Comments

• VBB
    I loved California when I visited ..It is a progressive state ,always one step of the nation when it comes to innovation...Weather is great and plenty to see.......The movie stars don't kick in anymore than the Wall Street CEOs,Exxon,T. Boone Pickens,Bill Gates  etc.,etc,etc. But that is just me.

February 20, 2009 at 10:47 a.m.

• Freethinker????  yes I wish death upon anyone stupid enough to live in that vast, wasteful, vain, hypocritical land you call home.  Why aren't the worthless celebs donating money to their home state to bail it out?  If you fell off the earth tomorrow, it'd be at least a day too late.

February 19, 2009 at 8:57 p.m.

• Bighorn
    Again, I don’t know what you are implying. Morally superior? Who? What? When?
    Our economy is in a deep, deep, recession and even the opposing Republicans agreed we needed a stimulus package for the short-term boost …The demand side is down ,spending is the only way to bring that side up….I am afraid this particular package is too small and Obama will have to have another one.
    Government is the only entity with the liquidity to stimulate the economy…Economist tell us that doing nothing will only drive us into the ditch at a quicker pace, then it would take about 10-20 years to get out.
    The DOW is not indicator of the economy until we bottom out..I suspect we have not done that yet.

February 19, 2009 at 9:27 a.m.

• Hello Knight
    Where to start? Let’s start with the truth, leaving out the talking points.
    True enough, Obama and team gave the Chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, Dave Obey (one of the most liberal Americans) a figure of about $800 billion and told  him to fill in the blanks. Agreed, a mistake but most of those were scrubbed by the senate then the conference committee.
    Nancy Pelosi did not write the bill but she makes a better target for the Republicans since Obama has a 60+ approval. She is the house speaker, fair enough, she is as tough as nails and she can take it.
    Barack Obama put out his plan in early October and his team was laying out the ground work during the campaign. The representatives hardly ever read any bills before them, their aides or lobbyist will tell them what they need to know.
    Time was a factor but giving the conservatives more time would not have produced any more votes. Why? Ideology and principal. You cannot convince a true conservative to increase spending or that tax cuts are not simulative. The stimulus package is supposed to boost the demand side of the supply & demand equation.
    The governors should not turn down the funds but they could cut out the theatrics. I agree they have to be careful about unfunded projects or mandates.
    Each party will reward those who supported them but I have listened to the republican lawmaker’s voice their dissatisfaction without proposing a serious alternative.
    I know it is popular to bring up labor unions, ACORN, Nancy Pelosi but I checked out Factcheck.org to find out that, yes, some pork was in the bill but it accounted for a very small percentage.
    Feel free to checkout the Factcheck.org anaylis …I cut & pasted one paragraph as a sample.
    The “pet projects” may not have been so easily identifiable in the House bill, but watchdog groups picked out some in the Senate version. "To say there are no earmarks, would not be an accurate statement. There are very few," said Citizens Against Government Waste President Tom Schatz, "[M]embers [of Congress] have gotten much more creative."

Schatz rattled off a few examples that were in the Senate version: $198 million for benefits for Filipino veterans; $2 billion for a near-zero emissions coal plant, which would most likely go to the FutureGen project in Illinois; $500 million for National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Md. Members’ names weren't attached to the items. Still, Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois has supported FutureGen, and why wouldn’t Maryland Sens. Barbara Mikulski and Benjamin Cardin be pleased to see funds go to their state? Such items meet the group's definition of what qualifies as "pork." For the record, funds for the near-zero emissions plant were stripped out of the final conference report, but the Filipino veterans benefits and funds for NIH buildings are still there.

February 19, 2009 at 9:10 a.m.

• wow, victorianbybirth you are for the death of millions of innocent people in california? The stimulus package is not big enough and it sure pales in comparison with the trillions wasted on the bloated military budget during the Bush years.

February 19, 2009 at 9:01 a.m.

• .
    Repair roads and bridges? Great idea. Too bad it's the worthy fig leaf that covers for a long list of pet projects that will create no jobs.

The economy urgently needs help, but the Government Accounting Ofc estimates that only 11% of the trillion dollar turkey Congress just passed will be spent in 2009. Much of it won't be spent for three more years. That fact alone is reason enough to have opposed this misnamed boondoggle.

Obama screwed up by letting Pelosi and crew write the package. Where was his leadership?

It's obscene that not one member of Congress had time to find out what all had been slipped into the bill in the conference. Voting began just 18 hours after it was printed. Why the insane rush? Oh, because of the urgency of the crisis. Yet, after it was railroaded through Congress, Obama took a three day holiday and waited to to sign it with great fanfare on Tuesday. Instead, he should have lived up to his campaign rhetoric and let the people and Congress study that bill before it was voted upon.

This isn't the change Obama promised. This is Washington at its very worst, with the new president mocking members for refusing to vote blind.

Why should governors turn down funds, even if they believe money should have been spent in far better ways? What the guvs WILL be leery of -- and they learned this from long, sad experience -- are the many new programs which are coming with only start up money, but without funds to sustain them. Pelosi's bunch hopes the "ratchet effect" will kick in; i.e. once a program is created, it gains a political constituency and tends to never go away. This is little better than Washington's other dirty trick on state and local governments -- unfunded mandates.

