Comments

• It is disturbing that such important people would even utter such words.  Considering it was a few professionals & white construction workers who put them in power.  They need to stop with the divisive language & come up with a plan that benefits all, not just a few.  This is the very thing that bothered me about this group from the get go.  I too hope it was edited for shock value.  What bothers me even more is the media has never even mentioned this.  It frightens me what else we don't know.
    The banks are on my last nerve.  We shoulda just let them fail 350 billion dollars ago.  I do hope they put more watchdogs on these vermin to keep them honest.  Chase just tripled my payment on an account that was in good standing & their answer was "because they could".  They also raised my friends interest rate to 30% after they claimed she made 1 late payment that they later admitted was not late (they did not lower her interest).  Needless to say, I am done with Chase,they will never ever have me as a customer again.
    I don't have any answers for our current situation.  The one thing I would like to see ain't gonna happen since saving $ doesn't stimulate anything but me.  I would like to stop taxing interest on savings & see some tax credits for savings.  The paltry amount of interest I have recieved this year will be sucked out in taxes, along with a huge chunk of my savings.  I will be in an extremely foul mood come April.
    Let me know what youu find out about this clip.  For the good of our country I pray it was taken out of context.

January 26, 2009 at 11:17 p.m.

• I did watch it but I had a 2 second gap and that piece seems to be edited and the words after that piece are meant to misleading but Reich and Charlie Rangel are very liberal and like some Republicans want it all to go as tax cuts for corporations so I am not really that surprised about Reich & Rangle motives.
    I hope they did not say that because stimulus package is not supposed to be a affirmative action or a welfare to work program...I have seen in other places where the house democrats put up the Christmas tree and all the ornaments without involving the GOP..This draft will be done over before it comes up for house debate then the senate will bring it back to reality....Like children the Dems are trying to flex their muscle but Obama pledged no interest groups and it will be bipartisan ,even thou he had to give Cantor a verbal spanking..:)
    I saw your post in another thread and I wondered where that came from.
    Thanks for the clip ,now I 've got to do a little researching ..I can't believe them ,our country is deep financial trouble and some are just trying to please their interest groups and one bailed out bank was trying to purchase a corporate jet.

January 26, 2009 at 7:11 p.m.

• Lol... I didn't trump you...that was the end of  Obamas "I won" comment.  He trumped Rep. Cantor.   : )
    Were you able to check out that video or did it screw up again?  If it did, the upshot of it was this........Robert Reich & Chuck Hagel were on C-Span discussinf the new stimulus bill & both agreed they didn't want the money going to professionals or "white male construction workers", not that they had any issues with them, they just wanted to target minorities with the money & not white men.

January 26, 2009 at 6:37 p.m.

• I really don't who keeping who in check...:) I apologized twice and VBB said she trumped me..lol
    It's still Victoria,I throw out one dagger and ten come hurling back at me...Full time body vest.
    It passes the time.

January 26, 2009 at 1:53 p.m.

• Though they seem the same, the live link is the one I was shooting for.

January 25, 2009 at 7:40 p.m.

• Sorry, I screwed that link up. I'll try it again........http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxuUj6vFa4    .........................  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxuUj...

January 25, 2009 at 7:39 p.m.

• Dang ,Vet I wish I would have thought of that;it would have saved me all the typing..:)...Good point.
    Come to think abou it,its the same thing without saying "I have capital and I am going to use it"...:)

January 25, 2009 at 1:58 p.m.

