Comments

• No dispute at all Mike. I was just asking a simple question. And J, kenneth is on his own. I have no dealings with him. But I am not the one you want to start anything with. I have done nothing to you and I expect the same respect.

August 4, 2009 at 3:15 p.m.

• Turkey
    I did not know I was being questioned but here is the answer as I know it.

The Annenberg Foundation is a private family foundation that provides funding and support to nonprofit organizations in the United States and globally. The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in 1994 to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state and federal levels.

The APPC(Factcheck.org) accepts NO funding from business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. It is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.

The charity of the late publisher Walter Annenberg. was a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania and get funding from the Annenberg Foundation, created by Walter Annenberg in 1989.

Now, in a six degrees of Kevin Bacon sort of way, Obama did context a board for a Chicago proposal to the Annenberg Foundation was the 1988 decentralization of the city's public schools by the Republican-controlled Illinois legislature, a response to frustration over years of teachers' strikes, low achievement, and bureaucratic failure. ... The proposal was backed by letters of support to the Annenberg Foundation from Illinois Gov. Jim Edgar, a Republican, local education school deans, the superintendent of the Chicago public schools, and the heads of local foundations.
    Among the mainstream Chicago luminaries on Obama's board was Arnold R. Weber, a former president of Northwestern University, who in 1971 was appointed by Republican President Richard Nixon as executive director of the Cost of Living Council and who later was tapped by Republican President Ronald Reagan to serve on an emergency labor board. More recently, Weber has given $1,500 to John McCain's presidential campaign this year.

Factcheck.org is used by all the major news media, both political parties, and was used exclusively in the 2008 election without anyone being suspicion of its bias or conflict of interest…

Now perhaps you can produce a credible source to dispute my posting.

August 4, 2009 at 2:07 p.m.

• Well, it sure seemed like you tried to make one because of the fact it had nothing to do with the question that was posed to Mike.

August 4, 2009 at 1:26 p.m.

• That's right, I didn't stutter. I asked a simple question but instead of an answer, you reply with a half hearted, lame, I guess that was supossed to be an insult. Like I said I could care less about any of those over blown jackass's. I am not a republican, democrat, liberal or conservitive. I listen to all the elections before I make my desicion. So, all your little comments..i.e. Liar, rush this, shawn that..have absolutly no effect on me. You can play your little childish games with somebody else.

August 4, 2009 at 1:09 p.m.

• You act like that is supossed to bother me? I could care less about him. All they do is rant and rave about useless facts, like alot of people in here. My statement had nothing to do with Rush or Shawn or any of those overblown gum flapping air heads, so why would you feel the need to try to resort to the insults of a child? I asked a simple question that I have heard numerous times about Obama being on the board of factchecker.org.

August 4, 2009 at 12:50 p.m.

• Doesn't Obama sit on the board of Factcheck.org?

August 4, 2009 at 9:13 a.m.

• Legion357
    You ask a very good question, but I cannot give you a specific answer but yes the government does provide Congress, the administration, and all Federal employees excellent Health Care benefits, that’s why I laugh every time I hear a Republican legislator talk about the evils of government healthcare.

Democrats who followed the democratic primary election heard a lot about Health Care Reform because it was one of the main issues that was debated. Hillary Clinton had the original template, John Edwards had a slightly different version and so did Barack Obama.; after the election Barack Obama incorporated Hillary’s employer and individual mandates penalty. During the primaries Barack Obama just wanted to ensure all the children, as you well know the party changed his mind. In all reality, the president is at the mercy of his party and, proving that the separation of powers really worked. He has learned that the healthcare lobbyist has a stranglehold on Washington. The healthcare issue is so complex that the lobbyists have control of this issue. Poll numbers for Health Care reform have trended down dramatically because of the demonization and complexity. I think you will get your wish, if we have any Health Care reform at all, it will be a water -downed version. The poor and unemployed do not have a lobbyist group to work for them.

July 31, 2009 at 11:41 a.m.

• you just have to keep the faith that the democrats and those pervert republicans do what's right for this great country of our's!

July 30, 2009 at 9:39 p.m.

• Mike,

Back to the subject. ABC now sleeps in the whitehouse. They released the following today. When Obama became president his rating was 83% and slid to the 68% because of some issues. Here is the history of the ABC polls. These are not republican histronics. I have a tendency not to listen to the soup de jour. But it is interesting that the television network who works now with Obama is showing these polls. This is their guy. These are based on phone calls from the next to last week in July.

