Comments

• Spock
    It’s one baby step at a time….If the Victoria bloggers agree to stop using chain emails and far right or left wing blogs for substantial material, it’s a small step in the right direction…It won’t happen overnight.
    Some shouted before the financial crisis but they were not heard over the manipulated data we were using. Accounting schemes too complex for the media to comprehend such as Enron, WorldCom, credit default swaps, and CDOs and now we learn Bernard Madoff never invested the money given to him for 13 years, and no was the wiser.
    Former Comptroller General David Walker warned us years (I saw him on 60 minutes) that our debt and deficit was much higher than what was being reported but no one listened. For instance the Iraq/Afghanistan war was funded off budget with emergency spending bills…Richard Clark tells us he was running around with his hair on fire, trying to persuade the Bush Administration to be more concerned about al Qaeda but on the other hand Judith Miller of the NYT wrote the propaganda the defense department gave her and it was never questioned by her editor.
    Illogical is in the eye of the beholder and that too is the pot call the kettle black.
    Local posters have no control over the major media outlets or Kennedy conspiracy theories but we have the ability to treat each other with respect and police ourselves. I am guilty of engaging in ad homieum attacks but I have scaled back and I try really hard (with through research) to post the truth. I don’t want to be known as a liar.
    It all comes to light, sooner or later.

February 21, 2009 at 12:34 p.m.

• My god, folks, it's absolutely ludicrous for anyone to cite either right or left, Republican or Democrat - or any of several other ideological persuasions for falsely reporting what their ideological opposition said.  Statistically, the instance of accuracy in any media report these days is minimal.  To pretend that veracity and accuracy has any significant part in today's ideological discourse reduces any discussion to the level of grade school (and lower than middle).
    For example (just "off the top of the head" - I happen to have been talking about it just minutes ago), why is it that with literally tens of thousands of instances of persons using handguns and other firearms to either save themselves or others from injury or death, there is seldom - just about never - any such report in the "news?"  If the NRA magazine can report a dozen or so every month, why nothing from CNN, MSNBC, and all the rest.  How about FoxNews?
    Here's another, on TV right now:  why, with dozens of "analyses" of the JFK assassination popping up continually, is there absolutely never any question concerning the most obvious of all the data - the fact that no one (in literally tens of thousands of attempts to date) has ever been able to cause the head injury Kennedy suffered by shooting from the rear (I personally participated in a university study concerning that: you can't blow the back - or side - of a man's head off by shooting him in the back of his head)?  Why do none of our information services and all their vaunted experts never so much as mention the issue?
    If this is how we can trust the media - and people generally who discuss matters in the manner I see here - why do we put any credence at all in what they tell us where, for instance, the "bailout" and the "stimulous" are concerned?  Why did none of these "authorites" give any warning whatsoever BEFORE it all came down?  If they knew nothing before, how do they know so much now?
    Unless you're just "getting your kicks," trying to pretend that your point of view is more rational by implying (even proving) that the opposition is a liar is totally illogical.  It's also the pot calling the kettle black.

February 21, 2009 at 11:39 a.m.

• Coolgranny, durning the campaign I spent a lot of time debunking chain emails and blog posting that posters were cut and pasting as substantial facts, hoping it would create a truthful environment but it became too time consuming….After the election I stopped visiting Snoops.com and Factcheck.com but the other day, I saw some postings that I suspected to be false. The posting I wrote about was one of them.
    I am sure everyone is sick and tired of bribing countries in hope of peace but we now regard it as a price for doing business in the Middle East.
    In 1989, UTA Flight 772 crashed in central Niger en route to Paris from Chad. All 170 passengers and crew were killed. Libya was directly responsible for the bombing, basing his ruling on evidence from a French criminal case which convicted Libyan officials of the bombing and State Department reports. In 2003 our CIA persuaded Libya to give up its nuclear ambitions. A federal judge in D.C. ordered Libya and six of its officials to pay about $6 billion in damages to their families. Libya accepted responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing. In December 2003, Libya announced that it had agreed to reveal and end its programs to develop weapons of mass destruction and to renounce terrorism. In 2006, the U.S. removed Libya from a State Department list of state sponsors of terrorism and diplomatic relations with the country have been restored. Bribery works.
    I take a lot of bloggers seriously but I will take a more lighthearted approach when I view your comments..Thanks for the heads up.

February 21, 2009 at 11:19 a.m.