• Hello dobama
    Ethics reform is very high on my list because it is the only way people will ever trust government again. That is the reason I switched from supporting Hillary (all those lobbyist) to Obama. I was disappointed when Obama opted out of public financing but I understood why. His web based contribution center was unsurpassable and he would have you get elected before he could institute change by example..Another slip (Lynn) but I guess it’s like a diet; easy to fall off the wagon…Still not an excuse since I suspect the Undersecretary could be filled by many; it’s not the Treasury Secretary.
    Yes, Obama is getting some flak from his own party leaders Pelosi & Reid but I expected that but I still embrace the three branches of government equal but separate…Hard to keep those egos in check.
    Point taken on the draft and lack of personnel but I still insist we do not need so many contractors. We are able to sit back in Florida (6000 miles) and pick off al Qaeda leaders with the use of our satellites and technology; like we did in Pakistan the other day….I still remember when the GAO made a surprise inspection, only to find our private contractors lost a lot of ammunition and arms that was found on dead al Qaeda terrorist. Serial numbers were never recorded on the invoices etc…That never would have happened if the army and marine people would have been in charge…..IMO ,the more contractors we have; the less control we have over the situation.
    Yes Jeremy Urban gives me that Victoria connection…Go Cardinals.

January 25, 2009 at 1:55 p.m.

• Maybe his "I won" statement is his version of "Im the decider".

January 25, 2009 at 1:33 p.m.

• Mike,
    I've been off-line but thanks for your comments and apology accepted. I am not short on sarcasm,  but I hope it is taken as sarcastic humor or humorous sarcasm, whichever. I do take ethics reform very serious and believe it was part of the problem with the Bush administration and one of the biggest problems we have in politics (federal, state & local) in this country and maybe even society as a whole.
    I am going to give Mr. Obama time with a watchful eye. I do not agree with his platform or agenda. I am no more balanced than you but I do attempt to be fair. I'm conservative, socially, fiscally and personally (my wife says that means tightwad). It does seem that his own party placed some of the biggest hurdles he’s had to deal with in his short time there.  While the partisan talking heads are always going to nit-pick, they also point out inconsistencies for which I'm grateful. I'm sometimes too busy to catch as much news as I would like.
    Reading the thread about contractors etc, I only add that when you were in the service I believe we had a draft and actually had more people in the armed forces than we do as an all-volunteer force. We also have a more specialized force, as a whole, and maybe we cannot afford to have soldiers cooking and doing lesser task. Security does not fall into that category so I cannot say why we don’t do all security “in house” so to speak.
    Enjoy this football-less weekend. Next week, go Cardinals.

January 25, 2009 at 1:12 p.m.

• Riverboat
    I agree we are going to disagree from time to time and dissent is the patriotic thing to do and it is in our DNA to let others know about it…..Like it or lump it is good way of putting it.
    I didn’t understand the references to “War on Poverty” etc.
    Legion357
    Yes I misspelled Blackwater-----Thanks.
    I disagree with your assessment on contractor services.
    When I was in the service (1964-67) we had our own cooks, supply personnel, and security details and they were accountable. We have about 150,000 private contractors (State Dept. unable to control them) in Iraq…Way too many and much too expensive.

January 25, 2009 at 9:40 a.m.

• VBB
    At the time I saw the “I won” comment Thursday or Friday night’s on MSNBC’s Countdown with Keith Olbermann ;Howard Fineman (Newsweek)was reporting a leak and at the same time MSNBC was showing a clip centering on John Boehner but as your source indicted it was Eric Cantor he was talking to. ...OK,I’ll buy that (details) but the segment went on to explain the meaning of that particular statement. Obama was sending a message through Cantor ,to the rest of the GOP. …The story did not have identified sources but Mr. Fineman said it was a controlled leak.
    You can take the “I won” comment as arrogant and not caring about what anyone else thinks but to me he was saying “Look I will listen to your ideas but the people elected him and his ideas”. According to Fineman he was also trying to inject a little backbone into the Democratic Party to act like winners. After the 2006 Democratic sweep; Bush and the GOP continued to get things their way like “Stay the course” and being scared into quickly signing the domestic spying legislation..Congress’s poll numbers started on a downfall after that. The Democratic Party will either get the credit for the economic stimulus plan or they will start on a never ending tailspin if it fails. Obama is saying the electorate voted them in because they favored their ideas; with that comes ownership and responsibly.
    Your source for UTube gave several clips t o choose from…Which one was meant to be seen?