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as president?

-------- Approve ---
    NET Strongly Somewhat
    7/18/09 59 38 22 37
    6/21/09 65 36 29 31
    4/24/09 69 42 27 26
    3/29/09 66 40 26 29
    2/22/09 68 43 25 25

-- Disapprove ------ No
    NET Somewhat Strongly
    7/18/09 9 28 4
    6/21/09 10 22 4
    4/24/09 8 18 4
    3/29/09 9 20 5
    2/22/09 8 17 7

Sorry if they come out messy, squinch your eyes

July 30, 2009 at 7:41 p.m.

• BigJ

My comment about the past, was based on your comment regarding all that demeaned you and now they were going to get theirs! I never if you read it indicated anything about slavery.

If people are still doing it today then we need to build bridges not hate. As I have said, I have a rainbow family and if I was somewhere with my nephew and and an ignorant redneck started something -- again I'd say my mother raised me better than them.

But be careful and hopefully not carry a tipped shoulder or warring eye as you so indicate in your comment. That automatically will put someone else on edge. Body language is a tell all.

But if someone still is a racist, where did they come from -- can you help change them instead of fight them. I had a communications teacher in college that would throw us together with different races and people to learn and grow.

After you hear stories of people seeing their families killed, or a villiage put up the money to save her from going into prostitution, or they were in a boat for 30 days and had said their last prayers and expected to die --their villiage was the one behind the famous picture of the girl running with the burnning chemicals on her. Or hearing stories of being tied upside down to be shamed and villiagers walking by to hit you with sticks.

You learn not to feel so superior. I will say each and everyone of these people did enter the country legally. They were from African countries and Asian countries. What was done to the women in African --the woman telling me with tears pouring down her face and me holding her. There was no issue of racism.

So I can get angry and talk about issues. But I really dispise people that automatically lump all "whites" and assume we will treat you the same. Now if you are a pain after I meet you, it would not be because of color.

But inflamatory comments you make about us getting ours. I resent. You don't know me personally. You don't know what I would stand up and fight for if I had to. I may not believe exactly like you. But I believe in the right to have the right to believe.

I think you do to -- look a common ground.

So don't assume I don't like you because of something I have not even seen. However, I will be angry and not tolerate you making personal assumptions and race baiting comments to me and thinking I am like everyone else. Until you walk in my shoes, don't ever try to do that again.

July 30, 2009 at 6:46 p.m.

• Mike,

I agree, only God will know what the Republican party will appear as at the next elections in Houston, Victoria, accross the state, and the US.

They would not listen to their constituents and got to big for their britches. It happens to every party over time. Then there is an overhaul.

The democratic party may have a collective vote, but there are so many individual "I wants" -- that is why the bills are so cumbersome and unclear -- trying to satisfy all.

If we could only take time to write clearly, concisely, and really think about the future of American instead of rushing.

I am appauld (sp) at the new bill that is about studying people and their beliefs about energy and the need to use tools to manipulate their beliefs and actions. I have been hearing, but want to read the entire bill, before I totally roll over like a turtle in the road. $10 million dollars is it?

July 30, 2009 at 6:23 p.m.

• Ok Mike,

The non-postal government private insurance plan pays 65% of the premiums for FORMER employees out of the stimulus plan, that begs the question
    "What percentage of current government agency employees health care is paid by us, the tax payers?"

Is it 70%? 75%? or more? A much better deal than any person working for a non-governmental company receives.

I guess that explains where some of the stimulus money has gone. True it expanded unemployment benefits for the tax payers, also for the federal employees who also had 65% of their health care paid, a little extra bonus for working, FORMERLY, for a government agency. But then again, it did save some of the private insurance company s employees their job,in a way job creation I guess.

My point is, is that the government provides it s own agency employees with a very nice health care plan at a very affordable cost to the employees, current or former.

But yet the huge push to change the rules for private or publicly traded businesses who offer private insurance plans, (just like the government does for it s own employees).

Let me ask this, you have provided links to the complete health care reform bill and you seem to know what is in it, so will the government change their employees health care plans?
    OR will they continue to offer excellent plans to current or former employees at a 35% or less employee contribution?

July 30, 2009 at 6:22 p.m.

• BigJ,

You confuse me with someone else. I have nevery used those derrogatory names when addressing you. I may totally disagree with you. And I have said that in many comments that I knew we would not reach agreed terms... But my mother taught us to never us such term ever. But you know,

I get sick of hearing whitey and cracker and the N word from the same people who complain so much. I was totally devistated when I first went to a large college and was sitting on a bench behind someone. The comment was he really hated whities. They stink. He did not like being around them and their smell.

