Comments

• Because you are beating a dead horse BigJ, one small group of people in one state, they could not make any difference in a national election.

The old cross dresser J. Edgar kept files on everybody, if you where not his kind of American you where either a communist, a socialist or a fascist. How he kept his post for as long as he did,,,,,, well blackmail I guess. At any rate I wouldn't put much stock in his opinions.

June 4, 2009 at 8:08 p.m.

• I am a democrat and I believe in the democratic platform but I do not owe you ,or any one else an explanation for how I vote..Notice I never ask you how you vote..Because I don't care.

Have a good day, Hictoria

At least I admit my bias...It's in my profile,my avatar and in my posts....I am not ashamed nor do I have to apologize for it.

June 4, 2009 at 3:25 p.m.

• Mike - If Ronald McDonald were the president, you would justify anything he did and back him just because he was a democrat.

June 4, 2009 at 3:20 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    Sorry I did not answer your response yesterday, but just so many hours in a day.

I will skip over the petty part and try to answer your insinuations because if left unanswered, it might be taken for the truth..lol

You say his admistration is taking over the banks, insurance companies, automobile manufacturing and medical care. In what way?It was those entities that came to the government, hat in hand….The insurance companies, Big Pharma, and medical practitioners are all at the table trying to negotiate a deal…Health care cost came to $2.2 trillion last year, don’t you think it is about time someone tries to get a handle on it? I don’t think the insurance companies are complaining because its customer’s costs are going up.

I agree Mr. Obama has a limited resume, but he does not lack in intelligence or leadership skills. I think the electorate saw him use those skills beating veteran Democratic candidates and doing the same to John McCain. I watched all 21 or so debates, plus the two with McCain and I saw he had command of the issues. You probably don’t agree but your side is in the minority.

You say he should try and work with republicans, I agree, but that is a two way street...He has and will continue to reach out and I can give you several examples where he has.

I know I did not change your mind one iota, but I gave an answer.

June 4, 2009 at 3:09 p.m.

• Much to the surprise of the right, unions do not sign a unilateral contract.

Civil rights, equal pay for equal work, minimum wage, are all enemies of the bottom line for the corporations. The corporations will whine about tax increases but will pay enormous amounts to a lobbyist firm, for a favorable government contract.

June 4, 2009 at 10:49 a.m.

• Thanks SugarMagnolia
    If we all agreed then it would be boring;-)

BTW I remeber you saying that you recieved your Houston Chronicle by mail..I bought the this past Sunday's edition at Ramseys..I hope they continue to offer it. It will save me a trip to Ganado.

June 4, 2009 at 8:59 a.m.

• IMO, taking the property of someone-- who used their honest skills, talent, and labor to earn the property---and give it to someone that will not provide any benefit to "the giver" is plain old stealing. Why should the property of someone that dies be taxed again just, because they can not live forever? The government should not steal from the pockets of the dead and take their land and property.
    And what is this demonization of corporations all about? Corporations are owned by individuals. If they purchase common stock, they have the legal right to vote for the Board of Directors to oversee the operations to provide them a reasonable profit. They provide the majority of Americans a way to own a part of a company. I agree the government has becamed corrupted taking political campaign contributions from corporations and reduced the funding and blocking actions of oversight departments/agencies.

June 4, 2009 at 1:17 a.m.

• I contend very few individuals really understand their political positon, because there is more than just the economical positon of left and right. There is also the social position of lower and upper. The extreme left is communism, the extreme right is neo-libertarian. The extreme lower social positon is Anarchism/Libertarion, and the extreme upper social position is Fascism/Authoritarian.

One of the best internet sources that allows a person to take a test to determine their position and to learn where other political leaders fall is "www.politicalcompass.org". This site is very educationial teaching the basics through graphs and simple examples. The site is not an complete educationial course-- like one you would encounter in a college Political Science Theory class.

June 4, 2009 at 12:43 a.m.

• Heh, heh, Mike.....welcome back. As always, your blogs generate great discussion and always make for interesting reading. It's never boring when you're around. So good to have you back!

June 3, 2009 at 6:01 p.m.

• Vet..."# List of US Federal Government Aid Agencies
    # List of US Federal Government Grant Opportunities
    # List of US Federal Government Funding Programs
    # Eligible Applicants Sorted by Organizational Categories
    # Functional Categories of US Federal Government Assistance
    # Categories of Eligible Beneficiaries
    # Student Financial Aid, Scholarships, Fellowships, Traineeships
    # Government Grants and Loans for Business
    # Government Grant and Loan Programs for Health
    # Government Grant and Loan Programs for Housing
    # Government Grant, Loan, Federal Assistance, and Mortgage Insurance Programs for Real Estate"

How many of those are authorized by the Constitution? If the damn taxes weren't so high, ordinary citizens wouldn't need so much "assistance" from the government.