January 25, 2009 at 9:26 a.m.

• Oh,BTW, you were wrong about who he made that comment to & why, here it is.......
    In an exchange with Rep. Eric Cantor (R-Va.) about the proposal, the president shot back: "I won," according to aides briefed on the meeting.
    "I will trump you on that."

January 24, 2009 at 10:49 p.m.

• That comment about "he won" bothered me.  He is basically saying he doesn't care what anyone else thinks if it's contrary to his belief because "he won".  Struck me as childish & dictatorial.  Now here's a clip from C-Span, what do you make of this....oops...not that, though I find it funny.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxuUj6vFa4...that one.

January 24, 2009 at 10:10 p.m.

• Point taken Mike ,
     As far as the Blackwater, not Backwater, and Halliburton contracts, what do you suggest should have happened?

Put them out for bids? That is just fine if there where 6 monthes or so to review the bids and award one to the lowest bidder.

That was not the case, things had to be done ASAP, and to be honest, there where only two choices about services, Halliburton or Zachery, and Halliburton had the resources to get it done now.

The security issue, I admit, I don't know much about which companies could have bid on the contract or that would be able to be in Iraq ASAP.

Even tho the Iraq war was a mistake, and yes I think it was, the marines and soldiers on the ground needed services NOW, not in 6 monthes.

January 24, 2009 at 6:21 p.m.

• Hello Legion357
    I will ask you the same question I asked John….. Do you go into the right-wingers Advocate blogs and correct them for being partisan?
    The Treasury Secretary nominee is the best person for the job despite his admitted mistakes. That’s my opinion…. If you scroll down you will see that I have already taken a mea culpa for the nomination of the Undersecretary…… Then again I never heard from the right when Bush administration issued no-bid contracts to big-time donors to the  GOP such as Backwater and Halliburton.. Tit for tat? Not really I have already made my opinion about Mr. Lynn. ..I think Obama made a mistake because we should not have a shortage of candidates for that position. It’s not like Treasury Secretary.
    Leading Republicans and conservatives complained because Sarah Palin was not vetted and she was the second in line to the president. That was a 2008 campaign I think the presidency is much different. Campaigns can do no harm. That's my opinion...She was not qualified and it showed.
    Let me be clear; my avatar, blogs, and postings are left of center so it should not come to any surprise to anyone that I am not an Independent or moderate. Several blogs and postings are right of center and I proudly write from the left. Like I continue to say "I am not running for prom king or president of the student council" so I am just stating my opinion and I am not under any illusion that it is fair and balanced or that everyone will agree.
    I was not complaining at all, I was mocking the right for their eight years of silence. In my last paragraph I wrote” The threads and the blogs are becoming quite entertaining.”
    Have a good week-end

January 24, 2009 at 5:14 p.m.

• Well gee Mike, your complaining that the right is complaining?¿?¿?

All of us are in this together, I'll give Obama a chance.

But a rayethon lobbyist, ex or otherwise, for deputy  secretary of defense?  Not to mention a treasury secretary who "forgot or didn't know he had to" to pay his taxes until he was nominated?

Geez, and everyone was asking who on McCains staff vetted Palin, let's be fair here if your blogging about " And now they protest".

Those two choice IMO, fall into the same category.

January 24, 2009 at 3:10 p.m.

