Comments

• The bill only affected public universities, not private ones that already charge whatever they want.

Since UT and A&M are the two largest systems with the most campuses and enrollment, of course they would benefit the most.

All public universities benefited Texas A&M University System,Texas State University System,Texas Tech University System
    University of Houston System,University of North Texas System
    University of Texas System,Midwestern State University,Stephen F. Austin State University,
    Texas Southern University and Texas Woman's University.

June 7, 2009 at 1:01 p.m.

• Big J ,
    I have connected the dots, the state colleges were screaming for either more state funding, or to raise per credit hour rates, the state of Texas was not going to give them more money so they decided to deregulate what they could charge.

I admit it was not a good idea , even tho Morrison introduced the bill, she was far from the only one to vote for it....

The House passed a resolution
    supporting tuition deregulation
    103-39 Saturday. The vote in the
    Senate was 17-13.

June 6, 2009 at 4:56 p.m.

• swbones
    It takes two to tango, besides the Carter 1979 Peace Accord between Egypt and Israel allowed for a $3 billion to be paid annually to each country; in order avoid war…

Israel is not a shrinking violet ;besides they have nukes and the full support of the United States military….A few rockets and rocks by the Palestinians will not destroy Israel.

Hate between Jews and Muslims did not start 60 years ago...It is impossible to broker a peace treaty when religion is involved ,because neither will compromise.

June 6, 2009 at 10:46 a.m.

• This is your brain.......

This is you brain on Kool Aid

"PC, = hate code word."

Good grief, get a life.

The Victoria Advocate branch of the Daily Kos lives still.

June 6, 2009 at 8:39 a.m.

Obama does have it wrong and all who think the Arab world will stop attacking Israel when the Palestinians have their own country.

Take a look at the map on this site, created by a Jordanian company. The Muslim world does not recognize Israel.
    You folks need to pull your heads out of your PC rear point of contact. This is not going to end....

June 6, 2009 at 2:24 a.m.

• Gennie Williams.... err Morison, all she did tho it was a bad idea, was to deregulate the state universities credit hour fees, so the students paid more and the taxpayers paid less.

June 5, 2009 at 7:16 p.m.

• BigJ
    I separate state politics from national politics….I don’t have anything against Geanie Morrison but then again I don’t keep up with Texas politics…National politics affects my life a lot more than legislators ,that meet every two years …IMO

Plus, I get all the side shows, like Rush and Palin .Sarah.Palin is saying Obama is going to take over the states and Rush said since Obama owns the banks, he won't let them lend money to talk radio and newspapers, giving him control over the media….You can’t make this stuff up…There are people out there that actually believe this stuff…They are a paranoid bunch.

June 5, 2009 at 6:37 p.m.

• Waywardwind
    In politics, nothing is left to chance but after looking at the exit polls and the demographics, he did not need to worry….The old southern voters didn’t really care what his middle- name was..:-)

June 5, 2009 at 2:55 p.m.

• I think you need to look at how medals are given out in the military. One more: Google PFC LaVena Johnson.

June 5, 2009 at 2:38 p.m.

• Those soldiers get Purple Hearts and Bronze Stars already. Figured you would know that Vietnam Vet. My friend is a Vietnam Vet Marine Captain and just now came down with PTSD. He already had his medals and deserved every one of them in my opinion. I wasn't online here for the Pat Tillman timefram nor did I pay attention to media then. I would of been outraged. Anyone who dies ready to fight for the country is a hero and should be treated as such. I don't care who president is, but will be against any who do not treat the military with the respect and recognition they deserve whether it republican or democrat.

That's all I have on this subject. May God be with PVT Long's family and all the other's lost in all wars for our country.

June 5, 2009 at 2:35 p.m.

• "Yes, I understand politics and I am glad he did not use his middle name during the campaign because many people would be immediately TURNED OFF ,and he might never had a chance to be president."

Gee, Mike, you mean enough of those 64 million true believers might not have been fooled and the outcome of the election might have been different if he'd used his whole name?

June 5, 2009 at 2:25 p.m.