The young man knew the entire time I was sitting on the bench behind him. You hate what you are called. Well that day I wanted to take 2x4 to him and then wash his mouth out with palmolive soap. Because he knew I was there, he was race baiting. But my mother had taught me better. I said a prayer and wished his mother had.

So your poor comment about now you getting yours. That is a cop out for being rude and obnoxious. Any one can do that. Standing up and being a man, professional, educated, kind and considerate takes a lot of work. And obviously you are not wanting to or not capable of doing so. Thus you have publically shown with your vile comments that lack the compassion and understanding to change and bridge gaps and build a better futher. You can't let go of the past.

July 30, 2009 at 6:16 p.m.

• And Big J,

You too are making ASSumptions. I am not a Glen Beck follower. I am a free mind that reads constantly from documents, research, and materials from all over the world.

Obviously being narrowminded limits your ability to understand that women hate derrogatory names and slurs.

July 30, 2009 at 6:07 p.m.

• Mike,

I am not quoting anyone.

1. the waitress. My husband is older. He called service providers sweetie and honey and the looks were shriveling. So I worked very hard on cognitive behavior that made him change his ways for good. Women did not need demeaning comments. So spit in your eye!!

Now for the meetings with Acorn and SECIU, I have seen the videos myself and made UP MY OWN MIND. I did not bring up a point because it would seem racist, but on those videos, Obama, drops into black street talk to the group. Why. My point was, he has not offered the opportunities to any Indian, Chinese, Viet Namese, Burmese, Australian, or Mexican or just plain ole white people. Never has to date. So his practices show racist actions whether intentional or not.

Mike, if you can think of anything intelligent to say and drop to the same old derrogatory vilification, your actions illustrate that you are following the common practice of a large group of people who can't debate their own beliefs very well.

I said these were MINE. I am not a recorder. I am not a person of any specific party. I am an American that is disappointed it what could have been the greatest term but has turned into a debacle.

Shame on you for accusing people of not having the knowledge and education and being a parrot. Grow up and have an adult conversation.

July 30, 2009 at 6:04 p.m.

• lol...The democratic party is not what it use to be for all-....They swept the last two elections with a diverse demographic.

The GOP is a southern regional party.
    Look at the make-up of the republican party at the next presidential conventions..Just like it was in the 50s.

July 30, 2009 at 6:01 p.m.

• See BigJ
    ..#1 Cataahula is qutoing Glenn Beck and you know how reliable he is..lol
    ...#2 Obama called the waitress "sweetie" and he apologized.ooooh bad president..lol

The rest is just an excuse to pull out the reverse race card...Pretty pathetic.

Got to go.

July 30, 2009 at 5:52 p.m.

• BigJ

After the election, I decided not to engage anymore, besides the right-wing blogs are usually outdated and most are just cut & paste paranoid material….The comment section is mostly gibberish, the kind of stuff you can hear 24/7 on right-wing hate radio.

July 30, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.

• BigJ,

Instead of calling names, please provide oppositional facts which are clean and can be clearly debated. I know you are intelligent and have it in you.

As for myself I use the following as indications of at least racial favortism or bias:

1. The special meetings with ACORN and SECIU which have recorded evidence of the man speaking and promising these two groups access and input to all planning by the white house that no other ethnic group in the United States has or will receive.

2. The use of derrogatory demeaning name calling of a waitress which he had to apologize for later.

3. The attack on a white police officer because of an issue that involved a black man who happened to be his friend. And that same friend is known for writing and speaking with referrals to "whitey". If you sleep with that dog you get those fleas.

4. That same trend goes with going to the church of Reverand Wright for what at least 17 years. Where Obama was required as all leaders in that church to take a pledge of allegence to their flag to adhere to and follow the Black Value System. As such, this extrapolates to the problems Obama had wearing the US Flag or saying a pledge to it. Though I admire a person for such conviction, through the seventeen years that church under Wright continually espoused racial sermons and attacks, they are recorded. But Obama denies hearing them. Huh?

5. Now we have a beer summit going on because of Obama's charged comments of which he never apologized to the nation for having made such a public gaff. And the beer fest was not Obama's idea, Crowley came up with it when Obama was talking to him and trying to regain face.

