Comments

• BigJ
    The best thing going ,is right wing radio because if you give it enough rope ,they will hang themself......For instance Senator Richard Shelby of Alabama had to back down and retract his statement for playing to the crowd..A reporter of a small paper asked him if Obama was a U. S. citizen,Shelby answered "I have not seen his birth certificate" his staff later reworded it to read that he was sure the proper authorities have....Like I said hate rhetoric will work for a awhile but when things get this bad people want solutions or the appearance of trying to find one.....President Obama has the bully pulpit,that trumps the small microphone Rush,Hannity and Joe Pags have....Yesterday's budget seminar news conference showed Obama having a commanding stance  and People like John McCain resorted to complaining about the costs of presidential helicopters and Erik Cantor was just babbling.
    I hear you,it is frustrating.

February 24, 2009 at 9:01 a.m.

• Tafoer
    Liguidity=Being in cash or easily convertible to cash; debt paying ability
    Yes,the money is borrowed from China and Japan(the government will have to repay with interest) but we have not yet opened the printing press.
    Cannot argue the point of printing money leads to inflation but a little inflation would be nice right now,it is far better than deflation...That is what we are trying to avoid.
    Obama does not have a key to the printing press....To my knowledge  the Federal Reserve (Lewis v. United States, 680 F.2d 1239 (1982)stated that that the Federal Reserve Banks are "independent, privately owned and locally controlled corporations", and there is not sufficient "federal government control over ‘detailed physical performance’ and ‘day to day operation’" of the Federal Reserve Bank for it to be considered a federal agency.:

February 24, 2009 at 8:50 a.m.

• The government does not have the liquidity, Obama has the key to the printing press and that will lead to inflation.

February 23, 2009 at 10:15 p.m.

• Hello Legion
    The stimulus is meant to be a spending bill..That's the purpose....Thousands of layoffs,demand down, and credit is not being extended.The government is the only entity with the liquidity to pull it off.
    This particular stimulus is not big enough IMO..Cutting spending will not get us out of this hole,now when we begin on our way up ,we need to be more fiscally responsible...Two different situations.
    I didn't know you asked a question,you seem to have the answer.....
    Barack Obama will spend more money for the banks,housing,and stimulus fixes than any  other president but it needs to be done....Doing nothing is not an option.

February 23, 2009 at 8:10 p.m.

• $1.2 trillion, hmmm, that's chump change compared to what's being proposed. Yeah Obama is going to cut the defiect in half by spending more.

Mike you never commented to my post that the "stimulus" package will cost more than the 6 plus years of the Iraq war. You can say off the books costs all you want, the website I learned that lil tidbit from was without a doubt left leaning.

February 23, 2009 at 7:19 p.m.

• I saw all those posts about the bad mean unions who have outlived their day, backed up with negative personal stories.
    I cannot believe the very same people that have had their benefits scaled back and haven’t had a decent raise in years will praise the corporation and bad mouth the unions because they do not bow down to the corporations…It’s a two way street where I come from…When the CEOs and high paid executives make similar concessions to keep from shipping the jobs overseas then there is some room to negotiate but they will retain their golden parachutes and the corporate jets while they get their kicks because the general public are putting all the blame on the unions.
    The right-wing forgot all about the previous eight years, they now want to be deficit hawks, forgetting the last administration left behind a $1.2 trillion deficit. They continue to berate the stimulus package and consumer confidence follows…It would be understandable if they had a plan.

February 23, 2009 at 6:10 p.m.

• By the way, Mike, it might interest you to know that according to onecrabbylady unions are no longer needed to protect American workers. They just need to disband and let the corporations take care of them. Then we'll bring all of our outsourced jobs back home, everyone will make a wonderful living wage, have excellent benefits and the economic crisis will be over!
    Sometimes I just want to click my heels together 3 times and say, "There's no place like home" so I can wake up from this place called Victoria.

February 23, 2009 at 5:32 p.m.

• Spent a lovely Saturday in Portland and Corpus with all of my Republican family! OMG! Obama can't be worth s---! He hasn't fixed anything yet!
    Somebody call me a psychiatrist! Why do I put up with this? Oh, yeah. They're family and I have to love them!

February 23, 2009 at 5:27 p.m.

• I'm gonna stimulate SA's economy.  I'm sure they'll take my money, unlike Jindal from Louisiana who is posturing and setting himself up for a prez run in '12.   OMG,  a brown man!  Check his birth certificate.
    Yup, section 6.  Right behind the Spurs bench.  If I get mad at Kobe I'll beat up his kneecaps.

February 23, 2009 at 4:54 p.m.

• Dang,Vet you always get to see the good games....Still sitting near the floor with Doc's tickets?...If you are ,don't get yourself ejected for badmouthing Kobe...:)

February 23, 2009 at 4:50 p.m.

• I know we're off topic here, but yeah, it seems to me that T-Mac is injury prone.  The Spurs have  a bad habit of playing down to the level of a bad team.  Wait until Manu comes back.  I'll be in S.A. next month when the Lakers come into town.

February 23, 2009 at 4:43 p.m.

• Hello Vet
    You are right I do just question the intelligence of those that do not check out what might be a rumor. The deal about Obama letting in Hamas trained refugees would have made every front page regardless of the perceived left-wing bias…That would be news.
    I am always amazed of how someone will write a letter- to -the editor, post their name for all to see, and not verify their facts.
    BTW Hate to say this but I think my Rockets are better off without T-Mac but they might not go far in the playoffs (if they make it). I see the Spurs have found some new life.

February 23, 2009 at 3:26 p.m.

• John, you pegged it right, we do not have a “health care system”, and we have a” health care industry”..A for profit industry…The other industrial countries we are competing with do not factor the rising cost of health care in their trade contracts because they subsidize it. So even if we disband the unions and pay the workers $4 an hour, we still couldn’t compete….The green car will start the new economic revolution.
    I am think exactly the opposite John(so what’s new) If more people were insured it would drop the price of insurance…That’s 47 million new customers for the insurance companies…Just like your auto insurance.
    People that are employed at the local plants are not going to purchase any major products because of the possibility of layoffs.
    You are correct about the “sales man” because I heard Arnold do a much better job of selling the stimulus package that the Obama team, who seem to have too many irons in the fire right now.

February 23, 2009 at 2:32 p.m.

• Mike, in reference to your 3rd paragraph, I believe we discussed this several weeks ago.  You know, the people that believe the chain mail that they receive.  Makes one wonder where people's brains are if they can't think for themseves or listen to blowhards who yammer what people want to hear.

February 23, 2009 at 2:13 p.m.

• That's exactly  right,John but the  constant bickering without a solution is a drain on the GOP and I desperately want a two party system.......We need checks and balance.
    The auto industry has a health care problem that they don't seem to want to negotiate away....Foreign cars are not selling either.
    It's the old demand problem..In the 1970s-1980s people saved about 70% of their disposable income,in the 90s it dropped to 50% and in the roaring 2000 ,it went  to 0%.......Now it is back up to 3%. That is good in one way but it will not help an economy that has a demand problem.
    I will have to go read the Yahoo article because I didn't think the stimulus package was really targeted for individuals that much.

February 23, 2009 at 1:48 p.m.