• Well, then, how about the guys who died from faulty wiring in showers? What kind of medals do they deserve? What about the soldiers who have come home with brain injuries and PTSD? What about the soldiers who zapped themselves?

June 5, 2009 at 2:23 p.m.

• Then there was Cpl. Pat Tillman and the cover up after all the embarrassment of death by friendly fire…No outrage then because a Republican president was the commander-in-chief….Perhaps one day Fox News will interview the parents of pat Tillman and ask them how they feel…I seriously doubt it.

June 5, 2009 at 2:19 p.m.

• Negative Vietnam Vet..Your buddy died in a accident. PVT Long died from an intentional shooting from a Jihadist.

June 5, 2009 at 2:15 p.m.

• A buddy of mine who was home on leave several years ago before his 3rd tour of the 'Nam died on the highway after an accident with a drunk driver.So by the logic I see in here about Pvt. Long, God rest his soul, my buddy should've been awarded a medal of some sort.

June 5, 2009 at 2:12 p.m.

• Politics and ignorance was the reason Barack did not use his middle-name and I told you that in that blog you referenced..You used his name as a political weapon as I recall, and many low-intellectuals in the southern part of the United States saw that Arab name and were scared off….Remember the old lady McCain corrected when she said “He is an Arab.”

Politics like hiding Sarah Palins scary religious relationships, John McCain releasing his medical records for only an hour and to selected reporters…Yes, I understand politics and I am glad he did not use his middle name during the campaign because many people would be immediately TURNED OFF ,and he might never had a chance to be president. He did say he had a funny last name….Do you think we would have had a president JFK would have divulged his illness or FDR?

Wayward,what's the old saying "I was born at night but not last night."..You did not fool anyone,we rightly called you on it...The truth?..:-)

June 5, 2009 at 1:51 p.m.

• Mike...I'm glad you finally came around to agreeing with me about BO's middle name. I used it back during the campaign and was blasted for it. I said we used Lyndon BAINES Johnson, John FITZGERALD Kennedy, Franklin DELANO Roosevelt, etc. but my using Hussein was considered to be somehow offensive. NOW, it's all goodness and truth.

June 5, 2009 at 1:32 p.m.

• As I said yesterday, some right-wing ideologues faked their outrage over the death of Pvt. Long began when the president condemned the death of Dr. Tiller…I respect the sincere, but I think it is despicable for anyone to use this tragedy for political gain...I saw how Bill O'Reilly switched to this story after MSM came after him for a comment on Dr. Tiller and I have caught bits and pieces of talk radio chatter.

In a statement released by the White House Wednesday, President Obama said, “I am deeply saddened by this senseless act of violence against two brave young soldiers who were doing their part to strengthen our armed forces and keep our country safe. I would like to wish Quinton Ezeagwula a speedy recovery, and to offer my condolences and prayers to William Long’s family as they mourn the loss of their son.”

The president will probably not reject any recommendation the Defense Department recommends, regarding honoring the death of Pvt. Long…

June 5, 2009 at 1:02 p.m.

• Well, yeah pretty much what itsallfunny said.

June 5, 2009 at 12:17 p.m.

• I believe he has the wrong ideas for the military and do not support him. Despite my views, PVT Long should be recognized by the President as a war casualty and treated as such with the honor and dignity we give to them.

June 5, 2009 at 12:15 p.m.

• vakemp
    Does that mean that Obama hates the military?
    Is he for the terrorist like Limbaugh suggests?

This president will never do anything right for the ideologues.

Ditto R.I.P. Pvt . Long

June 5, 2009 at 12:01 p.m.

• From the wires:

Pvt. William Long, 23, was killed and Pvt. Quinton I. Ezeagwula, 18, was wounded. Both completed basic training recently and had never seen combat. They volunteered to help attract others into military service, and were shot as they smoked cigarettes outside the recruiting center.
    I will agree RIP Pvt. Long.

June 5, 2009 at 11:56 a.m.

• RIP Pvt Long. Obama did you wrong, but your military brothers and sisters know you fought on the battlefield and for the US.

June 5, 2009 at 11:48 a.m.