6. Deleted

7. IMO The man is a black activist not an activist for all races and individuals in this United States. That saddens me. The democratic party at one time was to be a reflection of all peoples. I too have participated in both parties and made it to state activities for presidential candidates and such. The democratic party is not what it use to be for all---you just think it is at the grass root level.

8. He may not realize that these perceptions are being conceived or he may. I did not vote for him but I did give him the benefit trying. All I have seen is distruction of America and I can't fathom why he wants to do it unless he wants to destroy what our forefathers created and employ the black value system that he has been indoctrinated with and which would be racist against all other races in America.

July 30, 2009 at 5:32 p.m.

• Hello BigJ
    Turkey also posted a cut& paste from a right-wing blog on Obama's so-called 6 months of mistakes ,word for word, without so much as a credit to the website.

July 30, 2009 at 5 p.m.

• Mike,

I don’t suckle on the teat of either political party and am not persuaded or impressed by political pong. Can you explain in detail to folks like me who don’t have burdensome, objectivity-destroying allegiances how nationalized heath care will benefit America in the long term? Will we be healthier in 50 years because of it or in spite of it? Will it be more successful that other government ventures into health care? And please don’t overlook how our government fails at nearly EVERYTHING it ever does on a national scale. Please present other instances of how government intervention lowered the cost or improved the quality of a service or product. Also, take a moment to consider the ways government already intervenes in our health care system and ponder the impact.

I’ll get you started:
    - HMO Act of 1973 (created those horrible HMOs)
    - Non-negotiable Medicare prescription drug plan (maximum cost boondoggle!)
    - Medicare & Medicaid (10s of trillions in unfunded liabilities)

Now consider the culture our welfare system has created. Instead of being a safety net, it’s an inescapable black hole. Plus, the GAO projects Social Security to be a $40-50T liability. When will the experiment with my grandkids’ futures end?!

What’s keeping our current health care system from operating in and benefitting from a true free market, like for instance, the MP3 player, computer or cell phone markets? In most other free markets open to competition, prices go down and quality increases over time. (We haven’t had a true free market in decades, but there’s still enough competition to partially simulate market forces.)

Please try to convince me that central planning works, and leave out all the emotional talking points. Talk to me like I’m Murray Rothbard.

Oh, one more question: How long will I have to wait for surgery to repair the sphincters that have been annihilated by the taxman?

July 30, 2009 at 4:15 p.m.

• Turkey said” he was on record on CNN talking about charging our soldiers for their health care. When the point was made that these people have volenteared to fight and die for their country he stated " that's just it, they volenteared, nobody made them join".

This is what that Factcheck.org had to say about that chain e-mail you are quoting.

This chain e-mail contains fabricated quotes and misrepresents a budget idea that the White House scrapped.

We've received many copies and variations of this e-mail in the past few weeks.
    Made-up Quotes

To start, the e-mail's anonymous author offers no evidence to substantiate the disparaging remarks about veterans that he or she attributes to President Obama. White House spokesman Tommy Vietor told us that "these quotes are fabricated."

Our own research backs that up. We searched news databases and turned up no news organization that has ever quoted

July 30, 2009 at 11:13 a.m.

• Legion357
    I am stumped; you compared the stimulus (which is temporary and has a dollar limit) to the current health care reform bill…. The stimulus also provided for food stamps and extended unemployment benefits but I just can’t see how you trying to tie this all together.

Help me out.

July 30, 2009 at 11:02 a.m.

• Alton
    Interesting reply…. I can respect your support for a single party platform, but I will stick with the Democrats for my own personal reasons…. No right or wrong, we’re just stating the facts.

You can download a healthcare plan (in PDF format) to your computer and just use search features and scroll down a page you want to print out. The bill will not be voted on until October, so you have plenty of time to read a draft form.

You would know better about the quality of care of the VA, but I know many who do not have any problems with their VA or Medicare. Let’s leave at that for now.

I was not setting up a classification but writing a “matter of fact” statement, when I mention about being in your right mind. Allow me to clarify.

Hector DeAses wrote a nice column in today’s Victoria Advocate describing the role of Congress, the president, the lobbyist, and the corporations. We have not passed any major legislation in the last 40 years, but the president is more of a beggar than a main player in this healthcare reform bill. Max Baucus is the Senate Committee Chairman, who will have the final say on this bill. The separation of powers gave the committee chairman that right. As you well know the house will pass their version in the senate will pass theirs before the administration will have any input. It’s all about the votes.