• Mike, the Chronicle never mentioned emmigration for the Palestinians. It did mention the 20.3 million in an article this week. I am still sick and tired of bribing countries for peace that never comes.
    I don't read the websites like you do. I searched the topic and read many articles on the humanitarian aid. None of them said a word about tickets to America. I popped off in another blog about a package to bring terrorists to America, but that was all it was, popping off. I had no idea that it was really an issue for some.
    This is a blog site, right? I don't take anyone seriously. I do pay attention to the comments on articles. Most of my responses are off the cuff to push for comments that give me a chuckle.

February 20, 2009 at 6:15 p.m.

• Hello waywardwind
    Again we are not at war with Muslims no more than they are with Methodist, Catholics or whatever religion our troops are. We are on their home turf and they resent it..BTW George W. Bush would have sent that money to Gaza today despite our financial problems..It was for humanitarian purposes…General Petraeus paid the Sunni who were killing our troop’s full immunity and cash to boot…It paid off with the violence going down and our soldier’s lives. The previous State Department cannot account for $9 billion dollars that simply vanished in Iraq…I didn’t see any outrage.
    I have looked at the size of President Barack Obama’s stimulus package and it’s not big enough because of the hole we are in. In about nine months he will have to ask for more if the financial indicators don’t improve. Doing nothing is not an option.
    Sorry but I don’t agree with you stereotyping the entire Muslim world, they may not want us to occupy their country but we would feel the same.
    About two years ago, I saw protesters lining the streets of Canada when Bush went there..Yesterday they were waving American flags, the same in Europe during the campaign when the new president arrived…..We are through with the hateful rhetoric and cowboy diplomacy because it did not work. We are on a mission to regain our former allies, so that we won’t always have to foot the bill.
    I know this response will not change your mind (you will still have the hate) but I am glad our president, Secretary of State, General Petraeus, and Secretary of Defense are all on the same page with this new strategy of protecting the civilians so we can regain their trust and they won’t have to rely on the terrorist that actually want to kill us….Read up on the new strategy for Afghanistan..We know we can’t win there, so we are going to take a more reasonable approach of trying to convince the Taliban it is their best interest to rid the country of al Qaeda and we will not try to change them in any way but the sooner we can iron our difference and are assured Afghanistan won’t be a haven for terrorist camps; we will leave.
    I told you were are always going to be 180 degrees apart but thanks for responding and don’t let our differences keep you from posting your opinion…I like the fact that you are your own person and not afraid to express your opinion and believe me I don’t think I am always right. You may be right and this new strategy may not work..We may just be spinning our wheels.
    I enjoyed it ...have a good week-end but right now I’ve got to go watch my grandson play…Baseball is just around the corner.

February 20, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.

• Mike -- "...thanks for the comments but you did not have an opinion on the right-wing blog “New Media Journal” distributing lies about Obama paying for Hamas-affiliated terrorist to emigrate to the United States."
    Okay, here's my opinion.  It is wrong for anyone to lie about the president of the United States.  It is especially wrong in the case of BO because the truth is bad enough that lies aren't necessary to make him look bad.
    "Now, as for the money, since the signing of the Oslo Accord (1993) our county has sent $1.3 billion in aid to the Gaza Strip…Have you been complaining of every nickel spent since 1993?I am pretty sure President  Bush would have sent $20.3 million to help the Palestinian refugees."
    To answer your question specifically, YES, I have been bellyaching about every nickel given to any muslim country since 2001 and will continue to do so.  I didn't like it when dubya sent the money and I don't like it now.
    Yeah, dubya might have sent the money a couple years ago.  BUT, a couple years ago, we could  afford it.  Have you looked at the size of BO's spending package?  Your grandchildren's grandchildren will still be paying it off without any additional spending for "refugee assistance" gifts to people who hate us.  The money won't make a difference there.  Look at the 1.3 billion already spent in Gaza since 1993.  It's made a helluva difference in the way they look at us, hasn't it?  Those people hate us.  They hate us for reasons political, religious, economic and cultural.  They'd like to see us -- and the Israelis -- DEAD by sunrise in the morning.  A billion three and it hasn't made any difference and now we're gonna send another 20 million plus hoping this last bit will do the trick.  It AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.  They'll still hate us but they'll be better fed and better armed.

February 20, 2009 at 5:29 p.m.