I'm old enough to be elegible for Social Security next year. I'm gonna take it and I won't feel like a hypocrit. The government forced me to participate and the pact with me and every other citizen -- except for those in congress -- is in effect and I'm going to collect on it. I started doing the math several years ago about how much I could have invested if I hadn't had to contribute to SS. The figure was beginning to be amazing when the interest was figured in. I could have retired years ago and still had enough that the recent downturn would have left me with more than I have now. If somehow we could get the government out of our pockets, our jobs and our bedrooms, this country would go back to being the land of the free again.

June 3, 2009 at 5:55 p.m.

• Mike..."This economy is supposed to have a mild recovery at the start of the 4th qtr .How many jobs will be saved or added?"

Tell you what, Mike. If he ever does something good, I'll say so. So far, hundreds of thousands of jobs are gone, and yeah, he's living like a freakin' king. He doesn't even care as much as Carter did. At least HE turned down the heat in the White House and tried to look like he was concerned. If the economy turns around, then, yeah, he should take the wife and party hearty. Till then, let him keep his butt in the White House taking care of business. I'm sure all those people who are "sacrificing" for thier kids and grandkids are so proud.

"what are we supposed to do lock him and his wife in their rooms…"

Count the helicopters, jet aircraft and limos and SUVs. Somehow, I think he could have made the trip a little less heavy handed. They could have a done a car and escort SUV between the White House and Andrews. The Guflstream to LaGuardia and then a car and escort to the restaurant. Has he gotten so spoiled in five months?

"You have it in for this president, I know that, and you will never give him any credit at all, but 64 million people elected him to do what he promised and I see he is doing his very best every day."

You're right. I DON'T like the SOM and count the days till he's (hopefully) out of office. You say he's doing his best. That's spooky. His administration is taking over the banks, insurance, automobile manufacturing and medical care. What next? Is BO going to start showing the rest of us how to properly flip a hamburger? Whatever happened to private enterprise? He's printing money like Kleenex makes tissue -- and I'm afraid that by the time the year is out, the pictures of George Washington will be worth about as much a a Kleenex tissue. Mike, he's never in his life done anything except to convince people to vote for him. He was a no-show in the Illinois legislature. He never did anything in the U.S. Senate. He's never run a business -- never expected to make a profit -- never had to meet a payroll -- never had any responsibility. That is till he got elected by those 64 million people you are so proud of. At the end of four years with him in the Oval Office, I'm afraid that the only way we'll recognize any of America is to read history books.

I do have on serious suggestion for BO. I'd like to see him try to work with the republicans and get a little -- just a small amount -- of bi-partisanship working. Perhaps he could -- oh, I don't know -- go hunting with Dick Cheny.

June 3, 2009 at 5:42 p.m.

• Looks like pettiness from all sides by the comments on this thread.

June 3, 2009 at 5:41 p.m.

• Sorry. That should read "days of vacation Bush took to Crawford." I keep running outside looking for rain.

June 3, 2009 at 5:24 p.m.

• Someone please remind me how many days of vacation took to Crawford, etc.
    Was it 900+ days? Naw, that can't be Wonder how much it cost the taxpayers to fly out the Bin Laden family on 9/11?

June 3, 2009 at 5:13 p.m.

• Yea,we gave Ronald (the Great) Reagan 18 months to turn around Carter's fiasco.

June 3, 2009 at 5:10 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    I don’t buy the GOP argument on the Estate Tax and small business…I think it only affects about 3,000 people because it has a $2 million applicable exclusion amount…Most avoid that tax with trusts etc….It’s like the ANWAR argument.

June 3, 2009 at 5:07 p.m.

• I'm ashamed of Obama. He's been in office for 5 months and he hasn't fixed this fiasco yet??

June 3, 2009 at 4:59 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    That is so petty, Obama (as any president) is on duty 24/7 ;so what are we supposed to do lock him and his wife in their rooms…None of us have Pakistan, North Korea, GM, economy, Health Care Reform and petty people complaining all the time, on their plate..He is underpaid..IMO

This economy is supposed to have a mild recovery at the start of the 4th qtr .How many jobs will be saved or added? You have it in for this president, I know that, and you will never give him any credit at all, but 64 million people elected him to do what he promised and I see he is doing his very best every day.

You have that calculator that is missing the {plus key} so all you will ever see is money going ou,t but if we can stop the rising cost of Health Care and show a little growth (just .5%) and we start to withdraw our troops from Iraq, those deficits numbers will change….Funny, you never monitored the last administration on a daily basis….If you would have ,you might still angry over that $9 billion(sent to Iraq) ,that is still unaccounted for …Saying you were not aware ,is no excuse.:-)

June 3, 2009 at 4:53 p.m.

• Well, does Tenet have to give his medal back? I wonder how this makes the soldiers serving in Iraq and how about the families of the dead? Mission Accomplished.

At least Bush told the truth:

June 3, 2009 at 4:43 p.m.

• That’s a good list Vet...It seems that the conservatives like Raymond Smith live by “Less government in business and more business in government.”