• dohbama
    I owe you two apologies
    1) For doubting your sincerity…I had no proof to doubt
    2) I was wrong about William Lynn

It took Col. Lawrence Wilkerson (former Colin Powell aide) and liberal talk show host Rachel Maddow to point out that William Lynn had deep ties to Raytheon and now he will be chief procurement officer. That will be a conflict of interest….I railed against the no bid contracts and cronyism by the Bush Administration, so it would be hypocritical of me to give Obama a pass on this even thou Mr. Lynn will be barred from signing off on any dealings the Defense Department for a year and will have to submit his contracts for scrutiny after that…Obama could of done better.
    As for your humor; well these posts leave a lot to the imagination some could mistake it for sarcasm…After reading all the negative threads the last few days I just figured yours was status quo.
    Contrary to popular belief ;only now am I actually evaluating Obama while he is actually making decisions (not kool-aid) and I am beginning to see his leadership qualities.
    Yesterday, during the Stimulus Packages summit John Boehner(GOP house minority leader) tried to bully the new president by threatening support and holding more tax cuts as ramsom, it leaked ot that Obama turned to Pelosi and Reid and asked them if they had the votes to pass the package. They assured him they did; so he turned to Boehner and reminded him that he will listen but he won and the democrats gained the most seats;so America spoke…He gave a little backbone to the Democrats…He reminded me of what a young John Kennedy did when confronting Lyndon Johnson and others.
    I have criticized the Democratic Party via a blog and Obama when he signed the FISA bill but I don't pretend to be a moderate or an Independent for convenience, I am a proud partisan Democrat.

January 24, 2009 at 9:44 a.m.

• Well Mike,
    You will have to believe what you want but I was impressed with his speech on ethics reforms. This guy, Bill Lynn, doesn't have ties to lobbyist he is a lobbyist and he lobbies for a contractor to which he will be issuing contracts, purchase orders etc. Sorry I interrupted your love fest. i didn't attack anyone or present unsubstantiated statements. I just brought up some reality that might be uncomfortable for the kool-aid drinkers. I also like to inject a little humor to an otherwise bland blog. I just don't put LOL after every comment because, well frankly, it's sort of lame. Don’t be so knee jerk devoted, learn that Mr. Obama will make some mistakes, in fact he already has made several. I’m being respectful, I just respectfully disagree with this choice and turning our judicial system upside down to put the animals at gitmo on trial.

January 23, 2009 at 7:13 p.m.

• After 3 days Legion357 said politcs as usual?.....

January 23, 2009 at 7:01 p.m.

• dohbama
    Get real ,everyone I know expects a few  bumps in the road  so save it for your right wing buddies.....I have been keeping up with politics for a long time and I knew everyone in Washington has ties to lobbyist ..Tom Dashle was a big time lobbyist but he has pledge not to lobby the committee he represents for five years after he leaves.......Read the whole story Obama would not have a cabinet without lobbist...He said they will have a seat at the table just not all the seats..The party of Jack Abramoff and Tom DeLay cannot throw stones.....K Street Project?..I was impressed with his speech...lol    Excuse me for not believing that....

January 23, 2009 at 6:59 p.m.

• Well dohBama,

I always thought the only change would be a new POTUS, politics as usual, the big old beast called the Federal government just keeps on keeping on.

No offense to Obama, but even tho he is "the head guy" , did anyone think all the thousands of federal employees would see any change? We are talking about the biggest company in the US here.

January 23, 2009 at 6:53 p.m.

• Total exaggerations dohbama ,I just heard a general say we release detained prisoners everyday in Iraq and Afghanistan and yes they do go back to the battlefield against us....The point is put them on trial or kill them on the battlefield...Obama has agreed to keeping a few indefinately....He never said he was going to release them on American streets...You have a vivid negative imagination.
    You broke up a string of good comments.
    It's not  as if Bush had a foreign policy that was any good...We attacked a country that had nothing to do with 9/11, Iran became more dangerous because of it, China grew, and North Korea tested some missiles because our attention was wrongly diverted to Iraq.
    The joint chiefs,Hillary ,Joe Biden and the rest of the Obama will work on restoring our relations with our allies.

January 23, 2009 at 6:49 p.m.

