Comments

• Hello Sugar
    I did restrain myself for quite some time but Sunday’s editorial warning without facts left me steaming…The people on the board are responsible people (I assume) and I would like to think they would do their due diligence before writing an editorial.
    I noticed the no response to Gabe’s blog but it won’t deter him a bit. …I guess I should be glad it’s the final installment…Unless he gets an award.
    Have a good one

January 7, 2009 at 9:48 a.m.

• Mike - you're not alone. It's no real surprise that thus far, Gabe's blog asking about what stories we wanted to hear covered in the "Fatal Funnel" (stupidest name EVER!) has had only one response. I think that says everything. I am personally tired of it and it is obvious that the VicAd is looking for sensationalism and a few more journalism prize plaques to hang on the office wall. I understand the interest, and the effort of a newspaper to report on this ongoing violence, BUT it has been done and overdone ad nauseum. ENOUGH ALREADY, VicAd! Remember the story about the little boy that cried wolf? People are starting to tune you out AND I suspect have cancelled subscriptions over this.  I almost replied to Gabe's blog by saying simply, "NONE" but restrained myself for once. Thanks for saying what needs to be said, Mike.

January 6, 2009 at 10:10 p.m.

• Bighorn, I do remember you getting quite upset over the exploration of the 20 people that died in that tragic event…..I agreed but I just ignored the series….Sunday the editorial board advised us to pay heed to Rusty’s warnings..Transplants telling the locals the Mexican drug cartel’s turf wars would eventually drift northward to Victoria…..All this without any crime stats or warnings from law enforcement.
    I got married in El Paso and I have in-laws still living there…The in-laws don’t make the routine trips to Juarez anymore, gang activity has increased, but they don’t fear the cartels will take over El Paso and the local papers are not selling DVDs for $19.95 nor are they repeating local illegal immigration disasters.
    I did get a good laugh when the Minutemen were quoted as being reliable sources.

January 6, 2009 at 8:37 p.m.

• Mike: I repeatedly called out the VicAd for reporting "fringe" elements of the imigration issue, but it seems to sell papers. From the over exploitation of the discovery of the deaths out at Chubbys, to the repeated coverage of "minutemen", film makers, vigilantes, the lone ranger and his strangers, the VicAd is determined to place Victoria had the cross roads of a border shoot out. Despite our geography to the contrary.
    Where are their interviews with the US Border Patrol? Homeland Security? Nowhere.....apparently the truth lies with a bunch of ex-druggies and bubbas with no means of support..

January 6, 2009 at 6:55 p.m.

• Thanks TMICHAELsMOUSTACHE glad I am not alone.
    When the Corpus Christi Caller (closer to the border than us) starts sounding the alarm;then I will take notice.

January 6, 2009 at 4:48 p.m.

• Mike, you are correct. This is a crock of B.S. and we know it.  Just a promotion of The Fatal Funnel and Drug Wars, part of the illicit drug economy. This generates money for Rusty Fleming and The Victoria Advocate.

January 6, 2009 at 4:39 p.m.