The chain e-mail was distributed and used twice in the local blogs that stated that the recent hate crime legislation had a clause protecting pedophiles. The email was debunked.

I have followed Barack Obama for over two years, and I have not found not one single shred of evidence of racism, such as testimony from colleagues in Illinois or Washington, DC. It’s the totality of the person..IMO.

July 30, 2009 at 10:54 a.m.

• Is your president a racist? Yes, and he has proven that over and over again with his associations and actions. His health care issues are out of control, he was on record on CNN talking about charging our soldiers for their health care. When the point was made that these people have volenteared to fight and die for their country he stated " that's just it, they volenteared, nobody made them join". Then they are going to try to fine people without health care, if they don't have the money for health care then how are they suppossed to pay the fine? He has put his foot in his mouth way to many times already. In the past 6 months he has run this country into the dirt to just about anybody that would listen to him. He is a socialist that is trying to turn this country into a socialist country. Granted I voted for Bush both terms and the second term....well lets just say it wasn't his brightest moment, but come on, when you start out your term like BO has....that's just rediculous. I havent heard anything about the child molestors yet so I'll leave that one alone.

July 30, 2009 at 9:51 a.m.

• Comment was removed because the contents of the above writings are nothing more than left wing propaganda..

July 30, 2009 at 8:52 a.m.

• I am in my "right" mind, my brain has not "left" my body, so my answer is YES.

July 29, 2009 at 10:16 p.m.

• This comment was removed by the user.

July 29, 2009 at 10:08 p.m.

• About the term fear. I support the statement of Thomas Jefferson, "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny, when the government fears the people there is liberty.

For years I was one of those "Blue Dog" Democrats, I even ran for office as a Democrat along with Pete Geren in 1990's. Some of the "Blue Dogs", like myself, wanted to be part of solution within the party, but were wanted only wanted for votes, fundraisers and etc. left the party. I am my own person; my principles do not change due to treats or pressure. Each individual has to live with his or her choices. I don't see myself coming back into fold "

The Republican Party has moved in a similar direction with moderates within their party. I believe that is why you still see their low survey numbers.

For these reasons I no longer support a single party platform.

Personally at this point I could care less if Obama was born in this country or elsewhere. This issue is like closing the gate after the cows are out. What is done is done.

The on-line copy of the healthcare bill is almost impossible to download and print the 1017 page document. It over heats most home laser printers or requires numerous expensive ink cartilages.

Your ending questions are interesting.
    1. Does anyone believe that any political party would write legislation to harm the elderly?
    Why do you feel the elderly will be treated any different then veterans have been treated? The federal government continues to reduce healthcare benefits for our military, their family, and veterans. And the elderly on Medicare have seen consistent reduction in available healthcare under the Medicare program.

Protect child molesters? Guess I am out of the loop on this issue. I don't know what you are talking about.

That the President of the United States is a racist? Even with his pass associations, writings, and speeches that indicated he had race issues; I had given President Obama a pass on this issue--- until this latest issue. Yes, I believe he is a racist.

But I guess that puts me outside of your in "their right mind" classification.

What I read of the House Medical Bill, it sure gives the President of the United States almost absolute control over the medical care process. He/she will appoint directly or indirectly the individuals that direct the program without them being approved by Congress or any other Congressional oversight.

July 29, 2009 at 8:38 p.m.

• Could there be a reason?

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009, enacted February 17, 2009, provides a new health insurance opportunity for former employees who were or are involuntarily terminated between September 1, 2008, and December 31, 2009.
    Under this new law, former Federal employees may request premium assistance for their temporary continuation of coverage (TCC) under the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program. Premium assistance means your former agency will make a Government contribution of 65 percent of the TCC premiums for your FEHB plan enrollment.

Non-Postal Premium Rates for the Federal Employees Health Benefits Program
    Texas Humana Health Plan of Texas

Standard Family
    UR5

395.19 Total Bi-weekly premium
    296.39 Government pays
    98.80 Employee pays
    5.50 Change in employee payment

856.25 Total monthly premium
    642.19 Government pays
    214.06 Employee pays
    11.92 Change in employee payment

What a sweet deal, and this is for former employees. How many NEW federal employees will be hired to administer
    the proposed Health Care reform? But gee, they won't have to use the "Public Option" or pay a fine for not having
    health care........because, CURRENT OR FORMER, they will already have a sweetheart health care plan.

July 29, 2009 at 8:33 p.m.

• To much diversity, plain and simple.

July 29, 2009 at 7:55 p.m.