What is with Dick Cheney, it seems like he is turning state evidence.

1. Now he is saying, we never had evidence to prove that Saddam Hussein had anything to do with 9/11…Why the invasion?
    2...Now he is blaming George Tenet for the CIA”s faulty intelligence...They lied?
    3. Now he is blaming Richard Clarke for not warning us about 9/11…What about the PDBs?
    4... Now it is not any specific info obtained by enhanced interrogation that saved lives but the program overall.
    5. Now he is saying Bush shamefully handed off GM to Obama.

Never mind I forgot about “they will greet us with roses”, “the insurgents are in their last throes’ and all the other lies.

June 3, 2009 at 4:32 p.m.

• Aww, the heck with it:

June 3, 2009 at 4:21 p.m.

• Can't make the stupid links work:
    List of US Federal Government Aid Agencies

June 3, 2009 at 4:18 p.m.

• Mike..."Good luck trying to sell that philosophy to the Internal Revenue but I am content paying my fair share."

Mike, I don't mind paying my fair share, but the infernal revenooers want more than a person's FAIR SHARE. I'd like somebody to explain how the government figures it has a stake in a person's estate when he dies. When families must sell the business or family farm that they have run for decades in order to pay ESTATE taxes , there's something rotten, and it ain't in Denmark.

We see in the new era of "change we can believe in" that government isn't changing when it comes to wasteful spending. When the president takes his ol' lady to New York for a "date" and it costs the taxpayers at least a quarter-milliion dollars, wasteful spending is alive and well inside the beltway.

Taxpayers are being laid off from good paying jobs by the thousands and BO says that's a good thing; that they can be proud that they are sacrificing for thier children's future. Uh huh. I notice HE ain't sacrificing. As long as he gets to live like a king on the taxpayer's dime, he won't change a thing. Other presidents have had royal presidencies as well, and lived the kingly life, but the economy was not in the toilet. As long as the people who pay the tab for BO's regal lifestyle are losing good paying jobs by the thousands each month, he should stay close to the government housing he's supplied with.

June 3, 2009 at 4:09 p.m.

• If people are concerned about "socialism", they need to contact their congresscritter and complain about it. Next, hide and see what they do about it, because they will be drummed out of office quick.
    Maybe a list of where tax money or, er socialism goes would help:

# List of US Federal Government Aid Agencies
    # List of US Federal Government Grant Opportunities
    # List of US Federal Government Funding Programs
    # Eligible Applicants Sorted by Organizational Categories
    # Functional Categories of US Federal Government Assistance
    # Categories of Eligible Beneficiaries
    # Student Financial Aid, Scholarships, Fellowships, Traineeships
    # Government Grants and Loans for Business
    # Government Grant and Loan Programs for Health
    # Government Grant and Loan Programs for Housing

And a link to make everyone's day:

June 3, 2009 at 4:02 p.m.

• Mike,

Good point about giving being from the heart. If a person stops giving because they can no longer deduct it from their taxes on Schedule A, they were NEVER giving for the right reason to begin with. Those who give to God give because they love God not because it's a great tax deduction.

June 3, 2009 at 2:53 p.m.

• Taxation is theft?exresident has been itching for that argument for about two weeks.

I haven't heard that anarcho,capitalist,Libertarian argument since I retired seven years ago.I used to work with a fellow that used to entertain us with his taxation and forced labor arguments.

I did my time (30 years) of arguing this subject but I suspect you have been itching to get your view point out, since last weekend when you made a reference to it on my blog.....I didn't know that movement was still out there

Anyway Warren Buffet was not talking about his situation ,he was using it to reference the GOP movement to abolish the Death Tax (The Estate Tax).

June 3, 2009 at 2 p.m.

• You’re quite welcome, Malaise.

Raymond Smith did not mention the middle class and but he did say some will grow wealthy in a capitalistic society, but often those of wealth shared voluntarily….. That is the trickle down economic philosophy I have been hearing for about 30 years. It was George H.W. Bush that called that trickle down, supply side philosophy “Voodoo economics.”

Raymond Smith calls himself a conservative activist; in an ongoing culture war…. Sounds like a disciple of Bill O’Reilly…. A culture warrior.:-)

June 3, 2009 at 1:29 p.m.

• Thank you, Mike, for your thoughtful response to the op-ed. Mr. Smith also didn't mention what Warren Buffet said about eliminating estate taxes:

"Dynastic wealth, the enemy of a meritocracy, is on the rise. Equality of opportunity has been on the decline," Buffett said. "A progressive and meaningful estate tax is needed to curb the movement of a democracy toward plutocracy."

and

"Further shifting of this burden away from the super-rich is not the way to go," he said.

"In a country that prides itself on equality of opportunity, it's becoming anything but that as the gap between the super-rich and the middle class is widening."

This is just one area of economic and social policy involved in democracy vs socialism. There has to be just as much concern over going too far towards plutocracy.

Good day.

June 3, 2009 at 11:56 a.m.