• How long ago was it that Mr. Obama said "no lobbyist in my administration" was it before or after Mr. Obama named Bill Lynn as deputy secretary of defense?
    Mr. Lynn is a lobbyist for Raytheon.
    It's Ok, we'll just give him a waiver. A lobbyist for the fourth largest defense contractor couldn't possibly have a conflict of interest issue.
    The revolving door continues to spin.
    I was so impressed with his speech on the subject. I'm disappointed.

January 23, 2009 at 6:46 p.m.

• I have to wonder how many of those rejoicing nations want the gitmo prisoners released in their country. The home countries don't want them back. It's already been proven that released terrorist have returned to commit terrorist acts against innocent civilians. I still say we should let John Murtha house them in his back yard and have the Marines he falsely accused guard them.
    I'm sure now that Mr. Obama has told Hamas and Hezbollah to "cut it out y'all, play nice and get along" everything will settle down over there and we won't have to worry about that part of the world again. Sleep well all, Mr. Obama will be issuing cease-and-desists orders to Iran, Venezuela and N. Korea next.

January 23, 2009 at 6:28 p.m.

• Very true Mike,
     My dog agrees with me to, especially at supper time. lol

January 23, 2009 at 6:22 p.m.

• I am in total agreement Legion.
    I can tell when the left is pulling my chain but I just think its amusing how many people repeat their talking points on either side when the facts are out there .
    I would like to just make a point and get an honest rebuttal...I don't think we attack each  other but just disagree from time to time....Only my dog agrees 100% of what I say...At least I think so.

January 23, 2009 at 6:18 p.m.

• Frankly, I don't see any reason for one or the other of the political parties to be so caught up in what right wing or left wing supposed pundits have to say, whether they be on radio, cable channels or blogs.

All of those people are PAID to say what they do depending on there followers demographics. They all have there own personal beliefs as we all do and that does influence their opinions.

However, whichever gospel they preach is just that, their gospel. And not one thing they say is going to make a bit of differance one way or the other, there only purpose is to draw which side they are preaching to into agreeing with their views and demonizing the other. After all that's why they get paid.

January 23, 2009 at 6:08 p.m.

• I saw that but Obama said yesterday it would take up to a year....It was never going to be instant oatmeal and it was never thought to be easy...But the message was sent,

January 23, 2009 at 6:05 p.m.

• Was just on the news, they don't know what to do with the detainees.  6 months to explore the possibilities, more like 6 months hoping that those that actually care about it, will forget.

January 23, 2009 at 5:59 p.m.

• Ah for the lack of reading.
    The five invited relatives of 9/11 victims oppose such a move...Not everyone is line with this move ...They will not be released but be moved to the US prisons..We do have American born murders here so what's the differance?....You cannot put a tortured defendant on trial...Read what Judge Susan Crawford said about a taint on justice.
    On closing Gitmo
    I could get sources from the Guardian,BBC, Jerusalem Post etc...

January 23, 2009 at 5:59 p.m.

• The world is "rejoicing" about Get-Mo closing????.....not according to CNN and the other news channels.  The 911 families are livid and protesting and even some of the Dems are asking some very pointed questions about what is going to happen to these people.  I hardly think the word "rejoicing" is appropriate.

January 23, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.

• John
    You would be more believable with the peace and harmony speech if you posted that on every right-wingers blog as well.
    I suspect you won't do that because you know conservatives outnumber the democrats and you don't want to make waves with them and they would tell you where to get off....I will be watching...lol
    I was not born yesterday;I been around the block....I know the shell game of patriotism,peace and Harmony.

January 23, 2009 at 5:01 p.m.

• SmarteePantz
    If they only made a little bit of sense....I understand an honest difference on policy matters but we tried it the Republican way and we bottomed out..They don't see that.
    Goliadchica
    I used to love to tune to Rush,Billo, & Hannity just to hear their spin on the poll numbers  and loss,etc.

January 23, 2009 at 4:48 p.m.

• Mike, napalm and c-rats.

January 23, 2009 at 4:42 p.m.

• No John 20% are still complaining 24% of the 44% have decided to give Obama a chance.

