

August 19, 2009 at 4:18 p.m.

• Oh well, I have presented my side of the case. The burden of proof is on you to prove me wrong.

August 19, 2009 at 4:03 p.m.

• Ok,itisi
    Feel the want you want but you have not convinced me. It's just not that important to me.

Have good one and keep smiling;it's going to be alright:-)

August 19, 2009 at 3:55 p.m.

• Johnny
    A quick check with politifact.com had this.
    In fact, the legislation specifically states that "undocumented aliens" will not be eligible for credits to help them buy health insurance; in Section 246 on page 143…This is the HR3200, House bill.

Republicans and Democrats agree with this analyst.

August 19, 2009 at 3:51 p.m.

• Mike,

Pelosi is dishonest and corrupt. Yes Wright was thrown out, Gingrich fined. Pelosi has continued her little criminal enterprise and has not been caught, she has lied, been dishonest with the American people, she has called federal agents un-American for doing their jobs and enforcing the very laws she has voted for. She has called the American protesters un-American, when infect she is all for protesting she has encouraged ant-war protest, she believes in free speech but only to her benefit and the left. She has demonstrated the ideas of suppressing free speech of anyone opposing her argument or movement. I will say this about Pelosi, Wright and Gingrich cannot hold a candle to Pelosi. Why she stands out so bad is because of her arrogant attitude and the total like of respect for the American people. She is an elitist of the worst kind. She believes she has more power than anyone and cannot be removed from the bird cage for which she swings. She doomed to fail..

August 19, 2009 at 3:45 p.m.

• A federal law does...So I hear.

August 19, 2009 at 3:40 p.m.

• There is a provision in the bill that restricts Government Aid towards the medical coverage premiums for illegals. However, there is nothing in the bill that restricts illegals from enrolling.

August 19, 2009 at 3:38 p.m.

• Itisi
    What specific ethic investigation are you talking about?…I know of several going on…I know how you feel, I felt she should have allowed the Bush Impeachment to go on or an investigation into torture violations.

You must be young because Texas speaker Jim Wright was thrown out of office for ethics and On January 21, 1997 the House voted overwhelmingly (395 to 28 ) to reprimand House Speaker Newt Gingrich for ethics violations dating back to September 1994. The house ordered Gingrich to pay an unprecedented $300,000 penalty; the first time in the House's 208-year history it had disciplined a speaker for ethical wrongdoing.

The dems will probably lose somewhere from 20-30 house seats but will not lose 79 seats…The ruling party usually loses seats in an off year election.

August 19, 2009 at 2:40 p.m.

• You’re right no argument there, but Pelosi has bulldozed corruption under the table, she has no courage and is spineless, Pelosi, refuses to allow these ethics investigation to go forward. The Dem’s in the House are scared to death of her. In my life time she is one the most dishonest member of congress that I can ever remember, she is worse than Madeoff, The only problem she has not been caught, but time may tell, and it might be as early as 2010. If the Dem’s loose control of the House in 2010 or 2012, I would bet that Pelosi resigns..

August 19, 2009 at 2:26 p.m.

• BSspotter
    We all have a bias;we have an agenda..Some admit it.

August 19, 2009 at 2:12 p.m.

• Mike, there's nothing to get over. It doesn't boost my ego to say these things. I would recommend that you go find your abstract thought mechanism, even if it takes a few more drives through Riverside Park.

You tend to cite a lot of mainstream polls & news shows to make your points, and I think those sources are mostly contrived & phony. It trains people to echo empty words like "hope", "change" & "reform". Mainstream political space is a virtual reality that's meant to divide us into easily manipulated camps (CNN vs Fox) and sway our opinions to meet establishment objectives (war, govt health care, nationalization, welfare).

If it makes me a "drama queen" to point out that you're parroting their propaganda, I'll wear that crown & dress every time. Sure, you're intelligent & have original thoughts, but those thoughts originate from within the bounds they've drawn for you.

August 19, 2009 at 2:09 p.m.

