Comments

• Maybe some don't know the definition of spousal abuse --especially in an alcoholic stage. It is nothing absolutely nothing to wax or wane about.

No I have seen the so called victims made light of. People joke about it and then two days later their spouse has hit the hell out of them and they had to sneak in the back door of the local doctor's office you knew nothing about. I worked there and saw what men did to women....wink wink.,...I don't think this life is funny. Ever see a fractured jaw wink wink. Ever see a fractured skull wink wink. fractured arm wink wink. And the spouse had to hide from friends and family wink wink.

Does being being democrat allow you to call the names but not be accountable for eluding to spousal abuse and laughing wink wink....

August 28, 2009 at 8:36 p.m.

• catahula
    My memory failed me, the police officer was Willie Hill not Willie Brown…Office Hill was an institution in Victoria way back when…First of all you are letting your iminationrun away, as usual….There was no gun or children involved, just a cussing by both parties and the wife, that would not warrant a 9/11 call today…Willie Hill could be a Dutch uncle if needed or a gentle giant, whatever the occasion warranted…The old timers of Victoria know exactly what I am taking about….The jails could not hold all the people that were accused of yelling at their spouse…Get a life.

I would never accuse another poster of supporting spousal abuse but that’s just me.

Try your condescending preaching on someone else.

August 28, 2009 at 7:28 p.m.

• Mike what a way to celebrate spousal abuse with Willie Brown. That was the same way they did where I lived...when your spouse beat you or held a gun to you the cops would come and talk to the man and wink and leave.

Yea a really great memory of the law you bring up. Sorry but that is disgusting. Alcolholic abuse to a family back think was also accepted with a wink and a nod --I know!! It should have been accepted with cattle prod being applied at least ten times daily to the sob. All the damage they did to the family. The scars left with winks and nods.

Willie Brown was no man if he did not take care of that woman and children.

Thank God over 10 million times they don't do that any more.

Spousal and child abuse is now illegal and there should be no winks and nods.

I am glad I know of one community way before then that did not accept that with a wink and nod and used ole sparky instead. Amen.

August 28, 2009 at 6:33 p.m.

• Mike
    The theatre I cannot remember was located next to the old Post Office. It seems like there was some space between it and the Post Office on Constitution St.
    There was another theatre on the 100 block of N Main and it burned in the early 1960's.
    Hauschilds Music Store was on the NE corner of Forest and Liberty streets. The McFaddin bldg may still be on the NW corner. The Hauschild family lived next to the store on 200 block of Forrest St.

August 28, 2009 at 3:52 p.m.

• Arlewil
    Your memory continues to amaze me because now I remember the Rita.,...Wasn't that other theater close to the old Hauschild store?

Yes, things were less complicated and I don’t recall my stepfather ever discussing politics; except to say President Eisenhower was probably playing golf again.

August 28, 2009 at 3:35 p.m.

• Mike
    Another good job of reminding folks of the way things used to be. The old movie theatres in downtown Victoria (Downtown, El Rancho, Rita) were located right around the square. My treat at one time was my Dad would take us to the Downtown Theatre on friday night. We saw a lot of westerns along with a cartoon and Movietone News. There was another theatre on the 200 block of E Constitution but I don't remember the name. I do remember the ticket price of 25 cents for adults and 10 cents for children age 12 and under. Going to the movie theatres back then was a family affair except for Saturdays which were mostly for kids.
    I am 69 and graduated in the first class out of the new Victoria High in 1958.
    I don't know if things were better then than now, however it seemed a lot less complicated then it is today. There were less people and less rules to follow, no TV, no internet. You could listen to "The Lone Ranger" on radio and it was fun then.

August 28, 2009 at 3:23 p.m.