Now that Democrats have passed their wish list of social programs and green energy, and rewarded labor unions and Acorn for their campaign efforts last election, within a matter of months Pelosi and Reid will be back telling the public MORE stimulus will be required. Only then will they get serious about a bill which might actually do something about job creation.

February 19, 2009 at 2:14 a.m.

• Sorry for calling you out to contribute more than your share (per the tax code). I forgot that being a moral superior didn't mean one should behave in a such a manner.
    The inclusion of the Democrats extreme spending habits was frankly quite surprising. I would have thought they had sense enough to ease into their agenda rather than attempt to shove it down the taxpayers throat. Just goes to show that egos know no boundries.
    If productive Americans continue to be STIMULATED by their government, we won't have anything left but ten minutes of pleasure and a wet spot. Bush got his bank bailout, and managed to crash the Dow by 2,000 points. So far Obama's STIMULATION of us has been onyl able to dump us a couple of hundred.
    And all this time I thought the defination of insanity was doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

February 19, 2009 at 12:21 a.m.

• Mike, in my zeal to hate everything California, I failed to mention my appreciation of your humor. : )
    Oh, I am enjoying every minute of their misery, but I have this nagging feeling that somehow their problems are going to be foisted upon the rest of us. I dunno, seems like the rest of us are downhill from California & the sewage problems follow.
    Arnold is a Republican kinda like those yankees are Republican, though you may appreciate I have discovered & embraced my inner yankee.  It was difficult & required a few drinks, but I've accepted it.
    I agree with you, the natives are unusually cranky this evening.

February 18, 2009 at 9:30 p.m.

• Come on,VBB it just a budget shortfall and they are waiting on one GOP senator to pass their budget that raises taxes.
    That particular republican is standing on principal...Lots of sleepless night for the California legislators..I just know you are enjoying every minute of it.

February 18, 2009 at 8:57 p.m.

• Hello (sunshine)sandwichh
    It looks like you took a whole months frustration out on me........But that's OK.
    Hope now that you got it out of your system ,you enjoy the rest of your night.
    Have a good one

February 18, 2009 at 8:53 p.m.

• Bighorn
    By golly I think you are right..I think I did hear someone (on the democratic side) say 5 days before bill is voted on…..Still have 47 months to make that come true.
    Hope? Change? Doom & gloom? …..I don’t follow your logic unless you are saying Obama was supposed to wave a magic wand over Washington and we would have hope & change in his very first month in office.….As for Hannity,Rush, & O’Reilly ..I didn’t mention them so why would I pull them out.
    Why should I be singled out and told to over pay my taxes? In my contribution comment….I was sending a tongue in cheek to VBB because I knew how she felt about California

February 18, 2009 at 8:45 p.m.

• Screw Cali, may they fall into the ocean while trying to put out one of their many fires.

February 18, 2009 at 7:35 p.m.

• I thought the Legislation was supposed to be posted 5 days BEFORE the President signed it into law.
    How did HOPE and CHANGE become GLOOM and DOOM? And don't hand me the Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reily BS excuse again, Mike. I don't and won't listen to any of them.....
    While you cite CONTRIBUTIONS, feel free to over pay your taxes to HELP your President.

February 18, 2009 at 7:19 p.m.

• The money is being forced on to banks and such, heard it from a local banker right here in Victoria. The money belongs to their taxpayers. If it is made available why not take it?IT BELONGS TO THE TAXPAYERS. NOT NOBAMA. Libs are the hippocrits.
    The money for SS belongs to those that contributed to it,...like me. Promised to me by the government. Should I not take it since it is taken from me by the point of a gun, now by a tax cheat tax collector? One of Nobama's tax cheaters and lobbyists he is putting into high positions.
    Interesting spin you and MSNBC, Dr. "Chairman Mao" Maddow, are doing. If the Rep take the money they are hippocrits. IT BELONGS TO THEIR TAX PAYERS. Should they sit by and let THEIR money go to those that don't deserve it? You are truly suggesting pure socialism. You pay, the socialist elites, nobama anc co., pay out the favors. The pay out is not near the total fault of the Rep, it is the fault of a extreme newly elected by 52% of eligible voters who voted left wing Pres and congress. The same extreme left wing liberal progressive Dem majority controlled congress that has been in charge for over 2 years now and that wrote the TARP bill at the end of the year. Signed by a non conservative pres after consulting with the new liberal progressive Pres elect, ie Bush asked Nobama what he wanted and gave it to him.
    This disaster coming being financed by taxpayer monies, those that pay taxes, totally belongs to the new liberal Progressive dem party. Thanks Barney Frank, Dodd, Pelosi, Nobama, etc.
    It is for the children the Dems say, yes they will be paying for it. Nice to see how you turn you backs on them.
    The tax cuts on the website are not honest, read through the hype.
    I told you so.

February 18, 2009 at 7:11 p.m.

• Lol ,....Good one VBB.
    I  see your least favorite state (California) is in a deep .hole.... Come on send a contribution to Arnold...:) maybe he will throw into the  pot.

February 18, 2009 at 6:18 p.m.

• Call it a consolation prize.

February 18, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.