Comments

• As always "good" is subjective.

December 17, 2009 at 12:04 p.m.

• Barry

I am not trying to be sarcastic but what is a good bill? Is it one that the opposition agrees with? Where is the compromise? You can have a public option but give us tort reform,buying insurance across state lines,or make HSAs more feasible.

I agree that the Democrats are showing desperation in trying to pass the Health Care Reform bill but it was the issue of importance for 69 million people that voted for President Obama.

I don't necessarily disagree that there are some democrats acting like little children and are itching to make up for lost time.

The Republican Party is currently a southern regional party with only two senators from the Northeast. They are being led by Jim DeMint who said this healthcare bill would be “Obama’s Waterloo” and several republicans such as Orin Hatch have admitted that voting “no” is the only strategy left when you only have 40 seats in the Senate. 30 republicans voted against Al Franken's amendment that would deny defense contracts to companies that ask employees to sign away the right to sue. This was based on the Jamie Leigh Jones case where she was not allowed to sue KBR because her employment contract said that sexual assault allegations would only be heard in private arbitration--a process that overwhelmingly favors corporations.

Don't you think that the difference in ideology is the basis that cannot be bridged,?

December 17, 2009 at 11:43 a.m.

• Mike: "Since the Republican Party is a going to vote “no” on every single piece of legislation,"

Mike they are voting no because these are bad bills. Rest assured, should the Democrats come up with something of value, I have faith that the GOP, maybe not all, but many, will get behind them. In my opinion, right now the Democrats are so desperate to pass a bill, any bill regardless of the longterm harm it is likley to cause. Thankfully the Republicans don't feel that way. Eight years was a long time for the Democrats to be out of power and it seems they are acting like children with a wad full of allowance that is burning a hole in their pockets and they are just itching to make up for lost spending time.

December 16, 2009 at 8:48 p.m.

• One last point and I'll quit ranting.

Your party controls the whole ball of wax now so they should have no problem cramming all these left wing socialist programs down our throats with or with out republican roadblocks and fillibusters they have super majorities in both houses so why have they not passed all these programs wanted by the left fringe of your party. Could it be not all democrats believe these to be in the best interest of the people. Now isn't that the real truth here not that republicans are stopping all these larger than life spending bills.

December 16, 2009 at 8:38 p.m.

• when it comes to fillabusters and roadblocks you party had its fair share on all the court appointments made from reagan's day till the present when a republican held the office of president. Or have you forgotten all of those? So your statement of only 39 up til the last 11 months does not hold water at all.

December 16, 2009 at 7:58 p.m.

• ok need i remind you that since the 1960's the democrates have controlled the 2 houses all of the those years except when clinton was in the white house and the first part of bush 2's terms. almost every change in proceedure was put into place to suit their needs. President Reagan won out by going to the people for support in getting congress to do the things he wanted and because he truely had a mandate with his landslide victory in the elections. unlike the last 4 presidents who won by single digits.

Your party is always crying foul when the republicans use the same tactics it used to delay votes or appointments made by republican presidents this is a historical fact.they also want a congressional investigation on every policy or action republicans take or impliment. I don't see them clammoring for investigations into all the dealings of rep. rangel or Rep. frank and his dope smoking and growing partner or into Madam pelosi's ties to the tuna industry for her position on somoa. and the list goes on endlessly. Where is the same zeal on these examples? If it were a republican the outcry would be thunderous for investigations. Kinda makes you wonder what they are up to when they won't apply their standards to themselves as well.

Your left wing news outlets are just as vocal as the right wing ones you mentioned here but I see that you failed to bring them up in your statement. Why is that? How about Al Gore and all the false evidence he has used to prop up his arguements.

If you would have carefully read my comment on insurance i said "your reference" not your "statement" there is a big difference there. My assertion is true because those of us who have insurance pay through the nose to support all the ones who get it free from the government (medicaid,welfare) and higher costs due to illegals hitting the ER's and MY FOOTING THAT AS WELL through higher costs to me for the same services they all get for free. Where is the FAIRNESS in that. so If i complain about paying huge amounts in insurance maybe i have a darn good reason and don't want to be told I will have to pay more to cover any more dead beat parasites gorging themselves at my expense. All of whom will forever be loyal democrates because its your party that has enslaved them and bought their votes forever with a welfare check and a free lunch. Your party has killed the work ethic in this country so admit the truth and take the blame for something once in a while its not the republicans who have spent this country into bankruptcy but all the entitlements passed by your party that has caused this mess.

December 16, 2009 at 7:47 p.m.