January 23, 2009 at 4:42 p.m.

• Vet ..I thought it was the smell of napalm in the morning.

January 23, 2009 at 4:40 p.m.

• I love the sound of heads exploding in the morning.

January 23, 2009 at 4:36 p.m.

• Goliad--
    I can hardly add anything to your comments.  You are 100% correct.
    Just this very day, true story here, I was in the fair city of, well, let's just call it a small berg in Dewitt/Lavaca county.
    Overheard the sales clerk in a store talking to an apparent acquaintence.  She was commenting on what a bad President Obama is!  I couldn't believe that she was, but then again, this is what the republicans do.  They believe everyone needs to share their opinions, and are very quick to let you know what it is, even if you didn't ask.
    I love Jon Stewart.  And this is brilliant!  Well said, Mike.
    "The threads and the blogs are becoming quite entertaining because a lot of posters trying to outdo each other in asking the new president to do everything he campaigned for by the end of the week or he is just another lying politician. If only they would have been as vocal in the previous eight years; we might not have been in this predicament we are in today."

January 23, 2009 at 4:27 p.m.

• Hannity was almost crying during inauguration day.  I thought he might commit suicide.
    I don't think it's ever un-American or in poor taste to point out the utter hypocrisy of the Republicans and Neo-Conservatives.
    Jon Steward points out everything on both sides - he gives everyone a hard time if they are BS-ing the public.  If he didn't, you wouldn't have seen Bush's mouthpiece Dana whatshername on the show a week or so ago or John McCain.
    Why don't the loudmouths - the ones who insist on using our President's middle name to try to inflame the other idiots who don't think for themselves - just get off their high horses, shut the hell up, and sit back and wait to see what happens?
    Oh yeah, it's because they are all so full of themselves and so self-righteous that they can't see past their noses.
    That's okay - we see you for who you are.  And so did the rest of the country.
    I can finally see Texas going back to blue and the Repubes party becoming as irrelevant as they used to be.
    When Texas had representatives that represented all of us instead of the rich people and their businesses.
    I for one wish you all would just shut up - I'm so tired of your stupid rhetoric.  Sean Hannity is a full-on wuss with his buddies O'Reilly and Limbaugh.  Screeching harpies.

January 23, 2009 at 4:11 p.m.

• The last president had a 22% approval and the most incompetent president in my lifetime and I admitted in the first paragraph that I never bought into Hannity or Billo's rhetoric.
    Au contraire I am enjoying the silliness and I just gave the source of the clips...It could have have from Fox, CNN ,ABC it was old clips.
    The reason I am enjoying this: Barack Obama is enjoying a 80% approval so most of the country is patient with him right now but its the 20%  are still doing the same things that lost them the last election...People want solutions not the same food fights over idealogy...If the Republicans come up with some good solutions they will be rewarded.
    Lol O'Reilly and Hannity were lapdogs and every one knows it.
    A war involving Hamas and Israel is turned into an abortion. ananogly......I never figured you for a one trick pony Sandwichh...That's a lot of stretching to come to that conclusion.

January 23, 2009 at 3:32 p.m.

• PBHO and his supporters are getting the same respect they gave the last president got since 1999.
    You had to see it coming. If you dish it out like the playground bully you should learn to take it.
    As if Jon Stewart did not beat up Rep. He is an entertainer, not a journalist. And a left sided entertainer at that. Nothing balanced ever comes out of his mouth. At least Hannity and O'Reilly would slam Bush hard when he deserved it. Like to hear Stewart, Matthews, Olbermann, Maddow and CNN do the same for your side. Would be refreshing.

"the stopping of killing of innocent civilians"
    Except a viable baby coming through the birth canal. Obama will allow it to be almost born, stopped with it's head still in, have holes drilled in the baby's skull and its brains sucked out. I would say that is the most innocent civilian.

January 23, 2009 at 3:10 p.m.