Comments

• NERDS

December 3, 2009 at 1:23 p.m.

• Friedman has an agenda, just like Hannity, so people, dont be quoting people from either the left or right, both of them have an agenda. Now, like I said in my previous postings, either full force or out. Here is my take. We need troops on the ground to built a credible force. History has taught us that if we leave the Taliban alone, they will let AQ back in full force. The troop jobs would be to hit the ground and secured the ground. If the Taliban is going to fight, it will forced to fight our battles instead of us fighting theirs. Our objectives are to win an intelligence battle. We know that no matter what, the Taliban will infiltrate the Afghan Army but at the same time, by having troops there, we should be able to do the same with the Taliban. Oh course, we need Pakistan help here. Keep in mind, the people that we are dealing with, are very much ignorant, some of them did not even know about 9/11. (Source...me communicating with people) So, the hit and run will become less likely a la Vietnam. For those that argue that is not our war, well, OBL thinks that we are war with him and he is coming after us. And no, I am not talking about a buggy man but a real war that was brought to us and if we do not do something about it, it will continue unless we disrupt their operations at their home turf. Bottom line, we can not let the Taliban take over, for AQ will move back in and have freedom to train as they did before.

December 2, 2009 at 10:17 p.m.

• Friedman never hears about the wars and the after business in his travels to China?....

Guess he hears about it just like he hears about the facts coming out about the global warming scam.

And CNN ratings are shall we say....low. Once great news network.

December 2, 2009 at 6:43 p.m.

• "The republicans were not pleased with the July, 2011 time line for withdrawal."

That's true. The withdrawal date should have been December 2009.

December 2, 2009 at 6:41 p.m.

• Tom Friedman has won the Pulitzer Prize three times and he can distinguish global warming/climate change from a local weather report.

You make some good points and I remember Tom Friedman saying that Japan and China do not have to wake up and worry about Afghanistan or Iraq; in fact the subject never comes up in his travels there.

December 2, 2009 at 2:19 p.m.

• Mike,

First, I mistakenly identified Friedman as Nobel laureate. It was Paul Krugman I was thinking of. Anyway, Friedman and Krugman are both New York Times reporters.

Anyway, I thought Friedman was trying to say we can't afford the war in Afghanistan because Iraq has virtually bankrupted us as a nation. I'm with you, I want us out of Afghanistan where we are seen as occupiers. I reason that there is no possible solution for building and integrating Afghanistan in to the modern community of nations. The treasure we are pouring into Afghanistan could save our economy and our country. We are bleeding our precious resources on a lost cause all the while China grows stronger economically and militarily. When we are bled out, China will become the new world leader.

December 2, 2009 at 2:06 p.m.

• Zorro
    Tom Friedman is one of my favorite authors /columnists but I have disagreed with him on two occasions…1. He was for the invasion of Iraq..2… We cannot nation build in 18 months but we have to support the agriculture surge (part of this mission) to replace the main crop; opium..It was reported that an opium field was located about 100 yards from a police station in Afghanistan.

I was hoping the president would not escalate this war.

December 2, 2009 at 1 p.m.

• ktfootbal
    That is subjective.

December 2, 2009 at 12:48 p.m.

• Nobel economic laureate Thomas Friedman wrote today that "Given our need for nation-building at home right now, I am ready to live with a little less security and a little-less-perfect Afghanistan," also adding: "Iraq has proved staggeringly expensive and hugely painful. The mistakes we made should humble anyone about nation-building in Afghanistan. It does me."

Amen brother! This is a war we can't afford, it's a bridge to far and will become our Hadrian Wall. The terrorist will continue to operate regardless of our commitment to Afghanistan. Islamic terrorism is like a disease that has spread well beyond the borders of Afghanistan and Pakistan. Iraq has needlessly bankrupted this great county. We no longer have the ability to police the world and we should not.

December 2, 2009 at 12:40 p.m.

• Ease up on Hannity Mike, he makes a whole lot more sense than you do!

December 2, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.