• Holly1
    I think you need to rewrite your first sentence because the Democrats could not put in the 60 votes for cloture in motions, unless they had the votes. I'll also stated that it will come back to bite the GOP, when they regain power. I recall hearing that we had about 39 filibusters since that 1975 rulings but it is way beyond that in the short l1 months of the Obama administration.

This is global (all the earth) not just a regional weather report. I remembered the governor of Montana talking about the rancher's complaints about the shorten hunting season. About five years ago a park ranger told our group that the snow on Pikes Peak does not remain year-round anymore. We were there in July of 2003 and most of the snow was gone.

The EPA's recent assessment on carbon being a health concern will be the driving factor in bringing down greenhouse emissions. The Supreme Court has already forced their hand.

India & China will be a hard sell because when measured in cumulative CO2 emissions since 1900-2005 in millions of metric tons: Canada 24,300 China 92,950 India 25,895 and the United States 318,432…. Doesn't look like the U.S, is the whipping boy.

I've been paying some kind of insurance for over 45 years and don't remember ever using my home mortgage insurance. I quoted Fareed, not my quote or idea but I posted the other day I agree with Tom Friedman's idea.

Have a good one.

December 16, 2009 at 5:56 p.m.

• Why is it when all these rules (60 votes) and others put into effect by democrates when the republicans were in power or in the white house are great until they hamper what they want to do? They had no problem with them until the republicans us them in the same way they did. Now they want to change them again. Are we going to change the rules every time they don't suit our desires? I hope not! Maybe we should go back to the origanal system as outlined by the constitution and quit messing with a good thing.

As far as global warming is concerned I think a whole lot of farmers in the northern states would beg to differ with global warming advocates, when this year has been one of the coldest and rainy in recent memory. There was no real summer in those states this year. I think a few more years of studies by scientists without an agenda to support and the collection of hard data from geologic sources would be warranted before vast sums of money is spent to combat this issue. Once opened the pandora's box of big government can never be refilled and locked back up again. More taxes and regulation is not in the best interest of America right now. Until china and India and a few other large emerging countries also agree to the same cuts and regulations they want us to adopt we should not enter into any agreements that will only affect our economy and lifestyle. These countries also need to foot the bill as well. Its high time America quit being the whipping boy and pay for all the worlds problems.

Your reference of doing something now is like insurance policies made me chuckle. I spend a huge amount of money already for insurance I most likely will never use. I am already insurance rich and money poor. Its getting to the point where we will no longer be able to afford all the insurance required by the government to pay for all its excessive spending and regulations.

December 16, 2009 at 5:29 p.m.

• Actually 31 of 60 Democrats voted against the importation of drugs. President Obama brought in Big Pharma early in the discussion with their $80 billion in good faith money… This provision may be stripped out in committee…. The vote was 51-48 but it did not have the 60 votes for passage. The original 60 vote requirement was supposed to be for major legislation, not every single issue such as bringing a bill to the floor. It's a weapon of choice, Democrats will have to deal with it but so will the GOP when we have the power reversal.

I am not a climatologist so the data would be worthless to me but I would like answers about the depletion of the Rain Forest, polar ice caps,the shorter winters, intensity of the California forest fires, flooding, and other visuals I have seen on television.

I remain open-minded but for now I will put my trust in 90% of the world scientists who believe global warming is real and some of it is caused by man. I continue to think that until they can prove that X. amount of carbon equals a 1° hotter climate, they will continue to have their doubters. Fareed Zakaria said we should look it the effects of global climate change like we do our automobile and mortgage insurance policies. We hope we never have to use them but they give us peace of mind. Tom Friedman said let’s combat it with alternative fuels; that way if it is proven a hoax, we still have alternative fuels.

December 16, 2009 at 3:40 p.m.

• "...it NOW takes 60 votes..."? The requirement that there be 60 votes in the Senate to invoke cloture was put in place in 1975 by a Democrat majority Congress.

Most of us would be glad to examine the base data that was used to reach the questionable conclusion that anthropogenic global warming is true. We cannot because the authors of that UN report destroyed all the original data. It is not available for examination, but we should just trust them and take their word for the truth of their conclusions. A true scientist, not one advancing a political agenda, makes all the raw data used to reach his conclusions available to anyone who asks. You only destroy data when it would call into question the conclusions you have drawn from it.

Ian Harris, one of the "scientists" involved, stated in several emails:

"...hopeless state of our databases."
    "...there is no uniform data integrity."
    "The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't."

Finally, the Democrats had to vote against allowing the importation of cheaper drugs from Canada, because that would be in violation of the agreement B. Hussein made when he accepted an $80 billion bribe from the drug manufacturers.

December 16, 2009 at 3:15 p.m.

• Hmmm?

Yeah, Mike there's plenty of data alright - to do nothing.

December 16, 2009 at 2:34 p.m.