• You see everyone picks on BigJ but when he gets deleted he quits for that day...Some are not satisfied with having about ten right -wing sites,where they can post with the like minded,they feel they have to barg in and post their vile....Post on another blog or write your own Rollingstone.

August 19, 2009 at 2:08 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 19, 2009 at 2:07 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 19, 2009 at 1:58 p.m.

• Itisi

Come on, Speaker Newt Gingrich (infidelity)was speaker; what example did he set?….How about speaker Dennis Hastert and allowing the page scandal to go on….The more the GOP bring up the “family values”;the worst the public will view them for being hypocrites.

Gaffs are part of politics Democrat and Republican…The public has a short memory and politicians are not role models…Politics is a down, dirty, and sleazy; not for faint of heart.

August 19, 2009 at 1:57 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 19, 2009 at 1:56 p.m.

• You’re right about Pelosi, I wouldn’t have choose those adjectives, more like crook, criminal, anti-American, A fine representative for a setting United States Representative and Speaker of The House. That’s ok as long as she keeps running her mouth she will lose her on personal Air Force. The Democrats in Congress have made some despicable comments about the American people, they will pay, you and others can count on it..

August 19, 2009 at 1:37 p.m.

• Itisi
    A little history…Barack Obama campaigned and practically all the Democratic debates were on health care.

1. Hillary care (1993-4) failed because she presented congress a plan and said this is how I want it…get me the votes.
    2. Barack Obama decided to take the opposite approach..Give it to congress to fill in the details.
    3. Barack does know the details of what he will eventually sign.
    4. You are right, too many (5) plans that have to be worked up are out there and he is doing a poor job of selling. I said so in my blog but I also said what he was up against.

Barack Obama said he will get a bill to sign…He said if it costs him to be a one term president; then so be it…You know FDR did not get everything for Social Security on the first try. He wanted health care. It came in bits and pieces like Medicade, SCHIP, and Medicare.

August 19, 2009 at 1:34 p.m.

• Misinformation war, Obama didn’t have a PLAN, he left up to Congress to write, BAD MISTAKE for OB. How can you sale something when you don’t know what you are selling? That is Obama's problem...

August 19, 2009 at 1:21 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

August 19, 2009 at 1:16 p.m.

• Itisi
    Nancy Pelosi? I bet if I held a word association game with only right- wingers it would go something like this…..(Evil)..Nancy Pelosi (government)…Nancy Pelosi (Democrat)..Nancy Pelosi (swine-flu) …Nancy Pelosi (taxes)…Nancy Pelosi

Did you know she only has one vote in the House of Representatives?:-)

Like I said it is not about Fox viewers because they can only influence about 40 senators (maybe a few more) but that is how the system works.

August 19, 2009 at 1:12 p.m.

• BSspotter
    Get over yourself…You can’t get the Jon Stewart connection?…The AR 15 guys were part of a radio stunt. They told the police of their intentions beforehand..No use to go all “drama queen”

August 19, 2009 at 1:01 p.m.

• Mike: "As I see it the protesters started with a single armed protester in New Hampshire, they then graduated to about twelve armed protesters in Phoenix, so the next rally has to trump that."

This is the natural progression I'd expect after the first incident was blown out of proportion and the gun packer was demonized. Would you expect anything different from a group whose rights are questioned in public? What better way to protest than to exercise the right in question?

Mike: "Perhaps, trucks load of fertilizer with detonators?"

And congrats on being a drone that equates legal gun possession with mass murder. I always suspected you were a spawn of establishment group-thinking, and this confirms it. I don't fully condone what they did (but I do support their rights), but I have the sense & objectivity to at least attempt to understand the psychology behind their actions, while you're told what to think. Bravo!

August 19, 2009 at 12:53 p.m.

• Nancy Pelosi, 2006 anti-war rally San Francisco, “ I like disruption”..

Obama and the Fox news viewers that must be that other 200million pulse that is not in favor of Obama’s government run healthcare, Cap& Trade, history making government budget, stimulus (PORK), I’m sure there is more…

August 19, 2009 at 12:23 p.m.