• Coolgranny
    I respectfully disagree ,that website specifically stated that Obama was paying the $20.3 million to bring Hamas –affiliated terrorist to this country…Obama did no such thing…Story debunked.
    I do agree to a point ,that Israel does not want give up Gaza for security reasons, but I also know that Israel has nukes, a superior military, and the full support of the United States ,so it is not really vulnerable against any Arab nation. The 10,000 settlers and Benjamin Netanyahu are the other reasons Israel might not want to negotiate.
    I thought President Bush was incompetent but that socialist tag can be applied to any US president, since we have Social Security, welfare,FDIC,the Fed and Medicaid.
    Every industrial nation has a socialist component to it…I think socialist is the most misused label…For example our government will nationalize some banks to keep them from failing but not like Sweden ,who just has a few banks…Congress does not know to run a bank ,so it will temporarily take control of the bank ,let them keep their leadership,so it can restructure and then resume its capitalist ways….Some banks will be allowed to fail…I did use the word "nationalize" but IMO the word should be receivership since it is only temporary......I believe I read that you were an educator,so words  matter.
    I went back and checked the Houston Chronicle archives ro see if it mentioned Obama bringing Hamas-affiliated terrorist to the US.....It did not.
    I cut & pasted what they reported.
    A U.S. official says President Barack Obama has authorized more aid to Palestinians in the Gaza Strip to help them recover from damage caused during a recent Israeli offensive. U.S. Middle East envoy George Mitchell said Friday in Jerusalem...

February 20, 2009 at 2:30 p.m.

• Mike, the same information was in the Houstion Chronicle this week. There was no attempt to debunk it. What is the truth? Only the future will tell. I don't trust any faction that is trying to take the Gaza strip away from Israel. If the Palestinians succeed, this will divide Israel in half and leave them vulnerable. Humanitarian aid is one thing, but when we send money to anybody affected by wars, money that could feed their own victims, just gets diverted for more arms. I'm not saying that Bush would not have done the same thing, but I would have disagreed with him on that issue as well. I was just as shocked as anyone when Bush turned out to be the biggest socialist enabler of this decade.

February 20, 2009 at 1:59 p.m.

• Legion357, VBB, coolgranny and waywardwind thanks for the comments but you did not have an opinion on the right-wing blog “New Media Journal” distributing lies about Obama paying for Hamas-affiliated terrorist to emigrate to the United States.
    Study the facts out there…We are not fighting the Palestinians..We need to somehow rid the country of Hamas because they are a fundamentalist, Islamic Resistance Movement that cannot be bargained with.
    The fact that Benjamin Netanyahu is the new prime minister of Israel and the 10,000 settlers (Jewish) in Gaza that do not want to leave ,will make nearly it impossible for George Mitchell to broker a two state solution.
    Don’t be another New Media Journal, look at both sides and stick with the truth.
    ACORN,Hussein  (for a lack of a better word ) is code or skirting the issues...I don't do code or  innuendos....:)

February 20, 2009 at 9:43 a.m.

• I've studied on it and studied on it.  I'm thinkin' that it might make sense to me if MY name was Hussein.

February 20, 2009 at 7:27 a.m.

• Hmmmm, kinda like ACORN did for Obama?

February 19, 2009 at 9:01 p.m.

• Sooooo,

Foreign aid to Isreal, and weapon sales to defend themselves, then foreign aid to the people they use the weapons against?

Then again, it's not any different than any other war. Blow the heck out of em, then pay to rebuild what was blown up.

Nothing new here, same old , same old.

February 19, 2009 at 7:11 p.m.

• This is for the poor uneducated Palestinians...That's the reason Hamas got into power...Bush made it favorable for a democratic election and Hamas passed out money,picked up the garbage and provided other service and the Palestinians fell for it.
    But for the second time "This is about debunking a rumor.

February 19, 2009 at 6:13 p.m.

• Obama's bailout bill? He voted for it like McCain & others but that belongs to Bush.........I believe any president would have done the same but this is about debunking a rumor. ...Sit back and relax because we will always spend money on foreign aid.....We bought off many a tyrant to avoid war and bloodshed.

February 19, 2009 at 6:09 p.m.

• Why should one nickel go to  "individuals who have displayed their overwhelming support of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) in the parliamentary election of January 2006"? Let like minded Islamic folks send that money, or better yet, Hamas folks could use some of their funding to help their own supporters. Tell me how this is going to stimulate growth and strengthen our economy. Who is pulling this man's strings??

February 19, 2009 at 6:07 p.m.

• So exactly WHY should American taxpayers -- already on the hook for so much in BO's bailout bill -- pay a nickle for refugee assistance in Gaza even if they do stay at home?  I know that in the scheme of things, 20.3 million dollars is chicken feed, but why should the chickens in Gaza be getting it?  I know at least ONE taxpayer who'd like to keep his part of that 20.3 million.  I'd be willing to bet a Big Mac to a Whopper that he could find better use for his share of that money than spending it in GAZA!

February 19, 2009 at 5:53 p.m.